Author Topic: West Bromwich/Dudley/Oldbury/Tipton Church Baptisms  (Read 4712 times)

Offline Daveys History

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
West Bromwich/Dudley/Oldbury/Tipton Church Baptisms
« on: Monday 27 April 15 12:09 BST (UK) »
Good Morning,

Does anyone know if the above records are available on disc or, have access to these Baptism records for period 1843 - 1861 ?

I am looking for details of any children born to Reuben/Rubin Roberts (Boatbuilder/Carpenter) and wife Catherine.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks. Dave R.

Offline sunflower

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: West Bromwich/Dudley/Oldbury/Tipton Church Baptisms
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 April 15 12:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave

Have you looked on this site

http://www.bmsgh.org/

it covers Warwickshire, Staffordshire, & Worcestershire

Carol
Derby- Bamford,Slater,Marriott,Lee,Fox,Hopkinson,Hawksley, Furniss, Froggatt, Stodd.
Notts - Breeding, Lacey Marriott ,Kershaw,Chambers,Geeson,Mitchell,Watts,Potts,Slack,Robinson, Cooper
Yorkshire - Potts, Bell, Derbyshire, Kershaw
Worcestershire - Dyson, Summers, Dearn, Jones
Warwickshire - Russon
Leicestershire - Stodd, Sarson, Berridge, Watts, Bradshaw.
Middlesex / Surrey - Markham, Pearce, Kalaher, Barrett

This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 April 15 12:30 BST (UK) »
The parish registers for All Saints, West Bromwich can be found at Sandwell Community History & Archives Service.
Those for St Mark, Tipton can also be found at Sandwell.

The parish registers for Christ Church, West Bromwich can be found at Staffordshire Record Office.
Those for St John Tipton, St Martin Tipton, St Matthew Tipton and St Paul Tipton can also be found at Staffordshire Record Office.

Those for Dudley and Oldbury will be at Worcestershire Record Office.

Have you tried FamilySearch?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline weste

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 April 15 19:24 BST (UK) »
I think west brom christ church and some oldbury e.g rounds green are on microfische at sandwell archives as well . Have you looked at freereg for tipton? Sandwell also have some kings Norton ones as well. Dudley archives have st thomas for example and a lot of non conformist ones for the area. Dudley have a lot of their stuff on microfilm. I've never seen so many reels of film. They also have a lot of individual registers. Sandwell have a lot of smethwick churches e.g holy trinity and also have a few wednesbury.

Offline jacquelineve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 29 April 15 09:28 BST (UK) »

Can you give childrens names/dates of birth?

Have you found the family on census?

Jackie
Dudley Worcs:Ellis Durkin Oakley Rich Smith
Baggot Saunders Turner Williams Hobbs
Harts Hill: Baggot Wright

Tipton:Whitehouse (boatman) Timmins
Yorkshire:Littlewood Wilcockson
Derbyshire:Wilcockson

Derby Belper:Spencer
Herefordshire Brampton Bryan:-Turner

Worcs. Hereford. Gloucs.
Hodgetts

Radnorshire: Meredith
Bristol Somerset: Box

Census Information is Crown Copyright from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Daveys History

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 29 April 15 12:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your input folks, I have tried bmsgh and family search to no avail.

The information about where these records are is of great help, when I can get to the area and do a manual search (in the absence it seems of anything being on line or on disc).

Jackie - I already actually know of three sons for Reuben and Catherine (Oliver 1843 - Banbury before they came to the black country, John Benjamin 1847 West Bromwich and Charles Henry 1850 Tipton). My reason for looking for baptism records for ANY children is to establish if Reuben and Catherine did (hopefully) baptise their family. I am actually looking for a fourth child (who had died by 1901 - USA census (birth and death between UK censuses). By 1851 they were in Birmingham (three sons on the census, ditto 1861, before they emigrated to Utah in 1862. I have checked Birmingham baptisms (which are now coming online) for the latter period without success so the missing child is most probably in the black country area/period. Relying only on registrations produces several hundred possibilities during the period/areas involved). I figure that Baptism records showing the parentage will locate the missing one, if JB and CH were baptised, logically the missing one also.

Many thanks.

Dave.

Offline weste

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 29 April 15 12:32 BST (UK) »
What is the parish area on census for the black country? The problem is each area has loads of churches including non conformist. There are loads of smethwick churches for a start in the microfishe at sandwell, i think only 3 for oldbury. There's 3 plus for tipton and dudley more. Good job its not walsall thats even worse. I have been to all of these archives recently. I am helping or rather doing 2 friends trees. I do another lot of work with family history as well. I would be prepared to do a look up if we could narrow things down a bit. The problem being some records are only available at certain archives. I definetly need to go back to one of these archives soon. The one tree's swinging between sandwell, and dudley. I transcribe for freereg and certain archives are helpful and others are n't.

Offline weste

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 29 April 15 12:54 BST (UK) »
Just found them in the census the 1847 birth is oldbury. I could try and look that one up as i need to look up a marriage which i'll find in smethwick. I should go some time this week.

Offline Daveys History

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 29 April 15 13:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks Weste,

If I can establish one baptism (for JB) this would at least indicate that the others were also baptised. If you find anything, the residential address on the record would also be appreciated.

Looks like they moved to Tipton as CH was registered there in 1850.

Regards.

Dave.