Author Topic: What happened to Charlotte Warlow ?  (Read 4106 times)

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
What happened to Charlotte Warlow ?
« on: Saturday 02 May 15 17:22 BST (UK) »
I am looking for Charlotte Warlow born 1839 Bangor, Caernarvonshire. I have her Baptism and she is living with her parents Benjamin & Ellen Warlow on the 1841/51 Census in Bangor. On the 1861 Census she is the servant of Richard Bentley living at 86 Lloyd Street, Chorlton Upon Medlock, Lancashire, after that I can't find any record of her. I would be most grateful of any help or suggestions.

Kind Regards,

Ellen

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: What happened to Charlotte Warlow ?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 May 15 19:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Ellen,

This could be way off the mark but it's certainly worth considering  :)

There is a marriage of a John Bethell to a Charlotte Waller -

John Bethell, bachelor, Gardener
Age - 33
Marriage Date - 13 Apr 1864
Parish - St Mary, St Denys and St George, Manchester
Father's name - Samuel Bethell, Labourer
Spouse's Name - Charlotte Waller
Spouse's Age - 24
Spouse's Father's Name - Benjamin Waller

This would appear to be the Bethell's on the 1871 -

John Bithell   44 Gardener
Charlotte Bithell   30 b. Bangor, Wales
John Bithell   3 b. Withington, Lancashire
Samuel Bithell   1 b. Levenshulme, Lancashire

RG10 Piece 3985 Folio 54 Page 8

The year and place of birth are very similar to the Charlotte Warlow that you are researching.

Perhaps others would be able to offer you an opinion on the above  :)

JJ

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 May 15 19:55 BST (UK) »
Hi,

The image of the marriage certificate is on Ancestry and shows Benjamin's (Father) occupation as Bookkeeper. Also the certificate appears to show the brides signature as Charlotte Waller.

The censuses for Charlotte father suggests he was a Labourer/Chelsea Pensioner - regrettably it looks like this is not her.   

Alan

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 02 May 15 20:03 BST (UK) »
Hi,

The image of the marriage certificate is on Ancestry and shows Benjamin's (Father) occupation as Bookkeeper. Also the certificate appears to show the brides signature as Charlotte Waller.

The censuses for Charlotte father suggests he was a Labourer/Chelsea Pensioner - regrettably it looks like this is not her.   

Alan

Have you been able to find the birth of a Charlotte Waller in Bangor and equally a census living with her father Benjamin?

JJ

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 02 May 15 20:35 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Alan

I've been looking at that signature, it doesn't look a very confident one. I wonder if she couldn't really write and just copied the signature from the name written by the vicar?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 02 May 15 20:43 BST (UK) »
By 1881, that Charlotte is widowed.

You may need to get one of the children's birth certificates to eliminate her.

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 03 May 15 08:34 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Having looked fro the "Waller" options and drawn a blank, it is looking a possibility that in conversation the names "Warlow" and "Waller" could be mistaken, especially in 1864.

I agree that the best way forward is to buy a birth certificate for one of the children.

Alan 

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 04 May 15 13:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you all so much for your input it just goes to show what a fresh pair of eyes can bring when you hit a brick wall  :)
JJen I believe there is a good chance the Charlotte you have found is my Great X3 Aunt.
I have checked for a Waller family in Bangor around that time, but found none only Charlotte Warlow born 1839 father Benjamin which seems to tie up.
I have cross checked her signature from her marriage records (thanks for finding it Tall Al) even though a bit shaky, as you have pointed out groom it is similar to her signature as a witness on her sister Harriet's marriage record.The W has a distinctive loop at the top. I would be so grateful if anyone has time to look on FindMyPast (it's not on Ancestry)to see what they think.The marriage is Harriet Wardlow (wrong spelling again) to David Davies 13/12/1858 Bangor, Caernarvonshire. Sorry I can't put these on for you to see as I don't know how  :-\
I shouldn't set any store by the fact Charlotte's father Benjamin's occupation is Book keeper on the marriage record and labourer on the Census as he was a soldier for 24 years and became an orderly room clerk in his last 3 years service. So it is possible he was working as a book keeper at the time of Charlotte's marriage.
I agree with what you have said Tal Al in my search for the Warlow family I have found several different ways it has been spelt and it  has been a nightmare to research the family. Even today people are still getting it wrong.

Hoping you can help further,

Kind Regards,

Ellen

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 04 May 15 13:53 BST (UK) »
Here are the two signatures.  The only problem I can see is that she could spell her correct name as a witness on her sister's marriage certificate, but not on her own.