Author Topic: someone with access to microfische please.... Belguim / Flanders region  (Read 2457 times)

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: someone with access to microfische please.... Belguim / Flanders region
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 30 April 15 10:07 BST (UK) »
I've found 9 Shergold marriages in Brussels (Capital of Belgium) and France
When I searched that site it came up with 9 Shergold marriages - but they were all in Hampshire

"Transcription alphabétique de mariages au Hampshire..."
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 30 April 15 10:23 BST (UK) »
Yes, if you look at the names it does seem to be Hampshire UK. It is a shame there are no Shergolds showing in the other parts of the site.
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 30 April 15 13:01 BST (UK) »
You need to check the scanned images on familysearch (go to countries --> belgium --> look for "Brabant Civil Registration) - they are not even closed to fully indexed.

However, if you look for the "Tienjarige tafels" (ten-year indexes) for a town you get a set of images that will quickly let you know if any events took place there:

For example:
geboorten 1823-1832 A-V (births 1823-1832)
no Shergolds
op geboorten 1833-1842 K-Z (births 1833-1842)
Charles Constant Shergold (1840, reg. number 4501)
 geboorten 1843-1850 (births 1843-1850)
no Shergolds

Charles Constant Shergold was the illegitimate son of an "Anne Shergold":
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-11854-183807-49?cc=1482191&wc=STLW-FM9:966896201,967132801

Unfortunately there seems to be very little information about her, only "no profession" .  There is no Shergold marriage 1833-1850, and I cannot find any trace of little Charles.  If he was adopted, or if any of this family moved elsewhere in the region, it could be extremely hard to chase them down.

Deaths:
Guillaume Shergold, 1840,  no 1954
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-12394-61877-70?cc=1482191&wc=STL8-W3D:966896201,966991001
This boy was the son of Samuel Shergold, professor of language, and Anne Bella Maddocks, aged 2 years (and two months?), born Brighton, England. Father's domicile in Brussels, rue de madeleine (not 100% sure).   Brother of the deceased, Charles, aged 21 (I think) is one of the informants.

He is presumably the William Shergold b. March quarter 1838 in Brighton (freebmd).

So this shows that Samuel was in Belgium in 1840, but was not the wine merchant in Brussels. Give that one reference on Google Books has "M. Ch. SHERGOLD, rue de Ruysbroeck", it may be his son, Charles.  (M is not his initial but an abbreviation for Monsieur). 

It is possible that the mother of little Charles was his daughter, Annabella.

It's interesting that Samuel doesn't seem to have married Annabella until 1831:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NVLD-992
(this may have been on their return from France).

A useful source is the Brussels "Almanach" (directories) some of which are online from the city archives:
http://www.bruxelles.be/artdet.cfm?id=6332&ParamType=1&PAGEID=5070
However unfortunately around 1840 they have a lot of missing years.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 30 April 15 13:49 BST (UK) »
That is fascinating information from Jorose.

Charles Shergold was baptised in London (St Marylebone) on 24 December 1817. Father Samuel Shergold, an artist, mother Annabella. No abode given.

Annabella Shergold was baptised at the same church on 22 March 1820, father Samuel, gentleman, mother Annabella. I was wondering if she was the Annabelle Madock, 59, in Marlow, Bucks in the 1881 census living with nephew Reginald P Clarke, 27. If she was born out of wedlock this seems more likely.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 30 April 15 19:39 BST (UK) »
the death notice of one of juniors children where it stated "Samuel late of Belguim"

Which child was that, Marty?

Offline mshergold

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 01 May 15 01:31 BST (UK) »
well I am impressed....

firstly thanks for the link to those Hampshire marriages as 3 of them dont appear anywhere else and that fills in a gap for Hants;

then Jorose I am very impressed cos you found something that ties up the Dorest / devon early line with Guillemne......

I am extremely happy that a speculation has taken place on Maddocks and I think i will follow that line up some more because the material may explain something else in Bucks......

Shaun I will look up my notes and get back to u on the kiddies name as I am on the other computer...

but thanks muchly cos you also have discovered young Charles....  I did see that comment on the use of "M' and "N' in their records and assumed that it was not a christian name.... good o ....   debated that bit last nite........

interestingly enuff now I can assume for the moment Samuel the banker must have objected to the Maddocks marriage and threatened expulsion from the inheritance ..which happened anyways cos Mary the centaurian got the money......