Author Topic: Anything more for Andrew Alexander (New York)?  (Read 1528 times)

Offline hiraethu

• RootsChat Extra
  • Mary (Johnston) Alexander (Oct 1845 - Oct 1934)
    • View Profile
Anything more for Andrew Alexander (New York)?
« on: Wednesday 06 May 15 10:33 BST (UK) »
I understand this is probably a longshot, but this is always my go-to place for longshots!

After finding out what happened to a small group of my Scottish lot, my Dad was rather endeared by one of the ancestors we found. Although I think I've found everything I can for him (and then some), my Dad still asks if I've found anything new. So, this is my request, to see if there's anything else I could possibly find for him (even an obit or something, or websites that I may have overlooked), or if I've found all there is. I'm just looking for info about him, as I've traced his parents etc back already.

Anyway, to what I have. Andrew Alexander was born in 1881 (27 July) in Camlachie, Glasgow, Lanarkshire. I have a scan of his birth entry from ScotlandsPeople. In 1890 I have a passenger list showing him visiting family in Boston (with his family). He can then be found in the 1891 and 1901 Scottish censuses with his family. On May 15th 1902 he arrived with some of his family in New York to settle. He's in the 1910 US census living in Manhattan Ward 12 with his mother and sisters (and some niblings). He became a naturalised citizen in 1913, and his occupation is listed as a machinist. I have his draft registration card from 1918. In 1920 US census he's living with his sister and her husband in the Bronx (his mother never became a citizen and spent this part of her life pretty much going back and forth between the US, Scotland, and Ireland to check on her kids. who knows how she afforded it!). In 1925 US census he's with his mother (either as lodgers or with lodgers) in the Bronx. In 1930 US census he's with his mother and now divorced sister in the Bronx. In 1940 US census he's with his sister in the Bronx. He died in 1954 and is buried in Evergreen Cemetery Hillside, NJ in a family plot (another sister's in-law's plot).

As you can see, we've already got a good amount for him. We even found two patents that might have been from our Andrew, as he's self-described as an inventor in some records.

Now, is there realistically anything more I can find for him (aside from a death certificate, which I will purchase eventually) or any websites that might be useful, or is this pretty much it? I know I have a lot already, so I'm not too sad if there's nothing else, but I figured I'd try so I can tell my Dad as much.

Many thanks for any help!
Wales - Moses, Morgan, James, Williams, Thomas, Miles, Davies [South]
Isle of Man - Mylchreest, Kneale, Clague, Callister, Cowin, Oates, Kelly, Gelling, Cubbon, Comish, Gell, Harrison, Costain [South]
Scotland - Alexander, Johnston, Scotland, Muirhead, Dow, Forrest [Central]
Ireland - Alexander, Morrison, Gallaugher, McCrabb, Smyth [Ulster]
Canada - Alexander, Mylchreest [Manitoba, BC]
USA - Alexander [North/Northeast]

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Anything more for Andrew Alexander (New York)?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 May 15 14:13 BST (UK) »
On an index of Bronx County, New York Civil Case Records, there is an entry from 9 May 1914 that indicates that Andrew Alexander was a plaintiff and Jabez Burns was a defendant.  No further information is given other than the volume/page/file number.

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 May 15 15:49 BST (UK) »
You could rummage around for mention of him or other family members in the Brooklyn Daily Eagle which is available for free online.  I took a quick peek and, unfortunately, 'Andrew Alexander' was the name of a heavily advertised shoe store so there are many hits on that name.

http://bklyn.newspapers.com/
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 May 15 15:57 BST (UK) »
www.fultonhistory.com also has a lot of New York City-area newspapers, but not so much from the Bronx specifically. 

City directories can give information about where people were living and their occupations.  Some links for New York City here - https://sites.google.com/site/onlinedirectorysite/Home/usa/ny/newyorkcity

Offline hiraethu

• RootsChat Extra
  • Mary (Johnston) Alexander (Oct 1845 - Oct 1934)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 May 15 18:41 BST (UK) »
This is great! Thank you both so much. I'll have to put aside a few hours (or more) and have a proper look through for any mentions, and see if I can investigate the civil case record any further.

Many thanks!
Wales - Moses, Morgan, James, Williams, Thomas, Miles, Davies [South]
Isle of Man - Mylchreest, Kneale, Clague, Callister, Cowin, Oates, Kelly, Gelling, Cubbon, Comish, Gell, Harrison, Costain [South]
Scotland - Alexander, Johnston, Scotland, Muirhead, Dow, Forrest [Central]
Ireland - Alexander, Morrison, Gallaugher, McCrabb, Smyth [Ulster]
Canada - Alexander, Mylchreest [Manitoba, BC]
USA - Alexander [North/Northeast]