Author Topic: Charles Allum b.1875 circa - Possible Traveller/Gypsy Heritage?  (Read 8192 times)

Offline samlouise01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Charles Allum b.1875 circa - Possible Traveller/Gypsy Heritage?
« on: Wednesday 06 May 15 02:23 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I wonder if anyone could help me, I have managed to find a census record for my Grt Grt Grandfather Charles Allum with the above birthdate, stating that he was a marine store dealer, born in Norwich. (living in Brighton at the time of the 1911 census)  His wife's name is Elizabeth. I have read on here various threads that say allum is a traveller name, i am wondering if there is a connection as i am finding it very hard to find a record of his birth!

please if anyone has any ideas let me know thank you  :)

Sam
Westmeath - Charles/McCormack/Cullen/Shaw/Kenan

Dublin - Moore/Sweetman/Giles

Kildare- Morrin

Tipperary- Dooley

Sussex- Guile/ Turner

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Allum b.1875 circa - Possible Traveller/Gypsy Heritage?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 May 15 08:14 BST (UK) »
Have you found his marriage to Elizabeth? Her maiden name can be found from the birth cert of your great grandfather/mother.
That will give his fathers name, hopefully, and anoccupation for his father, hopefully. Or maybe fathers namewill be blank indicating illegitimacy. Either way it will give you more info.
Also have you worked back through the censuses to see oif you can find him in. 1901/1891/1881?

Both of these ideas will help you work back from the 1911 that you have, to his birth, one step at a time.  And may reveal why his birth is hard to find, aswell as give you more info about his family and whether they were travellers or not.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 May 15 09:44 BST (UK) »
Can't seem to find them in 1901  :-\

There's a marriage 1900 Brighton with a Charles Allum Elizabeth Allen possible bride but that's too late for the children listed.

There's a Charles Allum born Hoxne district - could that be a vague area for Norwich?
Jun 1876
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 May 15 10:58 BST (UK) »
I can't see them in 1901 either.   The younger children seem to be registered as Allum, but I can't see births registered for the older children or father Charles

I keep coming back to this family in 1891 living in Fullers Hole, Norwich.  Apart from Charles the other majority of the children were born in Norwich, Norfolk.  By 1901 the family - minus Charles - were lodging in Suffolk with one young child listed as born in Hastings, Sussex.  I can't see a birth reg for this Charles, but there is a tree online with a birth cert for sibling Frederick born 19 Oct 1881 in Knodishall, Suffolk which lists his father Charles as a Marine Store Dealer

Charles Allum 43 Hawker b Ipswich, Suffolk,
Sophia Allum 33 Hawker b Suffolk
Charles Allum 17  Hawker b Cambridge
William Allum 11
Frederick Allum    9  Suffolk
Alfred Allum 4
Arthur Allum 6 months
G12 Piece 1518 Folio 71 Page 13

Kay

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 May 15 11:26 BST (UK) »
Sam,
A warm welcome to Rootschat.
Do you have access to Find My Past? Checking newspaper records there are several mentions of "Allum" and the marine store trade. One mentions a "Charles Allum, travelling marine store dealer". He's not the Charles in your 1911 Census, born 1875 but links to the "traveller name" thread. 

Offline samlouise01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 06 May 15 12:35 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone!

oh gosh! thanks for all the replies! wasn't expecting that. I am at work at the moment, but will check this all out when i get home, i didn't want to leave you all hanging though. Its funny because my Father was always told that his grt grandfather was Irish born and bred... Cork infact was the story, so i was a bit shocked to see his birth listed as Norwich. Allum from what i can tell, is a romany gypsy name and as far as my traveller knowledge goes, they are not the same people... Confusing!

Lizdb- i haven't got the cert yet. I only found the census record yesterday but will order this asap! thanks for the heads up :-)

Hi Kay99 many thanks for the info. So maybe this ties in with the whole "born in Ireland" thing? or maybe Charles was a second name? I will have to look when i get home (bloody work! grrr)

Hanes teleu- I do have access to find my past. its the only one i do actually! Thank you for that i will check this out too. On a slightly different subject. i am fairly new to this as you may of guessed and so i don't really know which is the best websites? what would you recommend as a site with the most/best records?

exciting stuff!

thanks again everyone Sam :-)

Kildare- Morrin

Tipperary- Dooley

Sussex- Guile/ Turner

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 06 May 15 13:30 BST (UK) »
As you have access to FindMyPast - I think the baptism of the Charles Allum I posted in 1891 is on the site - 1873 at Bury St Edmunds Suffolk parents Charles and Sophia (Charles listed as a Hawker)

Good Luck Kay

Offline DAVEY allum

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 14 April 16 10:22 BST (UK) »
Hi as you can see my name is DAVEY allum and am one of Frederick allum (son of Charles)grandsons the family are Romany gypsies and were "hawkers" by trade would be great to know more about my grandfathers family and precious history

Offline samlouise01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 14 April 16 17:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Davy!,  my grandmother was Irene Allum, her father was William or Bill as everyone called him. He actually outlived my grandmother and survived into his 90's. He was in the 8th army under monty as far as the family knows.  I have a few photos if you would like go send me an inbox message with your email I can send them over.

Kildare- Morrin

Tipperary- Dooley

Sussex- Guile/ Turner