Author Topic: Philomon Fewell  (Read 3626 times)

Offline Susie1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Philomon Fewell
« on: Tuesday 20 July 04 07:48 BST (UK) »
Has anybody got any information on Philomon Fewell b 1781, son of John Fewell & Elizabeth Lanham.  Or any information about John & Elizabeth.
Sue
Bell - London, Dorset & Somerset
Bridge, Crow, Fewell, Prior - Essex
Cane - London & Portsmouth
Hunter - London
McLeod - Scotland, Helmsdale & Wick

Offline Clincher

• my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Philomon Fewell
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 July 04 13:05 BST (UK) »
I noticed your posting today and had previously noticed earlier postings of the name Fewell and its spelling variants beginning with an F. This is a name which I have often encountered in Essex records and the more I saw it the more I thought that it seemed disproportionate to the number of times I can remember seeing  the appearance of the name in modern times. This line of thinking (or hunch really) increased when I began to see the name Suell or variants beginning with an S. And I wonder if there had been some mix-up in the past over the way letters were written. I've just put my hunch to the test by going to LDS site and searching the IGI for Philomon SEWELL. I got two results. I don't want to send anyone on a wild goose chase but what do you think

Offline Susie1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 July 04 13:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Clincher
There is a family of Sewell's as well.  In fact I think I have seen a Sewell that married a Fewell, if I remember rightly.
Jewel is another one that we are having problems with as Takeley Parish records have been transcribed, and there are Fewell's on it that have been written as Jewell.  My first encounter was a Fewell in the RMA Chelsea his name had been written as Jewel.  I think that as far as Sewel, Jewel and Fewel are concerned we have to keep an open mind.  People over the years have had trouble translating F, S  and J.  Now I am off to look at BMD to see what info you found on Philomon Sewell.  Philomon is such an unusual name, I have only seen it crop up twice on the Essex records.
Thanks
Sue
Hunter - London

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 July 04 01:25 BST (UK) »
Just for general information I encountered a problem with an S being thought to be a P.  I sent to the Chelmsford Registry Office for a Sarah Searles B C, the R O said they could only find a Sarah Pearls.  Since the parents names were the same as those for Sarah Searls I asked for a recheck, so after taking in other names beginning with S by the same recorder, they found it was Searls. 
Concentrating currently on:
Essex: Card, Harris, Stowell, Theobald/Tibbles & Turner.
Norfolk: Beale, Cork & Dalton.
Yorkshire: Oswald Sturdy birth/baptism c1708, Oswald where the devil are you?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Clincher

• my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 29 July 04 07:03 BST (UK) »
Some of them vicars/parish clerks/census enumerators I wouln't have paid them in copper washers ::) ;)

Offline Susie1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 29 July 04 07:43 BST (UK) »
You do have to keep on your toes with these record offices.  The last certificate I sent for was a Hunter, I gave them the GRO ref as well.  They sent me an email the day it was supposed to be sent and said it didn't exist and refunded half my money.  This is the third time this has happened when I have supplied a GRO number, so I wrote and asked why, when I have got the number from 3 different records does this keep happening.  The next thing I had was an email aplogising and saying it did exist and they sent it the next day.
Sue
Hunter - London

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 29 July 04 09:48 BST (UK) »
Hope you didn't send the refund back to them.  ;D
Concentrating currently on:
Essex: Card, Harris, Stowell, Theobald/Tibbles & Turner.
Norfolk: Beale, Cork & Dalton.
Yorkshire: Oswald Sturdy birth/baptism c1708, Oswald where the devil are you?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Susie1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 29 July 04 13:15 BST (UK) »
No they said no extra charge.
Sue
Hunter - London