Author Topic: Thomas Alexander Rae, born June 7, 1876 in Kinlochluichart, 1911 res. Culdrain  (Read 6365 times)

Offline KarenAcrossThePond

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hello everyone!

I am hoping that someone might be able to help in some way regarding my great-grandfather, Thomas Alexander Rae born to parents Alexander Rae (1845-1902) and Margaret Rae (1854-1925) in Kinlochluichart on June 7, 1876.

Thomas Alexander Rae married Catherine MacKay (or McKay) on April 12, 1898 in Rogart, Sutherland, Scotland.

The last known address I have is what was recorded on their youngest daughter's birth record in 1911: Culdrain, Rogart, Sutherland, Scotland.

According to his children's birth records, he worked on the railways in many capacities: porter, pointsman, coachman, etc.

Together they had six children:

Alexander Rae (born in 1898)
Christina Elizabeth Mackay Rae (known as "Chrissie") (1900-1927)
Margaret Williamina Rae (known as "Daisy") 1902-1984
Hamish Hugh Mackay Rae (1905-1979)
Alexanderina Marion Rae (1908-1992)
Joey Donella Kathleen Rae (known as "Dossie") (1911-2011)

Hamish Rae remained in Scotland, married and had children (I believe in Rogart)

All their other children and their mother, Catherine Rae (nee MacKay), moved to Canada.

I hope that by placing this in the Sutherland part of the forum, I am putting it in the correct place. Please let me know if I wasn't right.

Family lore says that Thomas Alexander left his family shortly after his youngest daughter was born, in 1911 or 1912. That he "ran off" with a maid who worked in the castle in Golspie, and that they went down with the Titanic, or the other version is that they survived the Titanic and later moved to Canada or the U.S., although I don't seriously believe the latter, lol. I have searched all the Titanic records, passenger and crew, and cannot find a Thomas Alexander Rae.

I have been searching through records for months to find any more information about Thomas Alexander Rae, and I have had no luck whatsoever.

I am wondering if anyone might be able to point me in a direction that might shed some light on the elusive Thomas Alexander Rae?

I thank you very much for reading this, and thank you for your time.

Have a great day!

Offline excel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Alexander Rae, born June 7, 1876 in Kinlochluichart, 1911 res. Culdrain
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 May 15 11:44 BST (UK) »
Hello,
It is certainly a bit of a hunt!
Do you know who Doreen Rae is? She is aged 7 and with Catherine, Joey and Alexanderina when they left for Canada in 1927.
Thomas was named on his daughter Margaret's marriage certificate in 1924. It didn't say whether he was alive or not.
Catherine died 1935 in Toronto. She was a Widow according to the dc but Thomas was not named. The informant was her daughter, Margaret.
So far that's all, sorry.

All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cline: Ireland and Berwick on Twieed
Collin: Eyemouth
Clyne: Ireland, Berwickshire, Northumberland
Barns, Barnes: Fife
Walker: Edinburgh & Stirling
Laing, Wilson, Forrest, Forrester, Colven, Rae, Cowe, Buglass, Johnson, Wilson, Thorburn, Darling, Broomfield, : Berwickshire
McRaw, Cameron, Taylor, Gould/Guild, McIntyre, Maxton, McDonald, Douglass : Perthshire
Cormack, Campbell, Sutherland, Doull: Caithness

Offline KarenAcrossThePond

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Alexander Rae, born June 7, 1876 in Kinlochluichart, 1911 res. Culdrain
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 May 15 14:37 BST (UK) »
Hello!! Thank you so very, very much for taking all the time to find that info for me. I am very grateful!

Yes, it is certainly a bit of a hunt!!

Doreen Rae was the daughter of Christina Rae (who was always known as Chrissie). Chrissie (married name Jennings) and her husband had already moved to Canada with their other daughter, Kathleen, and then Doreen Rae came to Canada with my great-grandmother Catherine Rae (nee MacKay), Alexanderina (my amazing Grandma) and Joey (Dossie) in 1927.

It is that gosh-darned scoundrel Thomas Alexander Rae who is so elusive ... I have been unable to find anything for him with the exception of his birth record, and Thomas' and Catherine marriage record, and residences found on his children's birth records, and that he worked on the railways.

He most certainly did a disappearing act in 1912!! It's amazing how much family lore ends up being considered fact, ha, ha!

But you are so incredibly kind to have spent so much time helping me out. If there is any way that I can help you with anything in the Toronto, Ontario area, please don't hesitate to ask.

With my warm thanks ...

Offline sheilac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 November 15 09:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Karen across the Pond

I was so excited this morning when trawling the internet about Dossie Rae to find your request. I immediately joined Rootschat. My grandfather Alexander Mackay was your grandma's brother. I understand he was very good to the family after Tom Rae went.

I had met Dossie a couple of times when she came over to Rogart. Dossie wrote to me in 2004 with information about her brothers and sisters and said that her father "disappeared" in June or July 1912. I have not tried to track him down but had heard the myth of the Titanic.

My sister stayed with Daisy in 1983.

I have been doing my family tree over many years, started before internet. so will be able to give you more info.

Have you ever been to Scotland? I have been to Canada 3 times. We had a great holiday visitingToronto, Montreal, Quebec City, Ottawa and Niagara Falls in September this year.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 November 15 11:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Karen,

Can you tell us Thomas Alexander's mother's maiden name please?

Have you searched SP leaving out Alexander as he may not have been given his full name on death?

The "names beginning with" option would bring up every Thomas with an initial e.g. Thomas A etc.

Also leave mother's maiden name blank in case it was not known to the informant or spelt wrong.

Annie

ADDED....Also leave yr of birth blank as the informant may have had to guess his age.

1912 - 1976 (if he lived to be 100) with William (only) brings up 216 matches = 9 pages at £0.23p in total £2.07 & may even capture other family members (relatives).
You can skip pages though if you can work out the lettering for middle names i.e. any with initial A will be in the 1st lot of pages after William if that makes sense?
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 24 November 15 12:32 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately , the mother's maiden name is not indexed for most death records pre 1974.

http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/Content/FAQs/Questions/index.aspx?64

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline sheilac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 24 November 15 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Karen

Have looked at what you said about Alexander Rae who died at Braegrudy on 11th February 1902. Braegrudy is in Rogart and the gravestone is in Sciberscross cemetery. It, also, now has engraved on it daughter Annie died 1914 aged16 and wife Margaret died 1925, aged 71. Stone has now fallen down.
Hope this is interesting for you.

Offline sheilac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 24 November 15 20:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Karen

I realise in my excitement this morning that I put that my grandfather Alexander Mackay 1868 - 1940 was your grandma's brother - that is wrong! He was her mother Catherine Mackay's brother. There was another 2 sisters - Williamina 1863 - 1933 and Marion 1865 - 1891.

Offline EddieC2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 30 April 21 17:31 BST (UK) »
If any of you Rae relatives are still looking at this, I may be able to help a little bit with some details about Daisy, Chrissie and a few others.  Reply here and I'll get back to you.

Is there a private messaging system here?  If so that might be the best route.