Author Topic: Siblings' DNA  (Read 610 times)

Offline annesthreads

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Siblings' DNA
« on: Tuesday 28 April 15 19:21 BST (UK) »
My very un-science-minded brain is fried after several hours trying to understand the principles behind the Ancestry DNA test and its implications for my family history, not to mention uploading the data onto FTDNA  and GEDmatch.

One thing I'm still not clear about: would it be worth my sisters also getting the autosomal test? I'm not sure I've understood correctly, but am I right in thinking that a sibling's DNA might turn up other matches?
Brien; Young (Gloucestershire and Manchester); Gleave; Wilson (Lincolnshire and Manchester); Brandish; Buxton; Govier; Hilton (Lancashire); Gerrard; Bishop (Gloucestershire).

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Siblings' DNA
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 April 15 19:26 BST (UK) »
Yes, your siblings will have inherited different combinations of autosomal DNA from your parents and will turn up additional matches.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline annesthreads

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 April 15 19:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks Craclyn - glad I'd understood that correctly! I have no male relatives at all - my father's generation have all died  and I have no brothers, cousins, even second cousins  - there are only females in my generation. So I'm grateful to the autosomal test, as being my only way into my paternal line. If my sisters could provide me with more clues, I need to persuade them to be tested!
Brien; Young (Gloucestershire and Manchester); Gleave; Wilson (Lincolnshire and Manchester); Brandish; Buxton; Govier; Hilton (Lancashire); Gerrard; Bishop (Gloucestershire).

Offline weste

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 April 15 21:08 BST (UK) »
I've got a couple of leaflets from the wdytya live show. I'll have a flick through and see if they are easier to read, they are in respect of what test for what and yes i agree with craclyn. Mom seems interesting in having hers done as her paternal line has one known name change. Paper wise we can't link it but have a few clues. We know what from to and the ethnicity may be helpful, especially as i've had the 2 tests done to compare. Its moms 80th birthday next weeek and maybe a dna can be her present but gonna wait till i get mine back first. We've got one male cousin of moms left but from a different mother. Moms grandmother died in 1904 and was unmarried and maiden name unknown and grand dads birth cert is alluding us as i think he's registered in his mothers name!