Author Topic: someone with access to microfische please.... Belguim / Flanders region  (Read 2459 times)

Offline mshergold

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
someone with access to microfische please.... Belguim / Flanders region
« on: Thursday 30 April 15 05:23 BST (UK) »
As part of the Samuel Shergold , Brighton banker and owner of the Danceroom , Marlborough House story........     an essential part of the tail has recently come to light regarding the son....  also named Samuel Shergold......      I found a newspaper article that refers to the death notice of one of juniors children where it stated "Samuel late of Belguim".............

what I need from someone , cos I live in the middle of the scrub about 3 hours drive from the closest microfische and microfilm resources.......    is for someone to look up death records on fische or any database online that I dont know about of Samuels death.........   it would be sometime between 1815 and 1865 and thats about it for closing the gap of time frame...........

My only thought it might appear on the British overseas nationals microfische index but I thought that started in about 1865.........    Any help on determining Samuel juniors death or any part of his family is greatly appreciated as we have such a wonderful story of Brighthelmson so far....

any other info of Shergolds in Belguim dash Flanders would be appreciated as well as it is still unclear what he was doing there in the first instance

thanks folks

marty shergold

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: someone with access to microfische please.... Belguim / Flanders region
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 April 15 08:37 BST (UK) »
Not sure what you have already..

There are announcements in newspapers in England and Australia in 1855 re the marriage of Fanny, fourth daughter of Samuel Shergold, late of Brussels to a William Inkersole. http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/2484336
The marriage register reveals this to be Frances Jane Shergold, father Samuel Shergold esquire.  (The marriage date was 16 January, not 16 February). Frances/Fanny Inkersole is in Glamorgan South Wales in the 1881 and 1891 censuses, born Great Marlow, Buckinghamshire circa 1833. There is a sister Rosa Shergold with her in 1881.

Here is the family in 1851 in London: 7 Belgrave Terrace, Westminster:

Sam Shergold 70 / author general literature/ Sussex Brighton
Anabella wife 56 Midx
Anabella daur 28 Midx
Priscilla daur 21 /Professor of Music /France
Julia daur 19 do France
Fanny daur 17 do  Bucks Marlow
Rosa daur 15 scholar Sussex Brighton
Lizzie servt 25 Scotland

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 April 15 08:50 BST (UK) »
Samuel and Annabella Shergold are in the 1861 census in Mortlake, Surrey.

I think this could be his death in May 1863:

SHERGOLD - on 25th inst at East Sheen,Surrey, Samuel Shergold esq in his 84th year

(The Morning Post May 28th 1863)

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 April 15 08:58 BST (UK) »
Familysearch have digitised a lot of the Belgium records that they have - https://familysearch.org/search/collection/location/1927071.  There are currently 13 "collections", many will probably only be browsable but you don't need to visit one of their centres to view them now.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 30 April 15 09:34 BST (UK) »
I'm finding references to a Shergold, wine merchant in Rue de Ruysbroeck, Brussels in the 1840's:

"M Shergold N 98 Rue de Ruysbroeck is an excellent wine merchant. He also sells soda water sparkling lemonade and every species of aerated liquids. " ("Belgium As She Is" -1843)  http://tinyurl.com/k8cvj8c

Offline mshergold

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 30 April 15 09:46 BST (UK) »
gee shaun ...   well done........     thanks.....   will look into that further........     inkersole was an interesting line.......     knowing jnr was an author certainly puts to rest the Shergolds quantity of subscription to publications........   

good on ya mate
 :)

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 30 April 15 09:54 BST (UK) »
He was insolvent in 1855:

Samuel Shergold, of No. 7, Belgrave-terracc, Eaton-square, Pimlico, Middlesex, Literary Writer.

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/21615/page/3274

There is a report of insolvent debtors court proceedings in The Standard for November 7th 1857 which says that Samuel Shergold, an elderly gentleman connected with literature, was still unable to attend the court because he was seriously ill and had not been out of bed for two years.

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 30 April 15 09:58 BST (UK) »
I've found 9 Shergold marriages in Brussels (Capital of Belgium) and France so I think the name might be more common there than you think. I can't see how they relate to your family but you never know.

http://www.donnees-genealogiques.eu/resultats.php

Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 30 April 15 10:05 BST (UK) »
There's this in a dictionary of Belgian authors (found on Geneanet.org)

Bibliographie nationale: Dictionnaire des écrivains belges et catalogue de leurs publications (Auteur: Jules Victor Delecourt, Auguste de Koninck, Victor Luerquin, Honoré Verbeke, Frédéric Molenschot, Charles Louis Reulens)

...SHERGOLD (Samuel), professeur, né à leondres, vers 1781....(leondres - 1781)