Author Topic: "Anthony Occould....something?!" - Any ideas?  (Read 2776 times)

Offline rich23434565

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
"Anthony Occould....something?!" - Any ideas?
« on: Sunday 26 April 15 13:44 BST (UK) »
This is from the Miserden Parish Register in Gloucestershire. The year is 1605 and it reads:

"the 25th day of May was buryed Anthonye Occould..." but what do you think are the two words that come after?

I believe the first one is "alias" and then maybe "Smythe"?

I just can't make it out and it's sort of important. An Anthony Occould was baptised at Miserden in 1601 and I'm trying to work out if the baptism and the burial are records of the same individual or of someone else. Would a four-year-old child be called 'alias'? The register is inconsistent but when a child dies it often refers to the child's father, so I'm inclined to think this Anthony Occould was an adult.

Any suggestions welcome!

Rich

ETA: right-click and select vue image if it looks too big to be seen in full :)
London (Stepney, Hackney, Lambeth): Hayden, Jones, De Brader, Detenon
France & The Netherlands (Amsterdam): Detenon, De Brader, Slingerland, Goetje, Fokke
Ireland: Hayden, Mealey/Mealy
India: Padam
Gloucestershire: Cripps, Morse, Heaven, Timbrell, Draper, Olliffe, Adeane, Young, Goodrich
Hampshire: Voller
Sussex: Wenham, Rogers
Derbyshire: Lacey, Thompson

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: "Anthony Occould....something?!" - Any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 April 15 13:49 BST (UK) »
I think you are spot on - Anthonye Occould alias Smythe. I too am inclined to think that the alias suggests he was an adult, though it's difficult to be certain based on this alone.

Alexander

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 April 15 13:58 BST (UK) »
Regards

Malky

Offline rich23434565

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 April 15 15:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the replies. It does look like Smythe but then it's sometimes hard to know if you're seeing shapes in the clouds. I'll go through the register for the period when this particular rector was recording the BMDs and see if there are any Smythes with which I can compared the handwriting.

The 'alias' is strange. I've come across it before with another family but this is the first and only time I've had it connected with someone called Occould/Ockold. I do get the impression that this was an adult burial but I agree that it's impossible to be sure.
France & The Netherlands (Amsterdam): Detenon, De Brader, Slingerland, Goetje, Fokke
Gloucestershire: Cripps, Morse, Heaven, Timbrell, Draper, Olliffe, Adeane, Young, Goodrich

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 April 15 16:50 BST (UK) »
I would tend to agree with Alexander... he is good at this and is usually correct.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline rich23434565

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 02 May 15 10:43 BST (UK) »
This is another Occould baptism from the same parish register. I'm really struggling with this rector's spidery writing. It's from 1604/5

I can see:

"the xxiii of March was baptised __? __? Katherine? Occould the daughter of Richard Occould and Barbara his wife"

What on earth are the two missing words?? The first looks like 'Barley' but it obviously isn't. I've no idea.

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 02 May 15 13:09 BST (UK) »
I think the missing word is simply 'barptysed' (baptised). What had been written on the previous line was 'barpsed' (missing the 'ti'), and then the whole word was crossed out.

Also, the date is xviiith (18th) not 23rd.

Alexander

Offline rich23434565

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 02 May 15 15:39 BST (UK) »
I think the missing word is simply 'barptysed' (baptised). What had been written on the previous line was 'barpsed' (missing the 'ti'), and then the whole word was crossed out.

Also, the date is xviiith (18th) not 23rd.

Alexander

Yes, that would make sense! Thanks. :)

Do you think it's definitely Katherine (or some variation)?

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 02 May 15 15:49 BST (UK) »
Yes, I think it's probably a spelling of Katherine. It looks to be written as 'Katerne'.

Alexander