Author Topic: Where Am I? No. 20 Needle in a Haystack No 2. - Thatched Farm House  (Read 13347 times)

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Where Am I? No. 20 Needle in a Haystack No 2. - Thatched Farm House
« on: Thursday 07 May 15 02:19 BST (UK) »
In case you are going crossed eyed looking at mock tudor buildings, I thought I'd try my luck with this one and I'm hoping it's a listed building and still exists somewhere in the UK!  :-\

Must stress, these photos have nothing to do with any of the previous  WAIs and are from a different batch of building photos I have.

Happy hunting!  :)

Caz
Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Where Am I? No. 20 Needle in a Haystack No 2. - Thatched Farm House
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 May 15 02:20 BST (UK) »
Second view.

Caz
Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 May 15 02:21 BST (UK) »
Third view.

I think these may be before and after.

These photos do not look anything special, just a nice building, but when you scan them and see them on a monitor they look wonderful!  Thank goodness for digital technology!

Caz

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 May 15 03:49 BST (UK) »
Beautiful building Caz - looks like a longhouse, possibly southern counties. Appears to have been extended over the years.

Is there anything on the back of the photo? I am guessing the tiled 'extension' and the 'awning' could have been added some time from the 20s to 50s? Not very sympathetic to the original house. I'm wondering if China or one of the others will be able to date the photo from the photo size, white border or other dating clue?  :-\

So photo 3 is the before, and photos 1 and 2 after doing up the garden?

Another observation - the thatch is quite thin and plain (no decorative 'bits' that you often see in thatched roofs) - might this be a location clue. If the house still stands it must have been rethatched (or possibly tiled  :P) between then and now though. Can you zoom into the ridge Caz to see if there are any pattern along the roofline?

(I've convinced myself that I'm talking with authority.  ;D)

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 May 15 03:55 BST (UK) »
It all sounds extremely plausible to me!  ;D

Yes, I should have posted No 3 first, but didn't actually notice until they were on the screen.  Can you imagine that garden in full bloom?  This is greeting card material.  I so hope it still exists.

Nothing on the back sadly.  I think they may have been taken by the owner.  They are more contemporary happy snaps.  My instincts say 50s/60s but that's just a wild guess really.

Caz

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 May 15 04:03 BST (UK) »
I think 50s sounds possible.

Another observation -: The window sizes and non-uniform nature of the building are even more extreme than usual in these buildings. Window sizes vary all along the house - you can sort of see where extensions might have been added, but the window sizes appear random. I suppose some may have been replaced by larger ones over the years.

Very interesting building. I would love to have a dig around inside.  :)

It appears to be a countryside location though that may not be the case today. Dartmoor? :-\

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 07 May 15 05:45 BST (UK) »
You hope that a beautiful building like this would have been preserved, but of course there is always the issue of fire or some mad council allowing it's destruction. 

You would have to be very dedicated to restore a listed building though, as I just read of case where a chap had to remove 12,000 pounds worth of replaced thatched roof because it was 4 inches too high.  Absolute madness.  ::) ::)

Could be anywhere really, there aren't many visual clues are there?

Personally I would love to own it along with Balholmie and Burnham Beeches!  ;D
Caz

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 07 May 15 05:52 BST (UK) »
You hope that a beautiful building like this would have been preserved, but of course there is always the issue of fire or some mad council allowing it's destruction. 

You would have to be very dedicated to restore a listed building though, as I just read of case where a chap had to remove 12,000 pounds worth of replaced thatched roof because it was 4 inches too high.  Absolute madness.  ::) ::)

Could be anywhere really, there aren't many visual clues are there?

Personally I would love to own it along with Balholmie and Burnham Beeches!  ;D
Caz

Agree with all of this Caz. Especially the bit about wanting to own Balholmie and Burnham Beeches!  ;) Bet there are some nice old beams inside that farmhouse - if so, I'll put that on my list too, but dependant upon it's location.

Regarding the guy who had to remove the thatch - I am assuming he knew about the restrictions? If he went ahead despite this and replaced the thatch incorrectly, then perhaps the re-replacement was justified. I suppose it depends on circumstances. But yes, there are some odd rules and regs related to restoring a listed building - some I agree with, and others I don't.

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 07 May 15 13:42 BST (UK) »
The more I look, the more jealous I become! I want to live in a  chocolate box cottage overlooking rolling hills!  :) :)

However, I do fear it is going to be another needle in a haystack.

I just noticed that one of the photos has "D K" pencilled on the back.  A place name maybe?  Or a red herring to send us on a wild goose chase I bet.

Caz