Author Topic: Charles McCauley  (Read 12419 times)

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Charles McCauley
« on: Saturday 02 May 15 16:06 BST (UK) »
Searching for Baptism around 1815/1818 dont have parents names.  He was a blacksmith.
Married Sarah McMaster around 1839/1841.  Them immigrated to Sydney in 1841. Thank you

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Charles McCauley
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 May 15 09:35 BST (UK) »
Hi, as you must be in Australia, I had a look for you, this is the marriage.
If you search for the Church in Antrim there is usually a web site where you can request info.
Maggsie

Church Marriage Record
Date of Marriage: 26-May-1841
Parish / District: ANTRIM  County: Co. Antrim
 Charles McAuley  Sarah McMaster
Address: Donegore  Donegore
Denomination: Roman Catholic  Roman Catholic
 Witnesses
Felix Reid  Mrs Felix Reid
Church:  RANDALSTOWN Roman Catholic

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 May 15 11:04 BST (UK) »
Hi, as you must be in Australia, I had a look for you, this is the marriage.
If you search for the Church in Antrim there is usually a web site where you can request info.
Maggsie

Church Marriage Record
Date of Marriage: 26-May-1841
Parish / District: ANTRIM  County: Co. Antrim
 Charles McAuley  Sarah McMaster
Address: Donegore  Donegore
Denomination: Roman Catholic  Roman Catholic
 Witnesses
Felix Reid  Mrs Felix Reid
Church:  RANDALSTOWN Roman Catholic
Thank you so much Maggsie for this information. Do you have any access to a Baptism for Charles? I note the different spelling for McAuley (no c). It has been said down through family that Charles came from Meath/westmeath? & Sarah from Antrim - he being a RC & sarah not but that they married in RC church as it turns out to be.  I checked randalstown churches but there are a few there, so difficult to choose.  Again appreciate your help. Regards Frances

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 May 15 11:15 BST (UK) »
The extracted marriage record (as all from that site) is rather misleading as they automatically (even for civil church certificates where religion of bride and groom are not listed) show both parties the religion of whatever the church happens to be.

If Sarah was Presbyterian then 1st Donegore Presbyterian Church might have been her home church- baptisms go back to 1806. However, you need to be careful as there might be more than one Sarah McMaster in the area around her age.
http://www.firstdonegore.org/records.html

This shows you the Co. Antrim R.C. churches, etc. Just click on browse then select county from left side of page to see lots of other information for all of Ireland.
http://www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/browse/counties/rcmaps/antrimrc.htm
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 03 May 15 18:24 BST (UK) »
The extracted marriage record (as all from that site) is rather misleading as they automatically (even for civil church certificates where religion of bride and groom are not listed) show both parties the religion of whatever the church happens to be.

If Sarah was Presbyterian then 1st Donegore Presbyterian Church might have been her home church- baptisms go back to 1806. However, you need to be careful as there might be more than one Sarah McMaster in the area around her age.
http://www.firstdonegore.org/records.html

This shows you the Co. Antrim R.C. churches, etc. Just click on browse then select county from left side of page to see lots of other information for all of Ireland.
http://www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/browse/counties/rcmaps/antrimrc.htm
Thank you aghadowey will check out the links

Offline Jono McCauley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 26 May 15 23:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Charles,

My name is Jonathan McCauley. I'm a descendant of Charles McCauley and Sarah McMaster. Their son Samuel was my great grandfather. His son Frank was my grandfather. And his son Brian is my dad. Not sure how we are related or if we may have met via my dad's cousin John.

I did a bit on the family history a few years ago (along with John, now deceased). Charles' parents were Daniel and Jane (sometimes known as Jennette). They are buried in St John's Church Donegore, which I visited about 20 years ago. I have quite a few bits and pieces that may be of interest. Just let me know.

Regards,

Jono

Sorry - just realised I've called you Charles - think it's actually Frances? (Which is a very common name in our strand of the family)

Offline Jono McCauley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 26 May 15 23:59 BST (UK) »
Just dug up the notes I had on the gravestone inscription: "Erected by Charles McCauley in memory of his father Daniel McCauley who died 29 July 1834 - aged 75 years. And his mother Jane McCauley who died 20th May 1841 - Aged 60 years.

So they got married only 6 days after his mum died and then on 8th July they jumped on the boat (New York Packet) at Greenock in Scotland to come to Sydney - pretty tough people.

Offline Jono McCauley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 27 May 15 00:04 BST (UK) »
And here's a pic of the gravestone with a much younger me.

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 27 May 15 16:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Charles,

My name is Jonathan McCauley. I'm a descendant of Charles McCauley and Sarah McMaster. Their son Samuel was my great grandfather. His son Frank was my grandfather. And his son Brian is my dad. Not sure how we are related or if we may have met via my dad's cousin John.

I did a bit on the family history a few years ago (along with John, now deceased). Charles' parents were Daniel and Jane (sometimes known as Jennette). They are buried in St John's Church Donegore, which I visited about 20 years ago. I have quite a few bits and pieces that may be of interest. Just let me know.

Regards,

Jono

Sorry - just realised I've called you Charles - think it's actually Frances? (Which is a very common name in our strand of the family)

Jono have sent you a personal message.  I think you may have to make 1 more post to use this facility. Rgds Frances