Author Topic: Catherine Bain, Inverkeillor, Angus  (Read 12706 times)

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
Re: Catherine Bain, Inverkeillor, Angus
« Reply #18 on: Friday 01 May 15 13:49 BST (UK) »
A wee bit more...just working from the census and certificates as the on-line trees were confusing me no end!

Elizabeth Dakers - parents James Dakers and Jessie Anderson married 1886 - from the certificate his parents listed as Alexander Dakers (Seaman) and Helen Smith.

Alexander Dakers dies 1891 age 63 - cert states Seaman Merchant Service married to Helen Smith - parents Alexander Dakers (shore porter) and Jane Low.

Alexander Dakers dies 1860 age 57- cert states Innkeeper, married (no name given  >:() - parents William Dakers (agricultural labourer) and Isabel Scott. Son Alexander signs the DC - his address given as Castle Street, Montrose - Helen and the family are living in Castle Street in 1861 - husband Alexander presumably at sea at the time of the census.

Alexander and Jane/Jean Low can be found living Rossie Island in 41 - he's down as shore porter and in 51 he's down as public house keeper.

Now the Betsy Jolly who marries into the Dakers - would that be David and Isabel Stewart's daughter? It's just she's sitting in my pile of Fettercairn Jollys without a hubbie.
Sorry, that should have been their granddaughter, parents James Jolly and Ann Christie.
Jen

North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir

Offline Brunning

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Catherine Bain, Inverkeillor, Angusn
« Reply #19 on: Friday 01 May 15 15:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Jen,

Welllllll, James Jolly and Ann Hood Christie are my gg grandparents.  Their Betsy Jane married David Dakers in 1867 and their Annabella Christie Dakers married Edward Arthur Parton in Liverpool in 1899 and their 7th child together (Arthur had been married in 1891 and had a daughter but his wife died in 1893) Mabel Parton is my mother.

On the Jolly side I go back to John 1760-1835 m Margaret Young (Abt 1755-?).

Roger
Brunning (Suffolk/Liverpool)
Francis (Liverpool)
Parton (Shropshire/Liverpool)
Dakers/Jolly/Christie/Bain/Rickart/Brake/Gordon (Angus, Scotland)
Rowlands/Owen/Hughes/Evans (North wales/Anglesey)
Rowlands/Smith (Glamorgan/London)

Offline Brunning

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 01 May 15 15:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Jen,

Just read your posting again and realised I hadn't answered the question of which David Dakers Betsy Jane Jolly married: his parents were James Dakers (1799-1880) married to Catherine Bain (1798-1848) in 1828 at Craig.  Their headstone is in the cemetery on Rossie Island, Montrose.

Roger
Brunning (Suffolk/Liverpool)
Francis (Liverpool)
Parton (Shropshire/Liverpool)
Dakers/Jolly/Christie/Bain/Rickart/Brake/Gordon (Angus, Scotland)
Rowlands/Owen/Hughes/Evans (North wales/Anglesey)
Rowlands/Smith (Glamorgan/London)

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 02 May 15 09:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks Roger I've put David alongside Betsy. You probably have all the available information on John and Margaret's family but PM me if you want a copy of my notes on this family.
Jen

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 02 May 15 12:59 BST (UK) »

There is this entry showing here for a marriage between a William Dakers (Dacres) to an Isobel Scott https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTVP-WY2

Children showing for this couple include:

Alexander 1803 https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XYJZ-VXD - only father William is named so even lighter pencil...but more on him later.

David 1808 https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XYJC-NQK

Maxwell 1810 https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XBH5-XSQ

You look to have FindMyPast rather than A/try. On A/try, there is a family tree here http://trees.ancestry.co.uk/tree/68981613/person/36194882518?ssrc= for son Alexander b. 1803. He married a Jane Low in 1825...in Ferryden...where your James and Catherine were living. https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTV3-MXW This Alexander looks to have died in 1860, living at the time of his death at George Street, Montrose. Again, your James, widower, lived in Montrose in his later years. Occupation Shore Porter and at the time he died, Inn Keeper.

Re Maxwell Dakers, not much on him except he seems to have married an Agnes Evan in 1834 Forfar. He looks to have died on 8 OCT 1886 in 12 New Road, Forfar, Angus. His children's names similar to all we are seeing.

Monica

Roger and Jen, are we therefore in agreement that this family is very likely the family of James Dakers, who married Catherine Bain  ::)

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 02 May 15 14:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica,
Well, from the certificates I'm pretty positive the 1803 Alexander (Elizabeth Daker's great grandfather) married to Jean Low is the son of William Dakers and Isabel Scott. I'm presuming, given the DC with his father named and the fact that he was living in spitting distance of Alexander all his life that James is Alexander's brother - but really Roger needs to decide if there's enough evidence....

I now know a good bit about the Dakers plus a bonus - that link back to one of the Kincardineshire Jolly groups.  Really stuck on my Jollys hence my interest in the history of all the spouses of William and Davidina's children.  I think I must be bordering on the obsessive edge of family history when I know all the grandparents of the spouses  ::).

Have not found anything on Catherine Bain - there is a James Bain and family living Inverkeillor in 1841 but he was born in Morayshire so perhaps not of interest.
Jen

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 02 May 15 15:35 BST (UK) »
Without definitive documents, all in pencil for sure.

Have also struggled to find anything so far (pencil or otherwise) on Catherine Bain and her family which is frustrating.

Maybe some Bain and Dakers clues from christening entries as mentioned earlier.

Moinca
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 02 May 15 15:59 BST (UK) »
From Elizabeth's parents and the naming of their children...middle names that probably don't figure in the hunt for clues, Duncan, Smith, Low - I can't account for MEARNS or MOFFAT. Mearns appears at least twice, Elizabeth's brother and uncle are both Alexander Mearns Dakers.
Jen

Edit - I'm not being clear here if James and Alexander are brothers then Duncan, Smith and Low will only appear in Alexander's side (wife's mother's MS) if Mearns and Moffat appear in the names of children of James then they must be from the Dakers. Won't help with Catherine except she can't be a Mearns or a Moffat! 

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 02 May 15 16:33 BST (UK) »
I think I must be bordering on the obsessive edge of family history when I know all the grandparents of the spouses  ::).

Hmmm. Well, thanks to this thread, I now have the parents of all the spouses, but I'm not going for the grandparents - and I thought I was obsessive :)
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.