Author Topic: Did Robert ROLFE, buried February 12th 1713 in Feltwell, live to be 107 years old?!  (Read 3409 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Hi, Everyone,
I have recently been doing some research on the ROLFE family of Cheveley, Mildenhall, Bury St Edmunds, Brandon on the Cambs/Suffolk/Norfolk borders.  I am now tentatively looking into the ROLFE family of Feltwell.  On line I have come across a record that says a Robert Rolfe was born or baptised there in 1606 (no definite date), and was buried on February 12th 1713, aged 107.  He also apparently married a Margaret DENTON on 27-10-1636 there.
Could someone who is privy to the Feltwell PR's please tell me whether this is an error, or indeed if it is a true record of extreme longevity for the time (I've never heard of anyone approaching old age such as this in the 17th/18thC - perhaps Robert had discovered the elixir of life!)
Many thanks, Keith

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
The Rolfe who was buried 12th February 1713 Feltwell, St. Nicholas was not named Robert - his name was Thomas Rolfe with what looks like 'Sen.' after his name.   Nor is there any wording to suggest longevity.

You can view original record on familysearch.org - image 30 of 52.

Annette 
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
I'm guessing your 'source' is the online trees on Ancestry.    Looks like one person originally posted details and dozens of others have merely copied the details.

Words fail me!

Annette
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Annette,
…and me too!  Thanks so much for looking at that for me.  I see that there is a Thomas ROLFE apparently born 1640 and buried 1714; and a Thomas ROLFE born 1711. (According to what has been put on line and copied) So I would think that burial entry ought to refer to the Thomas born in 1640.  I really need to get up to the Record Office in Norwich and see what the originals actually say…
Keith

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
As I mentioned in my first reply you can actually view the original parish records for Feltwell on familysearch so no need to go to Record Office.

Annette
London -  Monk

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Annette,
I did actually try and look at the originals on Familysearch - did you mean the images of the original records? - because I could only find the transcripts there.  Is there a simple (idiot-proof, for me!) set of instructions to do this successfully.  Please PM me or  tell me on here, but only if you have the time…
Keith

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
You need to check 'Collections' and scroll down to 'Norfolk Parish Registers' - click on that and it will bring up a new page.  Scroll  down to 'View images in this collection' - underneath that it says 'Browse through 293,156 images'. Click on that and it will bring up an àlphabetical listing of all parishes that are covered which includes Feltwell.

Good luck.

Annette

London -  Monk

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Brilliant, Annette!
Crystal clear, and I'll have a good look at all that Feltwell PR's have to offer later this evening.  Many thanks,
Keith
P.S. Do I need to have an account with Familysearch.org to be able to do this?

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
No - you don't need an account.

Annette
London -  Monk