Author Topic: Holmes / Foley Connection?  (Read 2315 times)

Offline John Holmes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Holmes / Foley Connection?
« on: Sunday 03 May 15 03:17 BST (UK) »
Hello I live in Australia & my great grandfather was William Holmes, who married Mary Hogan in Sydney, NSW Australia. 13 May 1878

According to his Marriage Certificate, his parents’ names are Michael Holmes and Honora Foley & this certificate states that Williams’ birthplace was Ireland.

On his Death certificate however, where it asks for Name & Occupation / Informant of Father it shows the name of Samuel Holmes.  Williams’ death certificate shows his place of birth as Ardmore, Ireland. His date of death was 1 Aug 1945 (Sydney, Australia)

At first I was unsure as to which Ardmore as I know of several, however on my grand-fathers Birth Certificate, it shows his father (William Holmes’) birthplace as WATERFORD, Ireland.

I cannot find any information on when or how he arrived in Australia, word of mouth through family was that William jumped ship in Sydney. I am stuck & am trying to find the Irish connection,

So I have:

•   William Holmes born c1860 from Ardmore, Waterford, Ireland
•   Apparently jumped ship in Sydney, NSW. Australia ???? (cannot locate records of how he arrived)
•   Marriage to Mary Hogan in Sydney, NSW (13 May 1878) (mc shows his age as 21, also shows all Holmes surnames as HOMES)
•   Death Cert states he was 85 (1 Aug 1945) however taking into account his MC shows 21 in 1878 & his sons BC shows his age as 28 in 1885 (which correspond), I feel his age at death should have been 88 years otherwise he was only 17-18 at time of marriage & not 21 as cert states.
•   His death certificate does however show Surname as HOLMES & not Homes as his Marriage cert did.

I grew up with my cousins on my mother’s side of the family as many of my dad’s siblings passed away when I was a child & only recently have gained contact with some cousins on dad’s side who unfortunately were only able to confirm the jump ship part

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Holmes / Foley Connection?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 May 15 06:12 BST (UK) »
You could try searching here
http://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/

The only William Holmes I found born in Waterford was in 1870 (To old to be yours)

Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline John Holmes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Holmes / Foley Connection?
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 May 15 06:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for the suggestion, actually spent several hours pouring through that site a few days ago lol.

This family line has been confusing for many years