Author Topic: william kertland  (Read 11184 times)

Offline roly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
william kertland
« on: Friday 01 May 15 11:24 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help pin down the dates of this man?

Known to have been a writer of sorts (Patrick and Kathleen, 1822; The Maid of Snowdon, 1733; Shaun Long and the Fairies, 1835).  He died, apparently, at some time during the 1850s.  I'm guessing that he'd have been born c. 1785-1790.

I'm chasing, in particular, anything to do with The Second Miss Bailey, performed at the Theatre Royal, Dublin (when?).

roly
I am no longer able to respond to my threads on RootsChat, Ihave enjoyed my time here and my research. My notification have been turned off.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: william kertland
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 May 15 13:55 BST (UK) »

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 May 15 15:01 BST (UK) »

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 May 15 15:49 BST (UK) »

Offline hasta

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 May 15 18:35 BST (UK) »
Good work dathai !!!
Here's a link to the "The second appearance of Miss Bailey's ghost" image missing form the Congress site. http://www.americanantiquarian.org/Inventories/Peirce/36.jpg

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 02 May 15 13:35 BST (UK) »
Have you looked at John Greene's Calendar of Performances - only up to 1820 however.
http://catalogue.nli.ie/Record/vtls000614044
annclare
Kerrisk, Healy, McGuire, Duggan - Kerry and US
Tuohy/Toohey,Gorman, Purcell, Fanning- Holycross Tipperary

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 03 May 15 22:27 BST (UK) »
Dublin Weekly Register, 25 July 1846
On the 18th instant, at his house Preston Streeet, William Kertland, Esq, formerly of Ormond Quay. A spritely talent qualified him in early life to contribute to the drama many lively occasional pieces, and his songs were popular and spirited. His known integrity, philanthropy and self sacrificing patriotism, preserved, through every vicissitude, the kindest regards of his fellow citizens to "honest William Kertland".

Offline roly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 04 May 15 08:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks to all correspondents.  A life seems to be emerging.  I already had the 'Forgotten Books' reference to Kertland's possible birth in England.

Kertland's marriage to Elinor Grehan in 1812 and the widowhood of Ellen Kertland (1854) would appear to tie up together - given the known variation of names in records (such as censuses).  The 1846 Dublin Weekly Register note is very useful evidence...Various online references to residence at Preston Street add details..I have one indicating that Kertland lived in Preston Street in 1841.

Was Kertland the chemist who is referred to in some online sources?  The Forgotten Books note refers to him as a Dublin tradesman.  Or was he a full-time writer (of sorts) - in which case a certain degree of revision is still necessary?  There is no doubt that he provided regular material for stage performances...By the way, I haven't seen the Dublin Theatre book and am not likely to be able to (I live in France).

I did find an online note recording a  petition 'in the House' (Parliament) from a WK 'complaining that he had been refused admission because of his pro-Catholic sentiments'.  Again, the FG note suggests that he was a Protestant.

I have the Laurie and Whittle version of the Miss Bailey ballad - and several other L and W pieces can be found on the Bodleian's Online Ballads archive, one of which is another version of the Miss Bailey story.

roly
I am no longer able to respond to my threads on RootsChat, Ihave enjoyed my time here and my research. My notification have been turned off.

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 04 May 15 08:13 BST (UK) »
A "... William Kertland, Chemist, 1, Ormond Quay, Essex Bridge, Dublin..." was advertising in the Hibernian Chronicle, 14 May 1808