Author Topic: Finally! My Missing MCKINNON Great Greats.  (Read 3576 times)

Offline argyllshiregirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Finally! My Missing MCKINNON Great Greats.
« on: Sunday 03 May 15 04:35 BST (UK) »
Hello,

My great great grandparents, Archibald MCKINNON and Catherine MCARTHUR, both born about 1810 at Burg, Kilninian, Isle of Mull, have long been missing but we may finally be getting somewhere. They appear there on the 1841 census with young daughter, Catherine McKinnon. We know that they had 2 more sons, Donald and Neil (my great grandfather) at Burg in the 1840s, then they disappear. They don't turn up on any further Mull census nor do they die!

The 3 children are found on various census on Mull over the years and on marriage records, but where are Archibald and Catherine? It looks now as if Catherine died in the 1840s and Archibald left the area. The elder son, Donald McKinnon, remained and stayed with his McArthur relatives. Neil's whereabouts during his childhood were a mystery as he never got any schooling and he never spoke a word of English even though Donald did.

My father, after MANY years of digging, has stumbled across what he believes to be a second marriage for Archibald McKinnon on July 5, 1849 on the Isle of Coll to Christy McDougall. I found them next on Tiree in 1851 at Balephetrish.

629   Balephetrish   McKinnon   Archibald   M   40   Head   Agricultural Labourer   Parish of Kilninian (Mull)
629   Balephetrish   McKinnon   Christina   M   40   Wife   Ag. Lab's Wife   Parish of Kilninian (Mull)
629   Balephetrish   McKinnon   Niel      7   Son   Ag. Lab's Son   Parish of Kilninian (Mull)
629   Balephetrish   McKinnon   Archibald   W   63   Visitor   Tailor   Parish of Kilninian (Mull)

I guess what I am trying to learn now is when Catherine McArthur died (and is buried - likely Kilninian), when Archibald McKinnon died (and is buried - maybe Tiree??) and where Archibald and his 2nd wife, Christy McDougall, ended up on the 1861 and subsequent census records. I will keep looking but I welcome any clues. Thank you!

Mary
Fletcher of Glen Orchy, Argyll, McGregor of Argyll and Balquhidder, Perth, Mathison, Laidlaw, Forsyth of Dumfriesshire, McMillan, Johnston, Galbraith, Nicholson of Argyll, McPhail, McArthur, McKinnon, McLean, Paterson from Isle of Mull

Offline BevL

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Finally! My Missing MCKINNON Great Greats.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 May 15 05:44 BST (UK) »
How lucky you are - and I hope you can now find out all the little things that have made it so annoying before  ;D
Bev
MOORE (Kent) & FRENCH (Sussex) & Western Australia, LOVE (Kent), ROPER 1810 (N Ireland). ADAM 1808 (Paisley), Scotland, Victoria & West Aust, TROTTER 1700's onwards  Northern Ireland, Scotland & Aust, FLAHERTY 1791/2 (Ireland) CHAPMAN (Kent) &  Western Australia, CARROLL & POWER. Ireland & Western  Australia, FISHER  Lancashire & Western Australia, FIDLER Denton, Lancashire, Victoria, MARSH Essex & Western Australia, COOPER - Southwark, London, Victoria
All to the lucky country.

Offline argyllshiregirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 May 15 16:19 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Bev. I really had given up hope of ever finding them but my Dad (now 84) kept digging! I thought perhaps they just hid from every census taker etc. due to past experience with clearances and such.

This might explain the rather odd entry on the July 28, 1866 marriage registration of Archibald McKinnon and Catherine McArthur's daughter, Catherine, to James McDougall. It says 'No relation' beside the groom's name and we never understood why. I guess it was to reflect that the bride's McDougall mother was actually a stepmother. The stepmother and the groom could very well have been closely related.

Mary
Fletcher of Glen Orchy, Argyll, McGregor of Argyll and Balquhidder, Perth, Mathison, Laidlaw, Forsyth of Dumfriesshire, McMillan, Johnston, Galbraith, Nicholson of Argyll, McPhail, McArthur, McKinnon, McLean, Paterson from Isle of Mull

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 May 15 12:01 BST (UK) »
Hello argyllshiregirl,  :)

Looking at the 1851 census you have posted above, I get slightly different information, transcribed from a subscription site.  The main difference being that the Parish number is 551 and all household members give Coll as their place of birth:

1851 census, Parish 551 / Balaphetrish, Tyree
Archibald Mckinnon / 40 / Ag Lab / Coll
Christina Mckinnon / 40 / Coll
Niel Mckinnon / 7 / Coll
Archibald Mckinnon / 63 / visitor / Vagrant (Sailor) / Coll

brigau