Author Topic: John & Jane Young  (Read 3535 times)

Offline snowolf

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
John & Jane Young
« on: Thursday 07 May 15 11:04 BST (UK) »
Me got headache here !!!
Gravestone in Marykirk  mentions John Young (D) 1869 aged 88 ...also wife Jane Leay  (D) 1865 aged 65.
I cannot find the death certificates on Scotlandspeople., i've tried  surname Ley for Jane .
I thought maybe the other local areas,but still no joy .
I cant find them in 1861 cencus either .

thanks for your help ,
Snowolf :)
"Durward"... (logie-pert, Dundee, Scotland,& Sydney ,Australia ,New Hampshire , U.S.A ).  "Johnston"..(Logie-pert, "Smith".."Arbuthnott/ monifieth/Montrose/laurencekirk , Scotland) "Kennedy"..(Dundee,Comrie) Scotland  & Australia. "Marshall"..(alloa, Clackmannanshire , Scotland). 
" Myles".. ( Scone, Perthshire , Scotland).
"Edward".. (Kincardneshire ,Dundee,Scotland),  Taylor..(Garvock,Kincardineshire,Scotland) , "Young"..(Kincardineshire),Scotland.
"Robertson"..Perthshire ,Scotland)

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John & Jane Young
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 May 15 12:09 BST (UK) »
Have you seen the actual stone, or a full transcription of it? Does it say where they lived?

It might be that the stone has the year wrong (not unheard of, especially if it was erected some time after their deaths). If they died at the very end of the year, their deaths might have been registered at the start of the following one. Have you tried "Jean" as a Christian name? They may have lived and died outwith the parish/district and been buried there because they had lived there earlier and might have had children in a grave already.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 May 15 12:13 BST (UK) »
A tree on Ancestry has a copy of the death for Jane Ley but the date of death is 11 March 1855 at Lutherbridge Marykirk Kincardineshire ..
John Young b 1786 age 75 address Lutherbridge Marykirk Kincardineshire retired labour in the 1861 census

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 May 15 16:53 BST (UK) »
Hi all ,

FreeCEN 1851 Census transcription Luther Bridge Marykirk Kincardineshire
John Young 64 labourer b. Marykirk Kincardineshire
Jane Young 59 wife b. Marykirk Kincardineshire

Scotlandspeople has a Jean Young(other surname Ley) death 1855 Marykirk Kincardine , born c1789.
(Perhaps the one that Rosie mentions).

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 May 15 17:10 BST (UK) »
An 1855 Scottish death certificate actually lists all the children of the deceased - the only year that happened.

Offline snowolf

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 May 15 18:22 BST (UK) »
Yippee!!!
Thankyou so much GR2 & Roslie,  went back to scotlandspeople & tried again with the year 1855 as you mentioned and Hey Presto ! thats the lady i'm looking for .
I was at the library & looked up gravestone inscriptions for Marykirk,thats where i got 1865 from ,...so they are 10 years out !........very happy i asked for help now ,& even happier you both helped .
thanks again ,
Snowolf ;D
"Durward"... (logie-pert, Dundee, Scotland,& Sydney ,Australia ,New Hampshire , U.S.A ).  "Johnston"..(Logie-pert, "Smith".."Arbuthnott/ monifieth/Montrose/laurencekirk , Scotland) "Kennedy"..(Dundee,Comrie) Scotland  & Australia. "Marshall"..(alloa, Clackmannanshire , Scotland). 
"Edward".. (Kincardneshire ,Dundee,Scotland),  Taylor..(Garvock,Kincardineshire,Scotland) , "Young"..(Kincardineshire),Scotland.

Offline snowolf

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 08 May 15 10:26 BST (UK) »
another headache ,
Now i cant find death of John Young,
he was alive in 1861 living at Lutherbridge ,Marykirk,aged 75 (according to cencus),
so in 1869 that would make him 80 & not 88 as it states on gravestone ( yes that same stone that got me all confused before ) with Jean ,again  i have racked my brains on scotlandspeople .
There is one for his age ,but in Brechin...which i may give that one a go , might be a shot in the dark ,nothing to lose .
Snowolf ???

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 08 May 15 11:24 BST (UK) »
Yes I could not see a death for him also maybe he was living with some of his family have you checked them on the census forms ..Or he could have been in a hospital or a home only one way to find out for the one in Brechin fingers crossed  :)