Author Topic: Elizabeth Thomas/Jones  (Read 1313 times)

Offline paintedlady

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Elizabeth Thomas/Jones
« on: Monday 27 April 15 01:02 BST (UK) »
Any information on Elizabeth Thomas b.1847/48 in nant-y-felin Llanfairfechan to Ellen Thomas my great, great grandmother who was obviously unmarried at the time.

Ellen married my great,great grandfather John Jones in 1851 after his 1st wife had died in 1850 and Ellen  brought to the marriage this little daughter Elizabeth.  She also bore John 4 sons who I have details of, but I cannot find what happened to Elizabeth, i.e. who she married, did she change her name to Jones as on one of the census when she lived with John and her mother Ellen and family she appears as Elizabeth Jones!  Did people adopt children in those days or did they just change the surname to who their mother married?  The family lived at The Smithy in Llanrhos for many years as John was a blacksmith, then Llanfairfechan and eventually Colwyn Bay. I have no idea where to find details of her at all, especially as she may have changed her name to 'Jones'. 

Any ideas would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Sue

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Thomas/Jones
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 April 15 21:07 BST (UK) »
Some children kept their original surname, and some took on the new one.
Some are on the censuses with the new surname, but marry in their original one.
If the family stayed at Llanrhos for many years, have you looked at the parish registers for likely marriages or deaths?