Author Topic: Rob M Ross  (Read 5078 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Rob M Ross
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 28 January 16 05:01 GMT (UK) »
This could possibly prove a connection at a later date?.....

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTN3-V3R

Marriage of a George Ross & Christian Wallace Or Fraser (same area as the other links I have posted

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 28 January 16 05:13 GMT (UK) »
Robert had sons but they died as babies leaving him with 5 daughters.

Karen,

Is it possible to post full names please as well as sons full names to help us to try & establish likely family connections?

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 28 January 16 06:24 GMT (UK) »
SP site OPR's has a Surname Ross, (Forenames that begin with) option Robert G M b 1853, County - Edinburgh City, Parish (All Parishes), I haven't checked area but you don't need it.

Annie

Offline Karytay

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 28 January 16 07:30 GMT (UK) »
Robert's Children, he accurately had six daughters and two sons. I do not have names for the sons, on the form it says they were 10 months and 4 ? when they died. Given only one age could mean they were twins? no date of when died.

Mary Helen Ross no dates for her or marriage

Jessie Alice Ross b.abt.1857 CapeTown d. 2Nov 1945 Claremont Cape S.A. Married Thomas Turner d. 1887

Julia Lamont Ross b. abt.1865 CapeTown d. 28 Aug 1945 At St'James Cape,S.A. Married Patrick Cameron Grant d.1922 ( he was the brother of Alexander Fraser Grant)

Margaret Isabella Ross b.abt 1865 CapeTown d. 14 Aug 1957 Johannesburg Married Walter Solomon Webber b.1866 Bedford Eastern Cape d. 1954 Johannesburg

Agnes Jane Ross  b.abt.1863 Cape Town d.15 Mar 1944 Simonstown South Africa Married Alexander Frazer Grant d. 5 Mar 1910

Harriet MacMillan Ross b. abt.1855 CapeTown d. 9 Jan 1882 at Du Toits Pan Married A. Lodewick Woolley.

Here is the mothers details
Margaret Ross nee Solomon b. abt 1825 St. Helena died 24 Oct 1905 at there home Ednam Rondebosch Cape Town. Daughter Mary Helen Ross signed the death form.

Taylor of Saltcoats Scotland. van Wyk South Africa, van Niekerk, Dickason, Rogers , Stevely and Seagrey

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 01 February 16 15:07 GMT (UK) »
So it could be Robert that was a witness. Grant is the surname of Robert's one daughter who married Alexander Fraser Grant.

OK, so lets say these people are relatives of my Agnes Ross, at first I thought that Robert was Agnes's father. But I got information from Agnes's granddaughter that Agnes defiantly had brothers. namely George, Alexander and John.

Robert had sons but they died as babies leaving him with 5 daughters.

So my next idea was that Robert could be an uncle of Agnes Ross. Probably her fathers brother.

The only way to find that out is to find Robert's parents death notice's or some other proof of who their children were.

Hi Karen,

I have searched high & low for the children you named to no avail.
I used forenames & middle names, leaving surname blank but nothing.

Can you tell me if Agnes is Agnes Jane as it's confusing?

Robert's Children, he accurately had six daughters and two sons. I do not have names for the sons, on the form it says they were 10 months and 4 ? when they died. Given only one age could mean they were twins? no date of when died.

Mary Helen Ross no dates for her or marriage

Jessie Alice Ross b.abt.1857 CapeTown d. 2Nov 1945 Claremont Cape S.A. Married Thomas Turner d. 1887

Julia Lamont Ross b. abt.1865 CapeTown d. 28 Aug 1945 At St'James Cape,S.A. Married Patrick Cameron Grant d.1922 ( he was the brother of Alexander Fraser Grant)

Margaret Isabella Ross b.abt 1865 CapeTown d. 14 Aug 1957 Johannesburg Married Walter Solomon Webber b.1866 Bedford Eastern Cape d. 1954 Johannesburg

Agnes Jane Ross  b.abt.1863 Cape Town d.15 Mar 1944 Simonstown South Africa Married Alexander Frazer Grant d. 5 Mar 1910

Harriet MacMillan Ross b. abt.1855 CapeTown d. 9 Jan 1882 at Du Toits Pan Married A. Lodewick Woolley.

