Author Topic: Thomas Redford  (Read 2254 times)

Offline Denise Kay

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Redford
« on: Wednesday 06 May 15 07:31 BST (UK) »
Thomas Redford was born about 1754. He married Ann Hopper in 1790 at St Mary's Richmond. He died in 1824. I am searching for his christening date and location. He was a stone mason and it is believed he was apprenticed to George Branson the master stone mason.
Thanking you for your time and effort.

Offline genealogist1000

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Redford
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 May 15 21:46 BST (UK) »
Hi, did you get the information from freereg.org? If not, the witnesses to the marriage were Wm Moss and Martha Marshall, and on findmypast.co.uk, since this marriage was by licence, it says they were both of the parish. It might be worth trying to get the licence papers to see the bondsman, who was sometimes a relative.
Have you also found Thomas' remarriage?
Interestingly enough, one of his children was George Branson Redford? They must have been pretty close.

The only Thomas I could find born in 1750 was not in Yorkshire, but for a non-conformist in Nottingham, which was 117 miles away.

Offline Denise Kay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 May 15 23:27 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for this information.
I have used many sources to get the information including but not freereg.org. I had not heard of this source. I know their marriage date but have not viewed the original entry.
I am intending to visit Yorkshire this year. Could you inform me of the procedure to get the licence papers.
Cheers

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 May 15 07:37 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately the Marriage Bond and Allegation papers do not appear to have survived.  FindMyPast have transcriptions of York Marriage Bonds, and there is no entry for Thomas Redford in 1790.  You could always double-check with the Borthwick Institute in York, who hold the Diocesan records.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline genealogist1000

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 May 15 21:24 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately the Marriage Bond and Allegation papers do not appear to have survived.  FindMyPast have transcriptions of York Marriage Bonds, and there is no entry for Thomas Redford in 1790.  You could always double-check with the Borthwick Institute in York, who hold the Diocesan records.

I found a marriage bond on findmypast? I'm glad I could introduce you to freereg, I hope you find some useful information, as I have also found on this website.

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 08 May 15 08:15 BST (UK) »
You'e obviously cleverer than I am, genealogist1000 - I still can't trace the entry for a Marriage Licence on FindMyPast.   :(  Shame, as it would give you the age of both parties (or at least, the age they admitted to).

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Teessearcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 22 April 16 21:06 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have spent many years researching the Redford family tree, made more difficult by the numerous name and spelling changes.  Thomas Redford born abt 1754 and dying 1824 was one of my "brick walls" for many years as his descendants I am interested in are now Redfern, having been Redfearn, Readfern.  Finally cracked it with a visit to Northallerton records office and found Thomas Redford.  However, the plot thickened, as Thomas Redford was the son of Thomas Redhead born 1708 and his wife Isabel Brown.  Thomas Redhead being the son of a James Redhead.  My search continues!  Dont know if this will help with your research.
Westmoreland: Percival, Pattinson, Dover
Durham/North Yorks: Percival, Parmley
N.Yorks: Smith, Bell, Clark, Orton, Scott, Percival,
Redfern, Redfearn, Redford, Watt