Author Topic: Nora/Norah A Walsh and family of Fermoy, Ireland?  (Read 8370 times)

Offline m815

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Nora/Norah A Walsh and family of Fermoy, Ireland?
« on: Friday 01 May 15 16:39 BST (UK) »
I am hoping someone here can help me out.

My great grandmother was Nora/Norah A Walsh (3-6-1866 Fermoy, Ireland - 9-3-1928 Derby, CT) who married John J Meade (4-20-1859 England - 11/25/1900 Derby, CT).  The obituary for Norah states:

She leaves to morn here passing three sisters:  Mrs C. Johnson, Mrs J. R. Morey and Mrs M. Devine of Derby and two brothers: Thomas J. and Michael Walsh of Long Island City as well as 17 grandchildren.

Another obituary for her states:

Among the relatives from out of the city who attended the funeral were Thomas and Michael Walsh, Mr. & Mrs. Joseph Morey of Brooklyn, Mr. & Mrs Michael Devine and David And John Devine of Long Island City, Mr. & Mrs. Fred Brady of Bridgeport, Mrs. J. Fitzpatrick of Brooklyn and Mrs. Charles Bergin of New Haven.

Any help to who her parents might be or siblings?  Im stuck and cannot find out when she came over here or anything more about her.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Nora/Norah A Walsh and family of Fermoy, Ireland?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 May 15 17:51 BST (UK) »
Have you looked for Nora's marriage and death certificates to see if her parents are listed? Connecticut death (and marriage) certificates for this period will ask for names of both parents.

Registration of births in Ireland started in 1864. From the way you've posted the dates I think you've followed the U.S. format and Nora's birth should be 6 Mar.1866?

There are actually lots of clues in your post- have you searched for the siblings listed in U.S. census records since residences are helpfully listed? once you get an idea of ages you can then check for birth records in Ireland as well as passenger manifests.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 May 15 18:03 BST (UK) »
You have a lot to go on there

Where did you get her date of birth?
How do you know she is from Fermoy?

Several marriages you could look for
More obits you could look for

Hard to know where to start
Do you know some of her children's names?
Could this be her In 1910
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MK28-L3X

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 May 15 18:05 BST (UK) »
1920 Census (Derby, New Haven, Conn.) lists Nora Meade as age 53 and arrived in U.S. 1881- so around age 14 which means she was likely to have come with other family members rather than travelling on her own.

1910 Census (also Derby) indicates she was about 20 years old when she arrived which means she might have travelled on her own.

Several trees online- one lists her parents as John? Walsh and Johanna Vaughan (but no siblings listed).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline m815

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 May 15 19:17 BST (UK) »
i do know the names of her children and they have been verified through a decendant that sent me a photo of nora and john with some of the children.  he will be turning 80 in a couple months, never knew of my great grandparents and only have one photo of my grandparents so this has been amazing... confusing... and addicting to figure out.

okay, children as follows:

Maurice Meade (1887-1957)
Mary Meade (1891-1973)
John Meade (1893-1934) - died in auto accident
Leo Meade (1895-1963)
Josephine Meade (1898-1907) - died very young
Nora Meade (1900-1960)
Joseph Meade (1904-1954; originally Joseph Vaughn but they adopted him but the relationship of the Vaughn to Meade is unknown.  It is the child of Joseph who had this photograph and clicked these pieces together for me)
James Thomas Meade (1888-1983; my grandfather)

I did message some people on ancestry that have branches that KIND OF match up but not all the childrens names do, so I am unsure.  I did see a nora of mass.; but to the best of my knowledge there is no trace to us there.  These names above are confirmed, as the descendant remembers them and still communicates with the next of kin.  He has the record keeper I guess for the Meade's and was pretty excited to say the least when I showed interest.  I am very thankful to not only see the photo but everyone identified in it.  I have a tote of photographs unmarked that sparked this, if this photo was in there I would not have the first clue of who anyone is.

Offline m815

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 May 15 19:18 BST (UK) »
The tree online with the father as john and the mother as Johanna Vaughn Walsh is a place holder/unconfirmed to be able to add the children by the way (not my tree but another family member also on the hunt)

Offline m815

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 01 May 15 19:23 BST (UK) »
what the descendant was believes the reason for the adoption is the birth family was very poor so the meades took him in

Offline m815

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 01 May 15 19:27 BST (UK) »
Several trees online- one lists her parents as John? Walsh and Johanna Vaughan (but no siblings listed).

also the birthdate from the ireland 1911 census shows birth year as 1857, she would have given birth to norah at the age of 11 and john would of been even younger.  i do not believe it is the right name

Offline m815

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 01 May 15 19:49 BST (UK) »
You have a lot to go on there

Where did you get her date of birth?
How do you know she is from Fermoy?

Several marriages you could look for
More obits you could look for

Hard to know where to start
Do you know some of her children's names?
Could this be her In 1910
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MK28-L3X

ah man, this has got to be it!  the children check out plus the adopted one?!