The only way forward from here is to find births/baptisms for the above children in order to find out their parentage.

You have no other means through census records and as you don't know who the father of the children are yet, another death cert. won't help.

You also need to find the marriage for the "supposed" mother Margaret Solomon.
I have been unable to find anything at all online.

I have plenty info. on the Grant line & by coincidence, the mother of Alexander Fraser & Patrick Cameron is Georgina Ross Norrie.

I feel there could be a family link with them but I'm struggling to find it just now.

So, are you now saying that Agnes Jane had 3 brothers? If so, you need to find baptisms.
I doubt there would be many children in S/A named George, Alexander or John.

I have a feeling the children were not born with the surname Ross but that is my own thoughts so don't let it put you off your search.

Annie

Offline Karytay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 01 February 16 15:15 GMT (UK) »
Annie
Thanks for trying. Now you know how frustrated I am :)

Agnes Jane is not my Agnes Ross.

My Agnes Ross I think was Agnes Janes's cousin

But I will keep looking, there must be something some where!
Taylor of Saltcoats Scotland. van Wyk South Africa, van Niekerk, Dickason, Rogers , Stevely and Seagrey

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 01 February 16 16:49 GMT (UK) »
Karen,

Can you make a summary with all facts (not beliefs) with full names/siblings/children (in order of dates/circa dates)/places (BM&D's) you know to pertain to "your" Agnes please as it helps us in your search.

If places of birth are not known for sure can you state this please as we can search other areas outside S/A

Annie

Offline Karytay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 01 February 16 18:27 GMT (UK) »
The information comes from Agnes Ross's death notice. And her granddaughter who gave me her birth date and photo of Agnes on her 90th birth day. She died a couple of month after she turned 90.

Agnes van Wyk nee Ross
Born 1 Aug 1865 Aberdeen, Eastern Cape
Died 7 Feb 1956, Pretoria
married 26 Mar 1890 Rondebosch, CapeTown

Husband
Ignatius William Charles van Wyk
Born 12 Sep 1856 Oudtshoorn dist, eastern Cape
Died 25 Apr 1925 Middleburd dist. Transvaal.

Children
Stephanus Petrus van Wyk born 7 Jan 1891 Elsburg, Germiston, Transvaal. Died 13 Jul 1980 Pretoria
Anna Maria Schoeman nee van Wyk b. 5 Sep 1892 Elsburg, d. 18 Dec 1975 Pretoria
Alexander Ross Daniel van Wyk b. 21 Mar 1894 Elsburg d. 11 Oct 1971 Middleburg dist.
Wilhelmina Theunissina Gerneke nee van Wyk b. 10 May 1898 Elsburg d. 16 Feb 1991 Pretoria
Agnes Ignatia van Wyk b. 9 Jun 1904 Elsburg d, 20 Oct 1928 Johannesburg

Siblings of Agnes Ross
Alexander Ross b. ? d. ?
George Ross    b.?   d. ?
John Ross        b. after 1 Aug 1865  d. ?

According to Agnes's granddaughter, Agnes's father ( did not know his name) and two brothers namely Alexander and George went to the Transvaal to work on the gold mines. Agnes and John were left behind with a friend of the family in Graaff-Reinet. No dates for this bit of info to help collaborate the story.

Hope this helps

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 01 February 16 19:18 GMT (UK) »
Siblings of Agnes Ross
Alexander Ross b. ? d. ?
George Ross    b.?   d. ?
John Ross        b. after 1 Aug 1865  d. ?

I found a potential in Scotland....

William    Ross    Head    Married    Male    48    1813    Carter    Balerno, Midlothian
Agnes Lawson    Ross    Wife    Married    Female    48    1813    Milliner    Midlothian
Elizabeth    Ross    Daughter    U    Female    16    1845    Book Seller's (Ap)    Currie, Midlothian
William Ross Son    U    Male    15    1846    -    Currie, Midlothian, Scotland    
Alexander Ross Son    U    Male    14    1847    Confectioner's (Ap)    Midlothian    
Transcription
John    Ross    Son    U   Male    9    1852    Scholar    Midlothian
George Ross    Son    U    Male    7    1854    Scholar    Midlothian

Duncan Grant was a Bookseller........same area, is this a coincidence?

Will check 1871

Annie