Author Topic: Nora/Norah A Walsh and family of Fermoy, Ireland?  (Read 8360 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Nora/Norah A Walsh and family of Fermoy, Ireland?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 01 May 15 20:02 BST (UK) »
Online trees do need to be treated with caution but can provide a useful starting point for your own research. The one I looked at had mother Johanna dying in New York State, not Ireland. If that is the correct person then perhaps birth year was an estimate from census or death age. There certainly was a John Walsh and Johanna Vaughan having children in Co. Cork in the 1860s but impossible to know yet if they are part of your family although you've now mentioned a Vaughan connection.

I found Nora and most of her family in 1910-1940 census records easily but can't see them in Derby/Connecticut/anywhere yet in 1900 census which is one which gives more detail even though husband John Meade was supposed to have died in Nov.1900 in Derby.

Certainly lots of leads to follow but you need to start with Connecticut records before exploring any Irish records. It may be that Nora was actually born just before registration started in 1864.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 01 May 15 20:07 BST (UK) »
This may be of interest-

1932, July 2
DERBY - Leo Meade, a former Derby resident who served as post office clerk, now lives in Hopewell NJ. He is currently working as a private investigator in the Lindberg baby murder case.

http://derbyhistorical.org/TWIH%20Archive/1932/1932-Main.htm

Offline m815

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 01 May 15 20:14 BST (UK) »
This may be of interest-

1932, July 2
DERBY - Leo Meade, a former Derby resident who served as post office clerk, now lives in Hopewell NJ. He is currently working as a private investigator in the Lindberg baby murder case.

http://derbyhistorical.org/TWIH%20Archive/1932/1932-Main.htm

i did stumble onto that the other day too!  i saved it in my text file but maybe since im getting stuck on the parents i should try and focus on my grandfathers siblings :)

Offline m815

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 01 May 15 21:22 BST (UK) »
You have a lot to go on there

Where did you get her date of birth?
How do you know she is from Fermoy?

Several marriages you could look for
More obits you could look for

Hard to know where to start
Do you know some of her children's names?
Could this be her In 1910
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MK28-L3X

ah man, this has got to be it!  the children check out plus the adopted one?!

ANNE AND I ARE FAMILIAR WITH THIS ONE.  IN THE CENSUS RECORD IT LOOKED LIKE THE CENSUS TAKER WROTE JOSEPH BAUGN.  MY THOUGHT WAS THAT WITH GRANDMA’S IRISH BROGUE, SHE WAS PROBABLY SAYING VAUGHAN BUT THE CENSUS TAKER JUST WROTE WHAT IT SOUNDED LIKE TO HIM.  AS TO THE STEP SON, THAT MAY ALSO HAVE BEEN GRANDMA’S WAY OF SAYING HE’S NOT MY BIRTH SON.

damn :(

Offline m815

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 01 May 15 21:26 BST (UK) »
Online trees do need to be treated with caution but can provide a useful starting point for your own research. The one I looked at had mother Johanna dying in New York State, not Ireland. If that is the correct person then perhaps birth year was an estimate from census or death age. There certainly was a John Walsh and Johanna Vaughan having children in Co. Cork in the 1860s but impossible to know yet if they are part of your family although you've now mentioned a Vaughan connection.

I found Nora and most of her family in 1910-1940 census records easily but can't see them in Derby/Connecticut/anywhere yet in 1900 census which is one which gives more detail even though husband John Meade was supposed to have died in Nov.1900 in Derby.

Certainly lots of leads to follow but you need to start with Connecticut records before exploring any Irish records. It may be that Nora was actually born just before registration started in 1864.

a lot of the ansonia/new haven/fairfield information is not online,   i have the family member scanning/copying the information to me that they looked up when they went there in person.  she is most definately buried in ansonia/died there, as norah lived with norah (child) at the time of death.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 01 May 15 21:50 BST (UK) »
LOTS of Connecticut stuff is online  :) Ansonia/Derby/Shelton all sort of run together and it was very common for people to move to different locations in the area.

Anyway- I HAVE FOUND NORA's FAMILY- or at least a good part of it. will need a little while to type it out and double-check a few things.

;D

Offline m815

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 01 May 15 23:20 BST (UK) »
LOTS of Connecticut stuff is online  :) Ansonia/Derby/Shelton all sort of run together and it was very common for people to move to different locations in the area.

