Author Topic: Astwood's Oldest Inhabitant - WRIGHT  (Read 6980 times)

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Astwood's Oldest Inhabitant - WRIGHT
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 05 May 15 15:56 BST (UK) »
Mike - there's another, seems the Wright family of Astwood lived to a great age... from Beds Times of 8 April 1938; Mrs C Wright died aged 93.  Reckon this is Jane Dunkley who married Charles Wright on 1 Jan 1867 at Astwood.  They had 10 children, 32 grand-children & 33 great-grand-children.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline flateric999

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 05 May 15 21:01 BST (UK) »
"Agnes right, single woman, of Astwood, applied the magistrates to grant order against Walter Wright, of Northampton, for him to contribute towards the maintenance of her illegitimate child, of "

Apparently the case was dismissed.

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 06 May 15 16:19 BST (UK) »
Who is this Walter Wright of Northampton? This report was from Beds Times of 14 Mar 1902, the child in question might well be Florence born 1901. If case was dismissed was it because Walter James son of Stephen Wright had gone off to Detroit, he was there from 1902 (been there 35 years when he died in 1937). 
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline flateric999

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 06 May 15 21:47 BST (UK) »
Mabel Agnes Wright, In 1901 she was 20, an inmate in Newport Pagnell union Workhouse.

Maud, who we think is one of her daughters is listed with Reuben and sarah, Florence is not there, but she is on the 1901 cencus. I have always assumed the two girls where sisters and that Florence was born in Union workhouse after the census was published.

So back to our Walter. Well her brother Walter should be 16 in 1901 but he seems to have vanished. I need to confirm it but it seems he dies as a child.

Walter James seems likely as he is in Detriot but the Walter in the article is from Northampton. In 1901 Walter James is at home.

Now there is a Walter born in North Crawley in 1875. His parents, Alfred Wright and Catherine (Clarke) as living in Northampton in 1881 but i cant find him in 1901

Mike

Offline Barnes75

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 06 July 15 10:43 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have some photos of some grave stones from some of the Wright Family that are buried at Astwood Church if you are interested in them.
Barnes - Birkenhead
Edwards - Cheshire
Sutton - Cheshire
Tyson - Cheshire, Flintshire
Ingleby - Flintshire & Derbyshire
Cockerill - Warwickshire
Elwell - Warwickshire
Bodsworth - Northants & Beds
Liddington - Northants
Varnsverry - Northants & Nottingham
Brice - Northants
Nash - Bucks & Northants

Offline flateric999

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 06 July 15 21:09 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have some photos of some grave stones from some of the Wright Family that are buried at Astwood Church if you are interested in them.

Maybe, I may have missed one or two. Why did you take them, are they in your research?

Mike

Offline Barnes75

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 08 July 15 10:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Mike they may be a link to my son's family on his father's side way back and very very distant. But I have a local link to village as I grew up from a very young age until my late twenties in the village and I am very proud of this and the strong community spirit that it had.  These were taken a few years ago when I was back in the village for Christmas and the church as due to close.
Barnes - Birkenhead
Edwards - Cheshire
Sutton - Cheshire
Tyson - Cheshire, Flintshire
Ingleby - Flintshire & Derbyshire
Cockerill - Warwickshire
Elwell - Warwickshire
Bodsworth - Northants & Beds
Liddington - Northants
Varnsverry - Northants & Nottingham
Brice - Northants
Nash - Bucks & Northants

Offline flateric999

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 08 July 15 16:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Mike they may be a link to my son's family on his father's side way back and very very distant. But I have a local link to village as I grew up from a very young age until my late twenties in the village and I am very proud of this and the strong community spirit that it had.  These were taken a few years ago when I was back in the village for Christmas and the church as due to close.

The Wright family I traced back to 1700 or so in the village, and at one time certainly all of the Wright's in the village where related, and all the Wright graves except one all seem to be relatives. Church records show most of them attended St Peters for a fair few years. There should be more Wright graves than there actually appear to be.

One of my longest surviving direct relatives living in the village was Leonard, he lived in the now derilect cottages on the other side of the A422 to Astwood.