Author Topic: Where Am I? No. 20 Needle in a Haystack No 2. - Thatched Farm House  (Read 13332 times)

Offline Old Bristolian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stephen Bumstead 1844-1903
    • View Profile
Re: Where Am I? No. 20 Needle in a Haystack No 2. - Thatched Farm House
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 07 May 15 14:33 BST (UK) »
It certainly looks like a longhouse - possibly Devon, and I would guess certainly West Country. There would have been a cross passage in the middle with animals kept in the left side of the building (the roof-line shows some sort of break here) and the chimney to the left would have been the only one. An extension some time later (possibly 18th century) with two more chimney stacks making an L shape. Would like to see the other side which probably has the original front doorway

Steve
Bumstead - London, Suffolk
Plant, Woolnough, Wase, Suffolk
Flexney, Godfrey, Burson, Hobby -  Oxfordshire
Street, Mitchell - Gloucestershire
Horwood, Heale Drew - Bristol
Gibbs, Gait, Noyes, Peters, Padfield, Board, York, Rogers, Horler, Heale, Emery, Clavey, Mogg, - Somerset
Fook, Snell - Devon
M(a)cDonald, Yuell, Gollan, McKenzie - Rosshire
McLennan, Mackintosh - Inverness
Williams, Jones - Angelsey & Caernarvon
Campbell, McMartin, McLellan, McKercher, Perthshire

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 07 May 15 15:59 BST (UK) »
I think DK stands for Don't Know.
I have searched images for thatched cottages in places beginning with D in Kent, but no luck.
There is still Devon, Dorset, Dartmoor in the south of England to go ....... another time
Pat
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU

Offline Jolee

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 07 May 15 16:18 BST (UK) »
Just a thought could it be three workers cottages joined into one, it looks like three different roof levels and the chimneys seem in a strange place for one building

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 07 May 15 16:21 BST (UK) »
I reckon photo's post WWII. Grading was introduced then. Odd chimney stacks. Don't think they would be allowed now. Probably a row of cottages knocked into one, say 1930's, built c1700 to 1750.

I wouldn't want to live in one of those. Pretty to look at but apart from the fire hazard, no insulation, no damp course. Built at ground level, so in heavy rain, water comes in under the doors. That's why they had huge inglenook fireplaces, probably kept fire burning all year round and not just for cooking.

My great aunt Queenie had one such, quite a big one. John Betjemans daughter (onetime next door neighbours) used it as example for Oxfordshire in her book 'English Country Cottages'. Great aunt sold it and had modern house built other side.   

Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 07 May 15 22:28 BST (UK) »
Good evening,

Looks like a Suffolk style farmhouse to me but could be wrong. Fairly thin thatch not in keeping with what I know from the west country. Looks like Norfolk reed with only a very minimal ridge, there  is a hint of patterning of spars.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 08 May 15 00:56 BST (UK) »
It certainly looks like a longhouse - possibly Devon, and I would guess certainly West Country. There would have been a cross passage in the middle with animals kept in the left side of the building (the roof-line shows some sort of break here) and the chimney to the left would have been the only one. An extension some time later (possibly 18th century) with two more chimney stacks making an L shape. Would like to see the other side which probably has the original front doorway

Steve

Hi Steve

Thanks very much for the interesting description, especially about the left side being some sort of barn. Makes me want to see the internal layout even more.  I wonder if the smell from the animals would permeate through the rest of the house.

Thanks very much for taking the time to comment.

Caz
Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 08 May 15 00:57 BST (UK) »
I think DK stands for Don't Know.
I have searched images for thatched cottages in places beginning with D in Kent, but no luck.
There is still Devon, Dorset, Dartmoor in the south of England to go ....... another time
Pat

Could be right Pat.  As I said, probably a red herring.  Odd though as it must mean something and you never know, it could actually mean "don't know!"  ::)

Thanks to you as well Pat for sticking with me on these quests!  :-*

Caz
Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 08 May 15 00:59 BST (UK) »
Just a thought could it be three workers cottages joined into one, it looks like three different roof levels and the chimneys seem in a strange place for one building

Hi Jolee

You could be right and interesting observation.  Hopefully it remains as one building today, but it wouldn't surprise me if had had been reverted back to cottages to be sold individually.  Not sure if that would be allowed, hopefully not.

Thank you for taking the time to help out with finding this place, very much appreciated.

Caz

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 08 May 15 01:09 BST (UK) »
I reckon photo's post WWII. Grading was introduced then. Odd chimney stacks. Don't think they would be allowed now. Probably a row of cottages knocked into one, say 1930's, built c1700 to 1750.

I wouldn't want to live in one of those. Pretty to look at but apart from the fire hazard, no insulation, no damp course. Built at ground level, so in heavy rain, water comes in under the doors. That's why they had huge inglenook fireplaces, probably kept fire burning all year round and not just for cooking.

My great aunt Queenie had one such, quite a big one. John Betjemans daughter (onetime next door neighbours) used it as example for Oxfordshire in her book 'English Country Cottages'. Great aunt sold it and had modern house built other side.   

Interesting to hear someone's viewpoint that has lived in a picture book  (literally  ;D) house. I guess I have a romantic view of them, but I'm sure in reality they could be quite a nightmare to maintain.

Still, if I ever had the opportunity I think I would snap one up and install a massive drainage system!  ;D ;D

Thank you very much for your comments, food for thought!

Caz