Author Topic: Troy/Lawless Marriage Look up in Bray please.  (Read 5113 times)

Offline sunic

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Troy/Lawless Marriage Look up in Bray please.
« on: Monday 27 April 15 21:43 BST (UK) »
Hi, 
I wonder if anyone could kindly check the records for the Roman Catholic church in Bray to see if there is a marriage for Marie Troy and Archibald Lawless please?  Marie was baptised there in 1829 but she may have been 8 years old or so then.  I think they would have married late 30s early 40s - their first child is born 1845 by which time they are living in Wicklow Town.  This is one of our brick walls as Archie is very elusive! 

Thank you in advance.

Sunic
Weston, Winnicott, Randall, Grout, Farndell, Thompson, Crunden, Crees, Abraham, Lawless

Wicklow, Portsmouth, Devon

Offline bandc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Troy/Lawless Marriage Look up in Bray please.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 April 15 10:07 BST (UK) »
Had a look for you for marriage record for Archibald Lawless and Mary/Marie Troy, but did not find any matches Wicklow or elsewhere. Did find possible baptism record for Archibald Hamilton Lawless
26th September 1813, Church of Ireland Wicklow town. Parents were Christopher and Jane, which would appear to match first born of Archibald and Mary Troy's children?

Offline sunic

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 April 15 16:15 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for looking - it was a long shot based on the baptism.  The baptism you found  is 'our' Archie, he and Marie are definitely in Wicklow town in the 1850s and their children are all born there between 1845-1855.  By 1869 Maria and the children are in Wales, but there is no sign of Archie.  The family never return to Ireland.  We believe Archie may have been a coastguard, but can find no record of a marriage or his death either in Ireland, Wales or England.  He's a mystery!!   ??? ???
Weston, Winnicott, Randall, Grout, Farndell, Thompson, Crunden, Crees, Abraham, Lawless

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 April 15 19:52 BST (UK) »
Have you seen this marriage of a Mary Jane Lawless in Dublin in 1864, her father is Archbold a sailor.
http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/9ff2d60547091

Offline sunic

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 April 15 20:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you, yes.  Mary Jane was Archie's daughter and is my Great Great Grandmother.  We've traced the family all the way from 1864 - it's before that we're well and truly stuck!

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 April 15 21:34 BST (UK) »
I've been digging around on Welsh newspapers online to see if that gives any clues. there are some sightings of Maria, mostly in relation to the transfer or renewal of the licences of pubs she was running. She is described in one as a widow. she also sent a wreath to the funeral of the father of the RC church in Bangor.

Not a sign of Archibald

Offline bandc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 29 April 15 08:43 BST (UK) »
He does seem a bit of a mystery alright. I wonder if he had died before 1864, then there would be no state death record so probably no record of his death.
 He appears on his daughter's church marriage record, but they often did'nt record if parent was still living or not. Did you get a state marriage record for his daughter, in case there is anything different recorded for the father- alive or dead and profession. I came across a state birth record where father is recorded as a sea captian (which he was) but the church record said he was a farmer!

Strange there is no marriage record for Archie, unless it took place somewhere that the records don't go back that far now. Also some counties like Wexford don't have all of their church records on line yet.
I wonder as Archie was church of Ireland and Mary catholic would there have been anything different about how and where  the marriage was carried out and recorded ? Maybe someone out there has come across this?

Offline sunic

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 16 July 15 16:56 BST (UK) »
Sorry my reply took so long - health issues overtook Family History!…. Yes I do have his daughter's marriage certificate - Archie is shown as a sailor; he is also shown as a Customs House Officer (deceased) on his son's in 1873, a Captain of the Coast Guard (deceased) on another son's in 1885 and a Coast Guard Officer (deceased) on his wife's death certificate in 1897.  :(

Offline celtic liberty

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Allihies, West Cork, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 21 July 15 21:47 BST (UK) »

Hi,

You mentioned that Archie may have been a customs' officer or coastguard, have you tried putting up a query on the site www.coastguardsofyesteryear.com   From experience a lot of coastguards
are often transferred to a new location immediately after marriage because of marrying a local girl they are not allowed to stay in her home town.

The fact they had a child in Wicklow wouldn't mean they married there.

Definitely worth checking out the coastguard/customs officers records to see where he was stationed prior to Wicklow.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/customs-officers/

Hope this is some help

Mary
Celtic liberty
Bradfield, Buckley, Capels,Cronin, Desmond, Leonard, Lombard,Mullins, O'Brien,