Author Topic: Look up on Angus MI's for Isabella Mackay  (Read 3081 times)

Offline Blinshall

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Look up on Angus MI's for Isabella Mackay
« on: Thursday 30 April 15 11:26 BST (UK) »
If anyone could look up the Angus MI's for Isabella Mackay, died in Dundee on 21st April, 1863, I would be grateful.  She was the wife of Donald and mother of John.  Recent research suggests she may have a daughter, Mary, who married a William Telford.  I  would like to make sure whether Mary was mentioned on the Mon. Inscription or not as if she was it would conclusively identify the family which I have traced through census info.  Thank you, Blinshall.

Offline AdrianB38

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Look up on Angus MI's for Isabella Mackay
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 April 15 12:13 BST (UK) »
Do you know where she was buried, to reduce the workload?

Offline Blinshall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 April 15 13:24 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I do not know which cemetery.  She was living at Fenton's Close, Murraygate, Dundee at the time of her death if that is any help.  Thanks for your interest. Blinshall.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 April 15 20:49 BST (UK) »
If anyone could look up the Angus MI's for Isabella Mackay, died in Dundee on 21st April, 1863

The Angus MI books only list stones with at least one death before 1855, so she may not be listed.

Have you tried the Howff? http://www.fdca.org.uk/Howff_Burials.html
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Blinshall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 May 15 03:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Forfarian, Thank you for the Howff link. I did look there but found nothing.  Loobylooayr found the inscription for me back in 2013 and I tried to contact her to revisit the site and to discover which cemetery it was.  However, I have sent her a PM, but she has not responded, perhaps out of action at this time.  The reason is that I want to check whether or not a Mary appeared on the MI as a daughter, because if my recent research on this elusive family is correct Isabella and Donald Mackay had a daughter, Mary,born 1813 at Melvich Sutherland or Caithness.   If Mary is there it would confirm my research via census etc. However there are many Mackays, Donald, Isabella, John or otherwise and I am trying not to jump to conclusions.Thanks for your help.    Blinshall.

Offline Lynda J

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 02 August 15 03:45 BST (UK) »
If you contact the Dundee Archives in the Overgate and give the date and name of the deceased person they will tell you which cemetery the person is buried in.

Offline Blinshall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 02 August 15 08:29 BST (UK) »
Thank you Linda J for your interest and suggestion.  As I am in Australia I have looked up the Dundee Archive email and will contact them to see if they can help me.  Regards, Blinshall.

Offline Lynda J

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 02 August 15 12:45 BST (UK) »
This is the email I used at Dundee City Archives. Once you have the information if you contact the cemetery they will often take a photo of a grave stone for you for a small fee. Good luck with your search.
Lynda

irene.brady@dundeecity.gov.uk

Offline ABMartIn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 02 August 15 13:43 BST (UK) »
Thank you Linda for the contact email address. I have sent an email to the archives, but I will send another using your personalised address. I'm sure that is a better way to contact them. I appreciate your help very much. Blinshall