Author Topic: Baptism Location in Pembrokeshire  (Read 3766 times)

Offline lyndahirst_1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Baptism Location in Pembrokeshire
« on: Sunday 26 April 15 09:27 BST (UK) »
Hi There

Martha Evans, dtr of James Evans and Elizabeth, was baptised 1836 in the Parish of Amroth, Pembrokeshire.

The 'abode' is noted as being what looks like 'Rhydlangolgue' but I can't find anywhere mentioned in any Gazetteer so unsure if this is a farm or a hamlet of some kind.

Can any one shed any light?

Thanks...
Lynda
South Wales - main trunk family names - mam's side:-
Beard, Crandon, Clement, Lawrence, Langdon, Cartwright, Griffiths, Housego, Llewellyn, Stevens, Thomas. 

Father's side:
Williams, Rosser, Griffiths, Jones, Thomas, Llewellyn, Charles, Davies, Phillips, Powell

Online Sam Swift

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism Location in Pembrokeshire
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 April 15 09:58 BST (UK) »
It could be Rhydlangoed - (and entry could be an Anglicized interpretation of the Welsh name). There's an 1901 Census entry for an Evans family living at Rhydlangoed paich of Amroth :  Griffith 34 yrs born Llanddewi, Sarah Ann 30, William G 5 & John Ivor 2. RG13 Piece number   5118 Folio   104 Page   11 schedule. Rhydlangoed is enumerated between Colby Lodge & Cocks Nest and then comes the Vicerage.

Offline Pinetree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 April 15 11:32 BST (UK) »
I think it might be the name of a cottage in the village.  On 1841 census the Parsell family is living there HO107/1448/1 it is between Cats hays and Penny Back.

Pinetree

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lyndahirst_1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 April 15 11:42 BST (UK) »
thank you for that Sam -- I've just found another child baptised and that appears to be Bryn something... I've added that one too.
Beard, Crandon, Clement, Lawrence, Langdon, Cartwright, Griffiths, Housego, Llewellyn, Stevens, Thomas. 

Father's side:
Williams, Rosser, Griffiths, Jones, Thomas, Llewellyn, Charles, Davies, Phillips, Powell

Offline lyndahirst_1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 April 15 11:45 BST (UK) »
ahhhh.. thanks Pinetree... That does look like the name indeed... :-) Thanks....

Father's side:

Offline Pinetree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 April 15 13:37 BST (UK) »
Do you have access to 1841 census?  I've been trying to make the places listed fit with a map in the front of my copy of Roscoe Howells from Amroth to Utah but with limited success.  I think we can safely say it was a cottage or smallholding on the Wisemansbridge side of Amroth but the list of places on the census jump about a bit compared to where they appear on the map.

In 1851 the Parsell family are living at the Counting House - I'm not sure if they have moved or the property has changed name (may be a name change as a number of her neighbours seem to be the same as in 1841). The 1851 census seems to fit the map more logically heading from The Burrows/Temple Bar west towards Wisemansbridge and I think the property you are interested in will have been somewhere in this area.

Pinetree
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline omega 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 26 April 15 13:56 BST (UK) »
Hello Lynda

A bit from a book I have.

Colby Lodge,Amroth.The earliest name of the property was Rhydlangoeg.A farmhouse in the 18th century belonging to the Skyrmes of Vaynor ,Llawhaden.
In 1852 a Thomas Evans was living there.

omega
Pembrokeshire
James,Gibby,David/Davies,Evan/s,Edward,Thomas,Griffith,Brown,Richards,Phillipps
Carmarthenshire
Thomas,Wilkin,James
Glamorganshire
James
Husbands side
Sussex,Mitchell,White,Hew/Hugh,Peter/s,Lower,Goring,Skinner,Cavey,Padgham,Brann,Graves,Hards,Easton,Moon,Gibb/s,Shepherd
Kent,Curties,Harris/Cleverly
Buckinhamshire
Shephard,Tuck,Philips

Scotland,Riddle

Todd,could be Old Windsor or somewhere I Lincolnshire,John Todd didn't seem to know

Online mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 26 April 15 22:18 BST (UK) »
It is shown on old maps as Cosby lodge or rhydlangoed, up the hill and inland from the sea.

It may now be part of the national trust Colby woodland gardens, we were there last year.

Mike.

Offline lyndahirst_1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 28 April 15 11:12 BST (UK) »
thanks all for your assistance -- what a great bunch of knowledgeable people!

Think I'll go with  :Rhydlangoeg: as the original seems to have an English 'twist' of spelling!

Although to be fair mind, I'd have struggled to spell it myself if I'm been tasked with taking the census!

The 1851 Thomas Evans is the family I'm following up ....

Thanks again....

Father's side: