Author Topic: william kertland  (Read 11151 times)

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: william kertland
« Reply #9 on: Monday 04 May 15 10:19 BST (UK) »

Offline roly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 04 May 15 11:16 BST (UK) »
Daithi,

I had checked the O'Connell Street details - but can't quite see how the Wm. Kertland mentioned in the notes squares with the Wm. Kertland who lived in Preston Street.  I suppose that I'm asking: are there two Wm. Kertlands in the equation?  On the other hand, according to another reference that you supplied, Joseph Kertland was the son of Wm. and Elinor.  Perhaps there was simply a change of address...

Overall, I'm still not sure that the chemist was the theatre man too...In fact, I'm getting slightly confused (not unknown) in that the whole chemist line of enquiry may be a distraction, partly of my own making.

I don't think that the later references that you've posted help in establishing 'my' Wm. Kertland's own domicile; tho' the links (Greham - sic) are interesting.

roly
I am no longer able to respond to my threads on RootsChat, Ihave enjoyed my time here and my research. My notification have been turned off.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 04 May 15 11:39 BST (UK) »

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 04 May 15 11:46 BST (UK) »
Perhaps they are brothers or father and sons
Wilson's Directory 1801
http://www.igp-web.com/IGPArchives/ire/dublin/directories/dublin-dir1801k.txt

Offline roly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 04 May 15 12:21 BST (UK) »
OK - reading back and trying to get the brain into gear: the Kertland who moved from Abbey Street to Preston Street seems to have been both chemist and writer for the theatre...It's the O'Connell Street house that may be the more distracting element.  Whatever the case, I didn't make the right connections; so thanks, Daithi, for your patience (I seem to remember having to apologise to you for my lack of cop-on during a previous mission.  Do excuse me).

I wonder now if the family business was sufficiently profitable to enable our Wm. to concentrate on his theatre pieces.

It remains to find a date of birth and there are one or two possible candidates in UK censuses that I'll chase.

Thanks again.

As for Miss Bailey, the 'cause' of this disturbance, I've a fair amount of detail pertaining to the emergence and prolongation of life of the particular piece - actually of two different versions that appear to have sprung from the Laurie and Whittle camp as broadside ballads...and where there several references to 'performance' in theatres in Dublin and London.

roly
I am no longer able to respond to my threads on RootsChat, Ihave enjoyed my time here and my research. My notification have been turned off.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 04 May 15 12:39 BST (UK) »
Perhaps he did die in 1846 as posted reply 6 by hanes teulu with a reference to Ormond Quay
http://catalogue.nli.ie/Record/vtls000021632

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 04 May 15 13:23 BST (UK) »
The Sackville St Kertland's where Joseph Kertland may be the father 1835 to 1837
http://trulock.info/docs/174_1835_1837.pdf
He ? died circa Dec 14th 1837
http://www.irelandoldnews.com/Clare/1837/DEC.html