Author Topic: Ancestry DNA results  (Read 8261 times)

Offline annesthreads

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry DNA results
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 28 April 15 21:42 BST (UK) »
Yes i'll keep you informed. It says 6-8 weeks at the moment.

Mine came back a bit sooner than expected - just over 5 weeks. But the demand at the show will probably slow things down.
Brien; Young (Gloucestershire and Manchester); Gleave; Wilson (Lincolnshire and Manchester); Brandish; Buxton; Govier; Hilton (Lancashire); Gerrard; Bishop (Gloucestershire).

Offline weste

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 28 April 15 21:58 BST (UK) »
The family history society i belong to had a member ask whether anyone in the society had been tested and i told the secretary that i intended and then there was offers on so  i let him know.Told him i'd it done and he wants me to keep him informed as well. At least i can give a balanced view from both tests as well but i knew the ancestry one was more new and that the ftdna database was bigger but people got more matches in the ftdna one and i know i'd keep wondering so went for both there and then while the offer was on. Dads line he has family from a village where there is a little bit of inbreeding and i noticed when my ancestry tree was public quite a bit was copied. I'm hoping some of them have been dna tested. Hope i get some reasonably good results.

Offline weste

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 30 April 15 08:19 BST (UK) »
The sample's being processed. I had an email from ancestry telling me it had arrived and so it looks as if their emails are lagging behind what it says on the DNA tab on ancestry as that's saying processing.

Offline weste

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 11 May 15 20:21 BST (UK) »
Update i think i may hear within the next weeks from ancestry but not impressed with ftdna so far. Not heard anything since tested on april 16 as i was n't given a password so tried all the things the site suggested. I was concerned as the site says they send you a password when receive kit back. I've emailed them and said i would have thought it had at least arrived by now. I have said that i'm not impressed at the moment and the family history society i belong to are waiting to see how i get on and some people are interested in testing. I don't know whether the sample were taken back or mailed to them. I thought i chase everything up now as could take a lot longer if they don't receive the sample but if i can't log in i won't know.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 11 May 15 22:14 BST (UK) »
Sounds like something has gone wrong with your particular case and may not be the fault of ftDNA. I say that because I know someone who bought a test on 1 May and they have their password, account and their test has been despatched (may even have been received I have not checked that)
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline weste

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 12 May 15 18:00 BST (UK) »
Had it done at the ftdna stand at the wdytya show i don't know whether they took them back with them or posted them. I had a reply from email i send them and it assigned a number and saying they are closing that email so they have ones with query cateogories that was in april and in future use there new contact bit. From what i can see there's been a few problems when i read the forum but it does n't say what they are doing about the query! I'll give them another week. Thanks davidft. I was worried in case something had gone wrong! Let you know what happens.

Offline Clogs

• RootsChat Extra
  • I have stopped smoking and drinking whatever next?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 16 May 15 07:16 BST (UK) »
I do not really want to erase peoples perception about their origins but it needs to be realised that the DNA markers and strands have been given a classification based upon our current understanding which is changeable. A Saxon origin is largely impossible to differentiate from a Viking origin due to the Germanic subcultural influences. Although given that Ireland was a Viking slave trading base the Viking influence was most likely a dominant feature.
Madcap and all other variations of Metcalf.

Offline cyanda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 16 May 15 08:05 BST (UK) »
if i was to do a DNA test which one would yous recommend ??
cyanda

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 16 May 15 12:16 BST (UK) »
if i was to do a DNA test which one would yous recommend ??

The best way to approach it is first to decide what it is you want to find out.

YDNA - can only be taken by men and only gives the direct male line ie father, grandfather, great grandfather etc. Can be useful in helping with surname studies

mtDNA - can be taken by men and women. This gives the direct female line ie mother, grandmother etc

Autosomal - can be taken by everyone. This looks at all your DNA (albeit based on a very small sample) and is what is used to determine your ethnic\regional origins (although this is more subjective than objective as the science is in its infancy). This tests is also what is used ti find potential relatives hence its alternative name of family finder.

With all tests what you need to remember is that only a very small percentage of people have taken the tests and then mainly in America so you may have to wait a long time to see results that are meaningful or there again you may hit lucky and get productive results straight away - its a gamble
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.