Author Topic: John Stevenson--Christian Duncan's Son John Stevenson's Marriage Partner  (Read 1888 times)

Offline sjme

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Stevenson--Christian Duncan's Son John Stevenson's Marriage Partner
« on: Thursday 30 April 15 19:45 BST (UK) »
I am trying to confirm that John Stevenson--Christian Duncan's son John Stevenson married Jane Berry on 15 May 1819 in St. Ninian's, Stirlingshire.

John Stevenson was christened 18 January 1794 in Bannockburn, St. Ninian's Stirlingshire.

Jane Berry was born 17 April 1801 in St. Ninian's, Stirlingshire.

The marriage of these 2 individuals is listed as a "strong possible" in the "LDS Family Search" on-line. All of the above names are included in that record, but I need to be sure before I add it to my ancestors' line.

sjme

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: John Stevenson--Christian Duncan's Son John Stevenson's Marriage Partner
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 April 15 20:20 BST (UK) »
Have you checked the OPR's on Scotlands People?  A quick search confirms a John Stevenson marriage on that date in Stirling but does not show a Jane Berry on the same date

www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

EDIT

I have just re-entered the search for Jane as Jane B*rry and under surname options - chose wildcards allowed

It comes up with one match to that date and to Stirling so I wonder if she is mis-transcribed as Barry or Burry
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline sjme

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 April 15 22:11 BST (UK) »
Have you checked the OPR's on Scotlands People?  A quick search confirms a John Stevenson marriage on that date in Stirling but does not show a Jane Berry on the same date

EDIT

I have just re-entered the search for Jane as Jane B*rry and under surname options - chose wildcards allowed

It comes up with one match to that date and to Stirling so I wonder if she is mis-transcribed as Barry or Burry
Thank you CarolW for searching.
I did check the OPR on Scotland's People and did not come up with a match at all. I also checked her as Barry and as Janet. On other records she is always Jane Berry though.

sjme

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 April 15 22:14 BST (UK) »
It may be worthwhile having a look at the John Stevenson entry.  There was only one match for that precise date and county and it seems odd that searching on Jane B*rry for exactly the same date and county also brings up one match
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline sjme

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 May 15 00:58 BST (UK) »

EDIT

Thank you CarolW for searching.
I did check the OPR on Scotland's People and did not come up with a match at all. I also checked her as Barry and as Janet. On other records she is always Jane Berry though.

sjme
[/quote

Hi, Carole W
I checked the OPR on Scotland's People for John Stevenson and got the record of their marriage on 15 May 1819; but it just shows their names, no mention of parents names.

sjme

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 May 15 13:01 BST (UK) »
Scottish marriage entries pre-1855 give very little info.