Author Topic: How to find death record without a surname  (Read 4045 times)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
How to find death record without a surname
« on: Tuesday 05 May 15 20:25 BST (UK) »
FindMyPast has the image of the burial records for St George hanover square for 1853. One burial is for Charles with no surname buried on 23 Jan 1853 age 39, abode Farm Street.
An online tree cites this record as evidence for the burial of Charles Livermore. I believe that the Charles Livermore in question actually died in 1877.

Can anyone suggest how to find who this Charles with no surname actually was.

I believe I have found Charles Livermore's baptism in 1803, his first marriage in 1822, baptisms of several children from 1822 to 1839, census records for his deserted wife, census records for him living with a second lady  (as husband and wife), baptisms of their children, census records for him living with a third lady with their children and eventual marriage to the this lady a few years before his death and the same year as his wife of 1822 died.

If the death in  1853 proves to be Charles Livermore, then I need to rethink a lot of the tree.

Any ideas?
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: How to find death record without a surname
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 May 15 20:34 BST (UK) »
If the burial is for Charles who was 39 in 1853, he was born about 1814.

So how can he be Charles Livermore born 1803?

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 May 15 20:39 BST (UK) »
On Freebmd just search for Charles death March 1853 to March  1853 St George Hanover Square. 13 come up - no Livermore though.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 May 15 20:59 BST (UK) »
Census records for Charles are extremely variable as to his age so it could fit depending on the informant. He is always a tailor and born London.

The records I have are:
Charles married Charlotte Scott 1822 (London). No occupation or father given as record is pre-reg. Witnesses don't seem to be related to either bride or groom.
Series of baptisms of children where Charles is a tailor from 1822 to 1834.(London)
1841 census, Charlotte on her own with corresponding children (London)
1841 census, Charles with Augusta in Manchester
1851 census Charles with Augusta in London with several children
1861 Charles with Eliza "wife" in London. Augusta "widow" in Liverpool with children including youngest child who seems to be fathered by a different man.
1871 census Charles with Eliza and children, Charlotte with unmarreid daughter listed as Tailor's wife, no sign of husband. Augusta widow. Augusta's children living separately performing as Livermore court minstrels
1874 Charlotte dies, Charles marries Eliza Charlotte.
1877 Both Charles  and Augusta died.

There is no sign of the Charles who lives with and eventually marries Eliza before 1861. There is no marriage between Charles and Augusta (Augusta Sophia Richardson).
There is no death of Charles Livermore between 1851 and 1861 to make Augusta a widow. Unles Charles with no surname was him.
When Charles married Eliza Charlotte in 1874 he said his father was John an upholsterer, this matches with a baptism in 1803 and his age at death in 1877 and some census records. Probate for Charles d 1877 is to Eliza Charlotte Livermore.

I have seen records for deaths of unnamed babies with surname, unnamed newborns with unnamed mothers from Workhouse, travellers and strangers found dead in a ditch or on a road, but I cannot believe that a married man with a family living in the parish would be buried without a name recorded.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 May 15 21:27 BST (UK) »
On Freebmd just search for Charles death March 1853 to March  1853 St George Hanover Square. 13 come up - no Livermore though.

I tried that and checked through 1851 census to see if any matched on age. The only one was Charles  Stewart in Union Street with no occupation or place of birth recorded. But he matches up with a burial in his full name of Charles William Stewart.

matching burials against the 13 deaths on FreeBmd,
I can also eliminate
Fossett, Huson, Mayor, Richards and Stammer(s).,

Offline Gaie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • CenInf Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 May 15 00:21 BST (UK) »
Hi LizzieL

Do the images show which burial ground was used?

The LDS have a film that includes funeral dues at the Bayswater Road Burial Ground, 1846-1854:

Film #1546181, a copy of which is held at the London LDS centre at The National Archives (hope these links work).

https://familysearch.org/search/catalog/396300?availability=Family%20History%20Library

http://www.londonfhc.org/content/catalogue?filmNo=1546181&inventory=1

It might be worth a look.

KR
Gaie

~Added: Looks like it was Bayswater at that time:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_George's,_Hanover_Square
Sussex, Burwash/Somerset/South London: PANKHURST/FABLING/GREEN/KING/PARROT/POPE/PEMBROKE
Notts/Leics/London: POLLARD/BELAND/FELLS/MORRISON/MARYSON/CLARKE
Northants: MARRIOT/T
Suffolk: LINGLY/LINGLEY/LINDLY/LINDLEY/ SEAGER /SIGGER/SEGGAR/VINCE
Gloucs: WINDOW Glamorgan: JENKINS Cardiganshire: JONES
Poland: OZIEMKIEWICZ France: LINETTE

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 13 May 15 07:35 BST (UK) »
One way might be to look through the PO / Trade directories

I might be able to do that on Saturday. However, I can't even find him in the 1851 census so might not be your best bet!

Can you let me know which street he's in?
Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 13 May 15 09:18 BST (UK) »
If the burial is for Charles who was 39 in 1853, he was born about 1814.

So how can he be Charles Livermore born 1803?

Charles's age is a bit variable on censuses.
In 1841 birth year is 1806 (but will have been rounded)
In 1851 it is 1815.
In 1851 the surname is transcribed as Sivermore on some sites
Piece no 1475, Folio 101, Page 32.
Definitely same Charles on the two censuses, "wife" Augusta, birth of first child in Manchester (where they were in 1841)
The person who I believe is the same Charles was born in 1814 according to 1861 census and 1809 according to 1871 census. In 1861 he is transcribed as Levermore
Piece no    15, Folio no 47, Page no 25
The Charles living with (and later married to) Eliza C(harlotte) Livermorein 1861 and 1871 is definitely the one who died in Q1 1877, because probate is granted to his wife Eliza Charlotte Livermore. Age at death is 73. This is consistent with someone born between beginning April 1803 and end March 1804. On his marriage to Eliza he says his father is John an upholsterer. I have found a baptism of a Charles in 1803 to a John and Mary. There are a set of other children with ages approx 2 years apart also born to John and Mary in the same area of London. only one gives an occupation for John but that is upholsterer, so it does fit.
Charles is consistently a tailor - sometimes foreman tailor through all census records, In 1841 he is not born in county (Lancashire) because he was in Manchester at the time. In all other censuses he was born in London or Middlesex - no district or parish mentioned. Possibly he didn't know. This would be consistent with the group of children baptised by John and Mary in three different but fairly close parishes. The family moved about a bit so perhaps he wasn't sure where exactly he was born.
If I have the correct John for his father he died when Charles was quite young.
Unfortunately, all the details I have of this family are on my laptop which died last Friday.

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 13 May 15 09:47 BST (UK) »

Do the images show which burial ground was used?

Looking at the Wiki article, I agree it would be Bayswater in 1853.
This is the entry.
The first ditto is date (January 23) and the last ditto is the Rev A Alston.
Charles Livermore and Augusta weren't living in Farm Street in 1851.