Author Topic: Southwick Graveyard, in Dalbeattie  (Read 4892 times)

Offline BevStimpson

• RootsChat Member
  • This photo is my Gran, Ethel Jackson aged 17 yrs
    • View Profile
Southwick Graveyard, in Dalbeattie
« on: Monday 04 May 15 18:15 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I've been told that my Great Great Grandmother Margaret (McTurk) Drain who died 15th October 1889 at home (116 Southwick Road, Dalbeattie) could have been buried in Southwick Graveyard. I know she isn't buried in the municiple cemetary in Dalbeattie, I've had the records checked, but can't find her anywhere. She lost 4 children (2 premature babies only hours old, a 3 yr old and a 10 yr old) before she passed.

Does anyone know where Southwick Graveyard is located please (I've visited Colvend Graveyard already too) or where I might find records for any of the other graveyards in the area?

Many thanks
Beverley
BARLOW, BEARD, BRIDGWOOD. BROOMHEAD. BROTHERDALE, CLARKE, CRESSWELL. DIAMOND, DRAIN, GRAHAM, HALL, HEUCHAN, HOGDANE, HULL, JACKSON, KIRKPATRICK, LITTLE, McLELLAN, McTURK, MORRIS, NEEDS, OWEN, PARSONS, PRICE, PUGH, RATHBONE, ROBINSON, SCRUTON, SHAW, STAFFORD, TAYLOR, WATSON, WEIR, WILLIAMSON

Offline matt muir

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Southwick Graveyard, in Dalbeattie
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 May 15 18:52 BST (UK) »
Southwick is not a great distance from Colvend. Try the link below.

http://www.kirkyards.co.uk/colvend/southwick.asp

The nearest cemeteries to Dalbeattie are I think  Urr and Buittle.
Matt
Muir,McDill/Dill,Payne,Hepburn,Ireland,Rae all in Kirkcudbrightshire.
Cotter,Liddane,Gibson all in Co Clare,Ireland.

My avatar is my G/Father--Name not known !

Offline imchad

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 May 15 23:06 BST (UK) »
Old Southwick graveyard is located on the back road out of Dalbeattie making for Southwick. It is a lovely site, very atmospheric with the ruined church.

Offline BevStimpson

• RootsChat Member
  • This photo is my Gran, Ethel Jackson aged 17 yrs
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 May 15 10:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks for replying everyone,

I've checked all online resources, and can't find any mention. But if the family couldn't afford headstones, most online resources wouldn't have details.

I'm wondering if any of the graveyards/cemeteries in Dalbeattie (or close by) would have pauper graves like they do here in Manchester, and if so, who or where would those records be.

I'm assuming that burials require paperwork of some kind, so there must be a record of the grave number, even without headstone.
I telephoned the council in Castle Douglas, and the kind lady there searched the records for Dalbeattie Cemetery (apparently it is also known as Rounall?) and could find no record of any burial for Drain or McTurk as a maiden name. Although I do know that there is an headstone in the cemetery for McTurk... it isn't (as far as I know at the moment) linked to me.

Furthermore, I did find the 2nd wife of my 2x Great Grandfather John Drain, she is buried in Dalbeattie cemetery with her first husband, but John and Margaret and their bairns are definitely missing... John died in Paisley.
BARLOW, BEARD, BRIDGWOOD. BROOMHEAD. BROTHERDALE, CLARKE, CRESSWELL. DIAMOND, DRAIN, GRAHAM, HALL, HEUCHAN, HOGDANE, HULL, JACKSON, KIRKPATRICK, LITTLE, McLELLAN, McTURK, MORRIS, NEEDS, OWEN, PARSONS, PRICE, PUGH, RATHBONE, ROBINSON, SCRUTON, SHAW, STAFFORD, TAYLOR, WATSON, WEIR, WILLIAMSON