Author Topic: John Key married Jane ? in York.  (Read 3356 times)

Offline ragt39

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Key married Jane ? in York.
« on: Tuesday 05 May 15 13:39 BST (UK) »
I am researching a Key family from York and have a John Key who married a Jane and they had 7 children all christened at St. Mary Bishophill Junior York - William (1785), George (1787), Ann (1789), Elizabeth (1791), Charles (1793), Sarah (1796) & Charlotte (1797).  Can anybody help me verify the marriage of John Key & Jane?

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Key married Jane ? in York.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 May 15 13:52 BST (UK) »
How frustrating - here we are bang in the middle of Dade Registers and they are amongst the few entries without the mother's details!!!!  :(

As John is shown as being ex-military, it is possible that they were not married in York.  Again, very frustrating.
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline ragt39

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 May 15 16:02 BST (UK) »
Excuse me BumbleB, but what are Dade Registers?  Also, how do you know that John Key was ex-military?  It is as you say very frustrating.

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 May 15 16:41 BST (UK) »
The Dade registers were widely used in Yorkshire between about 1775 and 1812.  In them, especially baptisms, the names of the father, abode and occupation, plus his parents and the same for the mother.  Usually date of birth is given as well as date of baptism.

Charlotte Key, 6th daughter and 14th born - John Key, Bishophill, Ale draper (I believe this is a publican) late Serjeant in the 17th Regiment of Foot - and Jane his wife - born 6 June, baptised 7 June 1797

Sarah Key, 7th daughter and 15th born - John Key, ale draper on Bishophill, late Serjeant in the 17th Regiment of Foot - and Jane his wife - born 5 February, baptised 5 February 1796.

Charles Key, 8th son and 14th born - John Key , ale draper of Bishophill, late Serjeant in the 17th Regiment of Foot - and Jane his wife - born 12 October, baptised 13 October 1793.

Elizabeth Key - John Key, ale draper on Bishophill, late Serjeant in the 17th Regiment of Foot - and Jane his wife - born 17 March, baptised 19 March 1791

Ann Key - John Key late Serjeant in the 17th Regiment of Foot - and Jane Key his wife.  16 April 1789

George Key - John Key, ale draper on Bishophill ?? (I can't read it) - no mention of wife - born 14 May, baptised 2 July 1787

William Key - John Key, ale draper - born 20 March, baptised 24 March 1785

AND this is why you HAVE to look at the original parish registers  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 May 15 16:50 BST (UK) »
I suggest you look up the 17th Regiment of Foot  ;D
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline ragt39

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 May 15 18:01 BST (UK) »
If my calculations are correct then Charlotte would have been 8th daughter and 16th born.  Since we have only identified 7 children then we're still looking for 9 more baptisms consisting of 5 sons & 4 daughters probably born between 1765-1783.  Do the Dade Registers have any other Key siblings prior to William in 1785? I presume John Key became an 'Alehouse keeper' after he left the 17th Foot Regiment.  It appears that the 17th Regiment of Foot were in North America fighting the American War of Independence from 1776-1786.  Your help is much appreciated

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 05 May 15 20:33 BST (UK) »
I have only checked on the names you gave!!!
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline ragt39

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 14 June 15 10:06 BST (UK) »
After visiting the Borthwick Institute, York I have searched the so-called Dade Registers and found no other children baptised in York prior to William Key, who was baptised 24 Mar 1785.  Although in his case it did not specify his 'rank' in the family I believe he was 6th son & 10th child of John & Jane Key.
It was suggested by BumbleB that I look up the 17th Regiment of Foot.  After much searching I found this entry on findmypast -

http://search.findmypast.co.uk/results/united-kingdom-records-in-military-armed-forces-and-conflict?firstname=john&firstname_variants=true&lastname=key&yearofbirth=1744&yearofbirth_offset=0

This gives Chelsea Pensioners discharge documents for a John Key who served in the 17th Foot and was later transferred to the 84th Foot. On his 'Statement of Service' there is a table recording his periods of service amounting to a total 46 years 261 days.  This statement has 3 lines - one covering his time with 17th Foot Regiment (21 Feb 1762-29 Jul 1783), another covering his time with the 84th Foot Regiment (14 Apr 1794-7 Nov 1808).  The other (middle line) covers the period 29 Jul 1783-13 Apr 1794 - can anyone decipher the entry under 'in what corps' - it seems to use the word 'pension' - any ideas what this could mean ?
I am fairly sure this is our man John Key and the middle period would cover the time he was an 'ale draper'! 

Offline Donna P

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 18 December 16 21:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi. I'm researching my family tree and John Key an ale draper who was a sergeant in the 17th regiment was my great x6 grandad. He married Jane Alcock on 21st Feb 1780. One of their children, George, born 1787, is my great x5 grandad. Happy to exchange info as I'm stuck on going further back than John Key!

Donna