Author Topic: Watters, Evans, Armstrong,Walsh, Jordan, Burns, Patterson, Reid, Stewart, etc.  (Read 2857 times)

Offline tommar

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
 Watters, Evans, Armstrong, Walsh, Jordan, Burns,Patterson,Reid, Stewart etc.
                              Derriaghy Co Antrim -  Where do we come from?

Original Inhabitants We are very fortunate to have records from the 17th century which claim to list the original native Irish families of Killultagh - the area around what would later be Lisburn. This extract is taken from the State Papers relating to Ireland
 A Note of all the True Natives of Kilulta

The following except that they paid a token of rent, had the freedom of Killultagh, the Magillmuryes, the MacRories, the Hamels, the McTrealawnies, the Heaghians, the Greemes, the Hillins, the Magveahs, the Macavagans.

Lists follow of -
1. Those that were true inhabitants and undertenants in the country aforesaid.
2. A note of those that are but strangers of other countries dwelling in this county of Irish.

The lists are as follows :-

(1.) The Magillreawies, McShanes, Lawries, O'Mulhalons, McQuaids, McRobins and others.
(2.) The McCaines, Magrues, Magowrans, McStranogs, Makeaghrakes, O'Deemans, O'Quins,
     McGeeans, O'Mildownes, O'Kanes, Tallons, Gribins and O'Mullcrewy with their strange
     followers, the O'Closes, O'Lorkans, O'Forfyes, O'Connorys, O'Conweeles, O'Monans,
     Mageralls, McRories, O'Mulveanines, O'Prontyes, MArlies, MacVoloonyes [?],
     McDonnells, Hinneries, McQooicks, Flannegans, Maghagans.
English & Welsh Settlers
 In 1611 James I granted Sir Fulke Conway the lands of Killultagh in south west County Antrim.Sir Fulke imported inhabitants for his new town of Lisnegarvy, and tenants for the good lands on his estate, from his family property near the confines of Gloucester, Worcester, and Warwick. Some few, such as Morgan, Edward, Ap. Richard, now Pritchard, and Ap. Hughe, now Hughes, whose names are unmistakeably Welsh, may have come from the neighbourhood of Conway.

Fifty –two tenants helped establish the town. The following are the names of the original inhabitants : —Henry Cloughanson, John Norris, John O'Murray, Thomas Date, Simon Batterfield, John Slye, John Golly, Hugh Montgomerie, Marmaduke Dobbs, Richard Dobbs, Thos. Paston, John Tippen, Stephen Richardson, Christopher Calvert, Ann Morgan, George Rose, Edward Steward, Henric Wilson, Robert Browne, William Averne, John Dilworth, Katherine Bland, George Davis, John Savage, Jerome Cartwright, Robert Taylor, Symon Richardson, Humprey Dash, William Smith, John McNilly, Askulfe Stanton, Henrie Hollcote, Francis Burke, Thomas Symonson, Richard Howie, John Houseman, Patrick Palmer, Robt. Warton, William Cubbage, John Aprichard, Owen Aphugh, Antonie Stottard, John Mace, Humfry Leech, Richard Walker, Henrie Freebourne, Edward Gouldsmith, Robert Bones, William Edwards, Peter O'Mulred, and John O'Murray.
These were also followed by linen weavers and Huguenot settlers as the town developed.
Sir Fulke Conway and afterwards his successor, the Earl of Conway and his brother-in-law Sir George Rawdon, brought over many natives of England and Wales here to tenant the estate, and their descendants still occupy the lands; some of their names were Gresham, Audis, Thurkilld, Antwhistle, Higginson, Hastings, Waring, Close, Wolfenden, Mussen, Bullmer, Bunting, Blizard, Charleton, Aprichard, Gwilliams, Haddock, Peers, Wheeler, Breathwait, Barnsley, Carleton, Conway, Garrett, Bennett, Gregory, Waters, White, Pearce, Grainger, Willis, Shillington, Hammond, Moore, Smyth, Richardson, Clark, Hopes, Peel, Bicket, Lamb, Hodkinson, Carter, Courtney, Westherhead, &c.

The people of the parish

The Hearth Money Rolls of 1669 list the names of 245 hearth owners in the parish. Lists of parish landholders for the years 1736 and 1772 preserved in the oldest parish register contain 233 and 257 names respectively.A striking increase in population after 1772 is reflected in the Applotment list of 1844 which contains the names of 600 occupiers of land.
Not all families were on the move. Some names persisted throughout the century, for example, Abernethy, Boyes, Banister, Brown, Close, Cromie, Duncan, Grainger, Gribbon, Hamill, Hastings, Hull, Johnston, King, Lewson, Lunn, Magee, Pearce, Mussen, Phillips, Robinson, Rice, Stewart, Smith, Thompson, Tate, Willis, Whiteside, Waring. It is significant that many of these families held large amounts of land. Other names which were to become well established in the parish appear in the early Vestry Court minutes and in the 1736 list of landholders: Alderdice, Bulmer (Boomer), Carmichael, Christian, Corken, Crommelin, Crone, McCall, Murray, Mcllrath, Partridge, Potts, Richardson, Rosbotham, Seeds, Skelton. Several of the names in this latter list figure in the Blaris records of baptisms, marriages and burials in the late 17th century, but not, for some reason, in the Hearth Money Rolls.

Hello Members,
   I am trying to find out where my relations from the Derriaghy area originally came from and I have included some information I have gathered. I trying to find additional sources of information and I would greatly appreciate any help you could give me. I am willing to share any information I have.

Look forward to hearing from you

Gerry Byrne

Offline RosemaryJoan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Watters, Evans, Armstrong,Walsh, Jordan, Burns, Patterson, Reid, Stewart, etc.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 May 15 11:19 BST (UK) »
I wonder did my Bannisters come with Sir Fulke, as they appear in church records of the 1600s.
RosemaryJoan
Cully, Bannister, McConnell, Wallace (Co. Armagh)  Anderson, Ross (Co. Antrim), Gray, Truesdale (Co. Down)
McCormick (Killyleagh and finally Belfast)

Offline tommar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Watters, Evans, Armstrong,Walsh, Jordan, Burns, Patterson, Reid, Stewart, etc.
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 May 15 19:07 BST (UK) »
Sorry.I have not come across Bannister in any of sources I have looked at. I notice however that you have your Bannister's in Armagh an area that Fulke had no jurisdiction over. Are the  church records which contain Bannisters in the Derriaghy area?

All the best,
Gerry

Offline RosemaryJoan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 May 15 20:05 BST (UK) »
My Bannisters all lived in Derriaghy originally, but my g.grandfather John Bannister worked on the railways and lived in Lurgan, where my grandfather James Bannister was born.

RosemaryJoan
Cully, Bannister, McConnell, Wallace (Co. Armagh)  Anderson, Ross (Co. Antrim), Gray, Truesdale (Co. Down)
McCormick (Killyleagh and finally Belfast)

Offline tommar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
In 'The Oldest Register of the Parish Of Derriaghy County Antrim Northern Ireland 1696-1772' can be found Ellinor Banister 1700, Hugh Banister 1726, Kathrine Banister 1703,Margret Banister 1698,
Robert Banister 1698, 1703, 1704, Widow Banister and William Banister 1703.
In the 'Hearth Money Roll for 1669, Barony of Belfast, Parish of Derryaghy' can be found Banaster, Cooley (1666, Banister,Collis).

Hope this is useful,

Gerry