Author Topic: Sarah Boswell / Bozwell  (Read 8070 times)

Offline Carole Gomez

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Sarah Boswell / Bozwell
« on: Sunday 26 April 15 18:42 BST (UK) »
Hello
I'd love some help with my 5th great grandmother Sarah Boswell (b circa 1765 d1867)  She married my 5th great grandfather Woodfine Smith in 1811 in Warwickshire. In the records her name seems to be written as Bozwell, but I suspect that's just an error by whoever was writing the record. I have traced Woodfine's family, but I can't find anything about Sarah, her siblings or parents. If anyone has any information I'd be very grateful.
Thanks!
Price & Griffiths (Swansea), Horwood & Harris (Herts/Bucks), Robertson (Aberdeenshire/London), Vamplew (Lincolnshire /London),  Smith (Romani Travellers/BlackPatch), Greig (Aberdeenshire) Grimes (Norfolk)

Offline Carole Gomez

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Boswell / Bozwell
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 April 15 18:50 BST (UK) »
Ah, I just realised I should have posted this in the Travelling People forum. Is there a way I can move it there? Sorry  ::)
Price & Griffiths (Swansea), Horwood & Harris (Herts/Bucks), Robertson (Aberdeenshire/London), Vamplew (Lincolnshire /London),  Smith (Romani Travellers/BlackPatch), Greig (Aberdeenshire) Grimes (Norfolk)

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 April 15 19:26 BST (UK) »
are those dates correct ?...born c 1765 - died 1867 - that makes her 102 ....not many people lived that long in those days ?? and she would have been 46 when she married in 1811 ?
do you know if she was born in Hillmorton - where she married ?
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NVWP-X6P

added

the only possible for 1765 in Warwickshire I can find - Buzwell ??
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VHXS-ZHL
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline heatherjulie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 April 15 19:49 BST (UK) »
Woodbine was 102 when he died Garstonite!

Offline Carole Gomez

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 April 15 20:06 BST (UK) »
My dates could well be slightly iffy for her, but it is true that Woodfine was 102 when he died. Sturdy stock the gypsies!  She could have been born anywhere, unlikely to be the same place she married as they were travelling people. I have a book by Josephine Tombs that covers the Family tree of Woodfine from 1750 to 1900, but it doesn't have any information on Sarah as it concentrates on their children. I'll make a start on investigating the link to the Buzwells you posted, it could just be another spelling misunderstanding as seemed quite common. Thanks heaps!

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 April 15 06:44 BST (UK) »
Woodbine was 102 when he died Garstonite!

quote    Hello
I'd love some help with my 5th great grandmother Sarah Boswell (b circa 1765 d1867) ????....says grandmother - so she was 102 as well ??
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 April 15 07:23 BST (UK) »
The GRO Indexes (as seen on FreeBMD) show ages at dea5th from the mid-1860's on.

I can't see a Sarah Smith, aged 102?

Where did she die?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Carole Gomez

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 27 April 15 07:51 BST (UK) »
I'm not entirely sure where she died. The youngest of her children Trezi Ann was born in 1824 in Grimscote, Northamptonshire, England. The child before that was born in Weedon Lois, Northamptonshire in 1818 and the one before that (also 1818) was in Badden, Northamptonshire so she may have stuck to travelling around the Northamptonshire area. I'm more certain that her year of birth is correct as I've taken than from the Josephine Tombs book. The death may well be wrong

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 27 April 15 08:02 BST (UK) »
Good Morning Carole - if you are certain that her birth year is correct - the only one that shows on IGI is this one
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VHXS-ZHL

I know it says Buswell - but you have to consider Travelling Peoples accent ?...
Boswell
Bozwell
Buswell - would all sound the same to a curate - and also not all Curates were completely literate in reading and writing like they are now ??
maybe  make a note of the Sarah Buswell christened 27th October in Nuneaton,Warwickshire - parents
John Buswell
Eliza /Elizabeth Buswell
I will see if I can find their marriage to see how that is spelt
ADDED
A marriage also in Nuneaton and it is back to Boswell
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NVBQ-93B
so - I wouldn't rule out the Sarah Buswell christening in 1775
 :)