Author Topic: Susan McCabe McManus  (Read 2948 times)

Offline annemc18

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Susan McCabe McManus
« on: Wednesday 06 May 15 18:34 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I'm looking for help in finding more information about my great grandmother. Her name is Susan McCabe and she was married to Francis McManus. He came to Philadelphia with his kids in May 1889. I believe she died in Ireland before they came over. I found a gravesite record on a donegal website for a Susan McManus that died on March 19, 1889.  The grave is in Carne graveyard, pettigo. This is where all the kids were born and where her husband listed as his home town on his naturalization papers.  They left for American about 2 months after the date of death. It seems like it could possibly be her but what would be the best way to prove or disprove?  I'm on ancestry.com but have not found anything useful. Thanks in advance for your help!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Susan McCabe McManus
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 May 15 18:44 BST (UK) »
He came to Philadelphia with his kids in May 1889. I believe she died in Ireland before they came over.
What is his marital status on the passenger manifest? (single, married, widowed)

I found a gravesite record on a donegal website for a Susan McManus that died on March 19, 1889.
If you order the death certificate it will give an exact place of death and marital status as well as an informant (hopefully her husband?).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Susan McCabe McManus
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 May 15 14:39 BST (UK) »

It seems like it could possibly be her but what would be the best way to prove or disprove?

Pettigo is one of many places which today lie right on the border between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland, I have visited several times myself.  I checked GRONI online and, sure enough, there is a civil death record for a Susan McManus on 19 March 1889, registered Irvinestown registration district, reported age 38.

Available here, choosing the "Full" option for £2 (today's rates) lets you see a digitised image of the original:

https://geni.nidirect.gov.uk/