Author Topic: census 1861 enniscorthy fragments  (Read 5613 times)

Offline BPittham

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
census 1861 enniscorthy fragments
« on: Monday 04 May 15 20:20 BST (UK) »
hello again, does anyone know if this information is available on line please?  I have searched but drawing a blank.  thank you
Pittham, Pitham
McCarthy
Pender
Brady, Bready
Woods, Rowlands

Online conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: census 1861 enniscorthy fragments
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 May 15 20:30 BST (UK) »
http://www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/browse/records/census/1861.htm

This link states that some bits are transcribed in the RC records of Enniscorthy.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 May 15 21:58 BST (UK) »

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 May 15 02:38 BST (UK) »
The Enniscorthy 1861 "census" records are available - they were published in full in the Journal of the Genealogical Society of Ireland quite a few years ago. I put "census" in quotes as it is not clear to me that these records are actually associated with the country-wide 1861 census, and not simply a list of parishioners -  Catholic parishioners, that is.

BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 May 15 06:50 BST (UK) »
I should add that the NLI is said to be going to make its microfilmed copies of Catholic parish records available online, starting in July. I presume the Enniscorthy parish records will be included.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline BPittham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 May 15 19:00 BST (UK) »
thank you all again for your help, as always very informative
Pittham, Pitham
McCarthy
Pender
Brady, Bready
Woods, Rowlands

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 July 15 07:06 BST (UK) »
The Enniscorthy 1861 "census" records are available - they were published in full in the Journal of the Genealogical Society of Ireland quite a few years ago. I put "census" in quotes as it is not clear to me that these records are actually associated with the country-wide 1861 census, and not simply a list of parishioners -  Catholic parishioners, that is.

Just to set the record straight, it is the 1860s census contained in the Marshalstown Parish registers which was published in the Journal of the Genealogical Society of Ireland. Sorry if I misled anyone. I don't know if the 1861 Enniscorthy census was ever published or not, but it should now be online at the NLI. I would just note that the Marshalstown census was taken for pastoral purposes, while the Enniscorthy one is indeed based on the 1861 national census.

Offline BPittham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 27 July 15 15:10 BST (UK) »
thank you for updating me.  I will have another look
Pittham, Pitham
McCarthy
Pender
Brady, Bready
Woods, Rowlands

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 27 July 15 16:54 BST (UK) »
thank you for updating me.  I will have another look

I went and took a look at the 1861 census material for Ennsicorthy. It is very useful - lists names, ages (sometimes), professions (sometimes), by streets/areas. And what is more, it is actully readable - there is nothing more frustrating than looking an unreadable copy of what you want... 
Given that there is a pretty comprehensive listing of tenants in Enniscorthy at another date (Portsmouth estate), it seems that Enniscorthy is in a relatively good shape compared to most Irish towns.