Author Topic: Waterford marriage Denis Sullivan and Ellen unknown abt. 1850  (Read 3148 times)

Offline reeveh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Waterford marriage Denis Sullivan and Ellen unknown abt. 1850
« on: Tuesday 05 May 15 19:15 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I'm new to this list :)

I have a copy of a church record showing  Ellen Sullivan married to Patrick Sheehan 1870 Stradbally Waterford, the information came from an online source...the father of the bride is named as Denis Sullivan.
The 1881 Wales census  (RG11 Piece 5360 Folio 73 page 34) shows Patrick Sheehan and wife Ellen and children boarding with Dennis Horrigan and his wife Elizabeth, also living with the family is Ellen's mother also named Ellen Sullivan, now a widow abt. 1833 Ireland. Also living in same household is Mary Sullivan sister-in-law of Dennis Horrigan.

The only baptism I could find for Ellen Sullivan abt. 1853 (searched within 10 -/+) where the father's name was Denis mother Ellen  and having two siblings Mary and Elizabeth is:-

Ellen Sullivan bapt. 5 Aug 1851 father Denis Sullivan .....mother Ellen Cleary

I happily thought I'd located the right family but I have two glaring problems as follows:-

1) The only marriage I can find is for Daniel Sullivan and Ellen Cleary 1844 in Stradbally. No marriage record for Denis Sullivan and Ellen Cleary. Could the name of the groom be wrongly transcribed, could the groom actually be Denis Sullivan...the father's name on the church record is also Daniel Sullivan. I can find no children for Daniel Sullivan and Ellen Cleary.

2) The year of the youngest child's baptism  would mean Ellen Cleary gave birth at 12 yrs of age, if her birth year is to be believed on the 1881 census record. All the baptism records for 6 children of Denis Sullivan and Ellen Cleary  are as follows (hope this is helpful) all in Stradbally

Mary Sullivan 1845
Elizabeth 1847
Julian 1849
Ellen 1851
Mary 1857
Elizabeth 1859

The two younger siblings may have died as two older sibling have same name, no death records found on the site I am using.

We all know the census is riddled with errors and as the 1881 record is the only record I can find for Ellen Sullivan, widowed mother of Ellen, Mary and Elizabeth, so it's possible her year of birth is incorrect.

Any ideas of where to go next please ?

Thanks so much for taking the time to read all this

Best Wishes Reeveh