Author Topic: Looking for family of Robin/Robyn McDonald  (Read 6051 times)

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for family of Robin/Robyn McDonald
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 05 May 15 00:01 BST (UK) »
By the way thanks everyone for the input. ;) Istrice there is a death registered in Newtown Sydney NSW in 1972 of a Norman George McDONALD in 1972 with parents George and Lillian Elizabeth McDONALD. Possible that he was her husband but it may be drawing a long bow. ::)

Neil
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 05 May 15 00:14 BST (UK) »
Yes, may I confirm that in New South Wales, Australia there is no requirement for any next of kin to be named on any bank account.  I have just checked my own details on my own account.  Although I am a married woman, it does not give any details to indicate that, nor my nee name, nor the name of my spouse, nor the name of a solicitor.   

In fact, my husband reminds me that when he needed to remember his PIN (personal Indentity number) to access his own account via his plastic card at a branch (so face to face with a real bank teller) he had turned to me and asked me for his number.  That very action caused the teller to block his account, and he was denied access, based on breach of privacy.  Yes, that is so !  He breached his own privacy by asking his own wife for his own PIN to allow him to withdraw his own money from his own bank account.

So I do understand the difficulty the NSW Police, the Salvos, the Medicos, the NSW BDM, the local government authority, will all be experiencing, and I think Neil's efforts may well be 'the way to go' to help find this lady's family members.   Action in the NSW Supreme Court will be costly, and not prompt. 

Is it possible that she received financial benefit from the United Kingdom?  If so, would there be UK records that could be looked up?

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 05 May 15 02:12 BST (UK) »
More info here
http://www.dungogchronicle.com.au/story/3054513/memorial-service-for-third-dungog-flood-victim/

Robin Reid MACDONALD.

Ms McDonald had no relatives in Australia but word of her passing has made it to England, and messages of condolence from them were read to the service.

In an eerie coincidence it emerged that her half-brother David Watters, died in hospital in England where he was being treated for dementia.

Her nephew Sean Watters said his father shared Ms Macdonald's love of animals.

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 05 May 15 02:17 BST (UK) »
On the Australia Electoral rolls in 1977 and 1980, limit of online indexes.

Cando

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 05 May 15 02:21 BST (UK) »
1947   MACDONALD   ROBINA REID   F   LOCHEE   DUNDEE CITY/ANGUS   282/04 0243

Someone could send a note to the Courier (Dundee), perhaps they might do a story and perhaps another family member might emerge. 

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 05 May 15 02:40 BST (UK) »
Maybe you could Don, if you would be so kind. Maybe include the snip from the Local Paper here or the link Cando has kindly posted. It's great that at least someone from her family now knows the circumstances of her passing.

Robina is a very little used name here seems quite common in Scotland. Robyn is the equivalent here.

Thanks to all.

Neil
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 05 May 15 02:41 BST (UK) »

Perhaps it would be a good idea to delete those birth regs as many of these people may be living.

Cheers
Cando

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 05 May 15 10:01 BST (UK) »
Good find Cando so it was Robina Reid Macdonald  :)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 05 May 15 11:03 BST (UK) »
Another article says that they knew she had family back in England? Maybe they had all moved from Scotland?

Or maybe whoever wrote that was one of those who fail to understand that 'England' is not synonymous with 'Great Britain' and 'Great Britain' is not synonymous with 'the United Kingdom'.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.