Author Topic: Addresses look up please :)  (Read 5363 times)

Offline berkeley

• RootsChat Senior
  • HMS Berkeley-Dieppe-Aug-19-1942
    • View Profile
Re: Addresses look up please :)
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 07 May 15 22:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Xin, not sure if you have seen this about William Raven Colton, http://www.rootschat.com/links/01f9r/  Dave.

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 08 May 15 01:04 BST (UK) »
You are JOKING..... that means he died just up the road... I have found his death and its registered in NORTH WALSHAM...

curioser and curioser - how we are linked with our ancestors without knowing.....

So thats an outing  to Stody :) :)

Thanks Dave :) another great find :)

xin

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 08 May 15 01:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks all for the help with this family ... been a really interesting journey - from larceny and bigamy (maybe.... !!!) to actual success and achievement.  Bless em all. :)

This William married John Ravens daughter Caroline (from Johns second marriage to Ann Adcock nee Cooper........)  Now William was 28 years older than Ann... havent yet gone into any previous marriages or family for him.   Caroline seems to have been a very strong character, she worked with and for her Father up until his death - in 1871 married William in 1887 and then had 7 children and the 1911 says they ALL survived... Then when William died she took over the running of the business.  What a strong lady... then you think of her cousin poor old Mary, has seemingly one marriage after another with hapless fellas and bless her, kids in the workhouse- she dies age 37 and the only incidents for her in the paper are regarding her awful husband/s..  One of her children dies in the workhouse.......... but I am hoping her other daughte lived until 1944 - so a good age c 72... havent gone into her descendants as yet!

There is a lot more to find regarding the Rope business and........
the fact that John Ravens 2nd wife Ann Adcock, was born Ann COOPER - and I know, that Cooper's either owned or part owned the Rope business before William... so will sort that as and when.
Oh.... hang on.......  I have found that it may be closer relation than I thought

William 1830's Dad William Colton 1801 Derbyshire was married to.......Elizabeth Cooper.
So that is the link --
William 1801 actually dies in Baltimore USA.

William Raven Colton 1891 married but seemingly had no children, :( that is why his money went to his solicitors ...maybe...
I have also found his war records..

So as I say it is again the early hours of the morning and I better shut down...

thanks again

xin