Author Topic: Question on the surname!!! Monks or Kellett???  (Read 12769 times)

Offline Noy1818

• RootsChat Senior
  • Fairlie- The convict ship Michael Noy travelled on
    • View Profile
Question on the surname!!! Monks or Kellett???
« on: Sunday 03 May 15 00:55 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I have another convict in my family by the name of "Ann Monks" (Abt 1820-1845). Her story is quite confusing with records etc. All I know is that she was transported to Tasmania for 7 years after stealing a dress (not her first offence). I think she was married in Ireland, although she was born in England and her husband (George Delahunt Shea 1817 – 1860) later came to Tasmania. From what I know she died in 1845 at age 25, I am unsure of the cause of her death. But just a few days ago, I was contacted by a distant family member saying that her maiden name may have been Kellett. But I am finding it difficult to find original birth records etc. I also found that she may not have died when I thought she did as I have a record for a Ann Shea marrying a Timothy Woods in 1862 in Tasmania. So am unsure what's going on.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Question on the surname!!! Monks or Kellett???
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 May 15 01:47 BST (UK) »
Perhaps this thread should be on the Australia Board?  (Currently on Common Room Board)

Cheers,  JM

Topic moved.
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 May 15 02:00 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Can you please confirm your ancestor's ship of arrival, and her surname as recorded on the Tasmanian convict records.  Among other reasons, this will help RChatters look up the online images provided by the Tasmanian Archives at the following: http://linctas.ent.sirsidynix.net.au/client/en_AU/names/

Some more questions :

:)  Re the 1845 death .... what document gives you that info, and what was her surname as per that document ....   It is important to recognise that there is often scant info on burial records.  Is the 1845 death based on a parish record for a burial?  Does it mention her ship of arrival, or her status (free/bond/UX of George) ?

:) Re a likely birthyear of 1820 in England.   This is before civil registration of births commenced (1837) so you should be cautious in joining dots to a different maiden surname from your earlier research finding at MONKS.   You should re- check the bride's status (spinster/widow) on the Irish marriage document to SHEA, and validate that Irish marriage as well.   You should also check for a marriage KELLETT and MONKS, or for a widowhood to Ann MONKS' mother and a possible remarriage for that Mrs MONKS to become a Mrs KELLETT and therefore Ann, in her own childhood, becoming known by her mother's new surname. 

:) Re the 1862 marriage .... how old was the bride as per the marriage registration?  What was the bride's status (widow/spinster)?  Who were the witnesses?  Are they connected in any way to your Ann MONKS who was transported under sentence of a court to Tasmania (VDL) ?

:) How would Mrs Ann WOODS, the wife of Timothy Woods be connected to your family tree .... when you have her as Ann MONKS, wife of George SHEA?  Divorce came to Tasmania in 1860. 
http://www.aifs.gov.au/institute/seminars/finlay.html#colonial

Cheers,  JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline Noy1818

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 May 15 02:08 BST (UK) »
Here is her information off her conviction and transportation records. Also convict records after her arrival.

Voyage: St. Vincent, 1849-1850
Transported for: Felony
Stated this offence: Stealing adress -Pro Ladden at Bolton
Transported to:  Van Dieman's Land
Sentence: 7 years
Native place: Lancashire(England)
Trade: House maid
Religion: P
Can read: Yes
Can write: No
Age on Arrival: 20
Complexion: Fair Freckled
Hair: Light Brown Sandy
Eyes: Hazel

206 other convicts found on this voyage

DEPARTED - 19 December 1849
Departed from Downs, Ireland onthe ship St. Vincent
Shipmaster: Jn. Young
Ship surgeon: Samuel Donnelly
Travelled via: Direct
Surgeon's report: Very good

ARRIVED - 4 April 1850

OFFENCE - 13 August 1850
Absent
Sentence: 6 mths hard labor (6months hard labor)
Place of sentencing: Cascades FF
Current master, location orstatus: Elliston

Decided by: A.E.W. Appd 16/8/1850Fac Hobart Not to be allowed to enter service in the District of... more

OFFENCE - 14 May 1851
Absent without leave
Sentence: 14 days cells
Place of sentencing: LauncestonFF
Current master, location orstatus: Godfrey
Decided by: W.G.

OFFENCE - 1 August 1851
Absent without leave
Sentence: 3 mths, hard labor
Place of sentencing: LauncestonFF
Current master, location orstatus: Reading
Decided by: W.G. Appd 8/8/1851Fac Ln (W.G. Approved 8/8/1851 Factory, Launceston)

Free by Servitude - 28 December1855

But as you can see from this she was still alive in 1855, But I do not have any further records after her ticket of leave. I have some more records somewhere which I'll find soon. 

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 03 May 15 02:13 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I have another convict in my family by the name of "Ann Monks" (Abt 1820-1845). Her story is quite confusing with records etc. All I know is that she was transported to Tasmania for 7 years after stealing a dress (not her first offence). I think she was married in Ireland, although she was born in England and her husband (George Delahunt Shea 1817 – 1860) later came to Tasmania. From what I know she died in 1845 at age 25, I am unsure of the cause of her death. But just a few days ago, I was contacted by a distant family member saying that her maiden name may have been Kellett. But I am finding it difficult to find original birth records etc. I also found that she may not have died when I thought she did as I have a record for a Ann Shea marrying a Timothy Woods in 1862 in Tasmania. So am unsure what's going on.

Any help would be much appreciated.

So, if YOUR Ann Monks died in 1845, she did not die in Australia.

PS, please don't copy paste to Rootschat, particularly not from commercial websites.  There can be significant copyright issues.

Cheers,  JM   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 03 May 15 02:21 BST (UK) »
http://www.femaleconvicts.org.au/docs/lists/CascadesFFconvicts.pdf

There is an ANN MONKS on that list, and I note it is an incomplete list of the Female convicts at the Cascades Female Factory, and that it is an ongoing project accepting submissions.

Cheers,  JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 03 May 15 03:03 BST (UK) »
http://www.convictrecords.com.au/convicts/monks/ann/40115   This index has birth year of 1829 for an Ann MONKS on the St Vincent, arriving April 1850.

Cheers,  JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 03 May 15 03:08 BST (UK) »
The Ann MONKS on the St Vincent, arriving April 1850 is recorded on the Tas convict records as aged 20 (so born about 1829, 1830, 1831) and was a single woman (so not married). 

http://search.archives.tas.gov.au/ImageViewer/image_viewer.htm?CON41-1-25,216,125,C,60

Cheers,  JM

Offline Noy1818

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 03 May 15 04:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the records. I think there may have been more than one Ann Monks living in Tasmania at the time as I have one lady coming out as a free woman which is most likely the Ann Monks that died in 1845. I am thinking her maiden name is most likely Monks as I haven't seen any records with the name Kellett. Is there any way I can confirm this? Looks like she must have married in Tasmania not Ireland by the looks of it to.