Author Topic: Providing links to paysite pages  (Read 4445 times)

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Providing links to paysite pages
« Reply #9 on: Monday 04 May 15 21:13 BST (UK) »
Hi
This is a problem that I've raised with Rootschat quite some time ago, but not publicly. I was told that the 'policy' was being reviewed. I have supplied information to others thro' Personal Messages and e-mails. The problem seems to have arisen because the Government allowed Find my Past to make info available before the statutory 100 years was up. I don't have a subscription with FindMyPast, but do with Ancestry. They allow you to provide free access for a limited period to 'friends' to view info, including 1911 Census.
Emyr

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 05 May 15 11:34 BST (UK) »
Sorry Gwil that was an error on my part  :-[  If you can let me know what edits you wish me to make I can add the links back.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gwil

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 06 May 15 08:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Sarah

Thanks. There were three links. One to a result page in Ancstry 'Service Records' (in the military section) and two to 1911 Census. All were backing up the broadbrush info I was supplying the enquirer inviting him to gather the material in depth relevant to his query via his own subscription.

I will revisit the query and reinstate the links but first of all can you confirm please that this action of yours in allowing these links means that such linking is permitted on this site and that this thread can be referred to as authorative when, inevitably I suppose as not everyone reads everything, some will still refer to what will from now on be outdated prohibtion regarding linking to paysites and to the 1911 Census. I'm assuming that there has been some sort of behind the scenes consulting going on.

Gwil

PS I hope you read the bit about this not being personal attacks on your work as a Mod

edit: My apologies Sarah, I posted this and immediately noticed your position as Rootschat Co-Founder. If I may I'll leave my post as it stands rather than adjust to reflect your obvious authority in this matter.