Anyway- I HAVE FOUND NORA's FAMIL|Y- or at least a good part of it. will need a little while to type it out and double-check a few things.

;D

my family is spread out across ansonia/derby/new haven/fairfield and all these little towns out there.  id love to know what sites you are using.  even calling the library, the people on the phone were nice but not very helpful... they all kind of just circled me around to each other.  very exciting, i cant wait to see what you have found!!

as for nora in the tree i have her siblings listed as:

c walsh      married to _____ johnson
j r walsh            married to _____ morey
m walsh      married to _____ devine (i believe the name on this could be margaret)
michael walsh
and thomas j walsh

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 01 May 15 23:31 BST (UK) »
Sorry this is taking longer than I thought it would- there are so many Walsh relatives. Here's a bit to start with-

Mary Walsh (Dec.1874 Ire.) m. Michael Devine (Feb.1866 Ire.)
   1900- Ansonia, New Haven, Conn.: Michael Divine, Feb.1866, Ire., to US 1886; wife Mary Divine, Dec.1874, Ire., to US 1890, m.6 yrs, 4 ch./4 liv.; son Thomas Divine, Aug.1896, Conn.; dau. Nora Divine, Oct.1897, Conn.; son John Divine, Nov.1898, Conn.; dau. Margaret Divine, Jan.1900, Conn.
   1910 Census- Brooklyn, Kings, N.Y.: Michael Devine, 44; wife Mary Devine, 36, Ire., to US 1891; dau. Nora Devine, 13; son John Devine, 11; dau. Margaret Devine, 10; son David Devine, 5.
1.   Thomas Devine (Aug.1896 Conn.)
2.   Nora Devine (Oct.1897 Conn.)
3.   John Devine (Nov.1898 Conn.)
4.   Margaret Devine (Jan.1900 Conn.)
5.   David Devine (c1905 Conn.)

Anna Agnes Walsh (c1882 Ire.) m.(bef.1918) Joseph Rose Morey (30 June 1878 N.Y.-3 Aug.1935 Bronx, N.Y.)
   1920 Census- St. Johns Place, Brooklyn, N.Y.: Joseph Morey, 40, NY, driller- Navy Yard; wife Anna Morey, 38, Ire., to US 1899, naturalised; sister-in-law Ida Morey, 42m wid.; brother-in-law Michael Walsh, 38, single, Ire., to US 1899, mechanic- auto repairs; brother-in-law Thomas Walsh, 34, single, Ire., to US 1899, auto mechanic- auto repairs; boarder Edward McGuire, 27.
   1925 N.Y. State Census- 893 St. John’s Place, Brooklyn, Kings Co.: Joseph R. Morey, 42, machinist; Anna Morey, 40, Ire., nat. by marriage; daughter*; Michael Walsh, 43, Ire., nat. 1902, machinist; Thomas Walsh, 38, Ire., nat.1902, machinist.
1.   daughter*
* details not listed as I have not confirmed she is deceased

Michael Walsh (c1882 Ire.)

Thomas J. Walsh (c1886 Ire.)

Also- Nora's son Leo Meade died 1962 not 1963- Red Bank (N.J.) Register, 18 Dec.1962
   LEO F. MEADE, WEST LONG BRANCH - Leo F. Meade, 67, of 557 Cedar Ave., died last night in Monmouth Medical Center after a short illness. Born in Derby, Conn., he was the son of the late John and Nora Meade. He moved here from Mlddletown where he had resided 30 years. Mr. Meade had been employed as a private investigator and a postal inspector. He was married to the late Lauretta Conway Meade who died in 1956. Surviving are four daughters, Mrs. Madeline M. Griffith at home, Mrs. Jane N. Allen of Middletown, Mrs. Claire M. Whalen of Poughkeepsie, N. Y., and Mrs. Nancy Lou Skakandy of Shrewsbury; a sister, Mrs. Mary Browne of Ansonia, Conn.; a brother, James Meade of Ansonia, Conn.; and eight grandchildren. Funeral arrangements are under the direction of the Worden Funeral Home, Red Bank.
If this link to the obit on page 2 doesn't work then google 'john & nora meade & derby conn.'
http://209.212.22.88/data/rbr/1960-1969/1962/1962.12.18.pdf

Offline m815

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 02 May 15 01:12 BST (UK) »
wow, so cool thank you so very much!!!