Author Topic: Blakeland Street, Small Heath  (Read 5485 times)

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Can't see the wood for the !!!
    • View Profile
Re: Blakeland Street, Small Heath
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 06 May 15 07:23 BST (UK) »
Again many thanks you have been most helpful
 :)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

For details of my research interests please see
mcmullin.me.uk
Also read the children a story from Story Time at the same web site.

Offline derekwg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 06 May 15 07:31 BST (UK) »

I used to go to Sunday school in Blakeland street,it was always well known for tat dealers or rag and bone men.
Weaving...Rodborough,Stroud,Ruscombe.
 Browning...ditto.

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 06 May 15 09:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Derekwg I think that adds to my thoughts of a settled traveller community.

mcmullin.me.uk

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 20 May 15 13:04 BST (UK) »
Taking a second look at the Blkakeland Street questiuon.
I have found a confusing situation.
I realise I had confused Blakenall Street Small Heath and Blakeland Street Little Bromwich
I know Benjamin Flavell and his family lived in Blakland St in Little Bromwich yet his probate says he lived at Blakeland street Small Heath. Similarly on Isaac Flavell's probate(in 1858) his son's adress was Blakenall St Small Heath(John WILLIAMS metal dealer was living in BLAKELAND ST in 1861) both families being Metal Dealers.
So now I am totally confused but as most records found are for Blakeland Street I will concertrate on that one. Does anyone know anything about the history of this street in Little Bromwich was it a traditional travellers camp ? were the houses owner ocupied or rented? Who ownedthem? Was there a metal yard in the street? Why did it atract so many Sedgely Traveller families?
Hope you can throw some light on its history
Many thanks
Trees

mcmullin.me.uk

Offline derekwg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 20 May 15 13:39 BST (UK) »
Taking a second look at the Blkakeland Street questiuon.
I have found a confusing situation.
I realise I had confused Blakenall Street Small Heath and Blakeland Street Little Bromwich
I know Benjamin Flavell and his family lived in Blaklend St in Little Bromwich yet his probate says he lived at Blakeland street Small Heath. Similarly on Isaac Flavells probate his son's adress was Blakenall St Small Heath both families being Metal Dealers.
So now I am totally confused but as most records found are for Blakeland Street I will concertrate on that one. Does anyone know anything about the history of this street in Little Bromwich was it a traditional travellers camp ? were the houses owner ocupied or rented? Who ownedthem? Was there a metal yard in the street? Why did it atract so many Sedgely Traveller families?
Hope you can throw some light on its history
Many thanks
Trees

Blakeland Street is classed as in Bordesley Green,there were quite a few scrapyards in that area including rag merchants but I'm not sure whether there was any in Blakeland Street,not in my time ( 1960ish)....there should be a history of Little Bromwich via the internet,there was fever hospital there many years ago.
 Browning...ditto.

Offline derekwg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 20 May 15 13:42 BST (UK) »

You could also try the Birmingham History Forum,there is quite a few experts on there who know Brum inside out.
 Browning...ditto.

Offline Heather McWilliam Rawles

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 20 January 18 19:47 GMT (UK) »
My family are also Blakeland Street Metal dealers. They are the Fullards, my great great grandmother is Betsy Fullard (1843 - 1913), daughter of Hannah Baines and John Fullard. Her younger brother married Hannah Flavell. The Fullards occupied three adjacent houses in Blakeland Street, and a fourth further down, and are frequently listed on Census and other documentation as Metal Dealers/Hawkers/Travelers. Many (including Betsy) born in Sedgley, Gornal or Ruiton, so they fit with the above comments. I have not managed to find any further details about Hannah Baines. If anyone has any advice on the Fullards, I would appreciate it. My mother grew up around the corner but had family still living in Blakeland Street. She recalls that there were yards, or possible stable areas, and hat the space would fit with metal dealing, and there was a foundry that Betsy's husband, William, worked in.

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 21 January 18 12:44 GMT (UK) »
Hello Heather glad to meet you and welcome you to ROOTS CHAT  the friendliest and most useful family history site.
At the moment we are busily trying to up date our FLAVELL tree which you will find on our web sit:   http://www.mcmullin.plus.com/FLAVELL
Can you tell me which Hannah FLAVELL married your Fullard or a rough date of birth for her, then I hope I'll be able to give you plenty of background to her family
Its a very interesting family to follow I'd love to share data with you. Looking forward to hearing from you
Trees

mcmullin.me.uk

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 21 January 18 13:18 GMT (UK) »
OK doing a bit of searching I am assuming the Hannah FLAVELL you mention is the one who married Edward FULLARD in St Phillips in 1870?
Theat marriage gives her daughter of Benjamin so I think this is the one:

Baptism  in Sedgley 12 Nov 1848
born in Ruiton 23 Sep 1848
Parents Benjamin & Jane FLAVELL
father was a Labourer

Jane was nee Lewis
On the 1861 census she was the 7th of 12 children her father was a general dealer and the oldest five siblings all metal dealers living in Blakeland St.

Hannah was a sister of My Cousin's Gt Grand Mother so you are a reasonably close relations

mcmullin.me.uk