Author Topic: Help needed with a talk, please  (Read 9146 times)

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed with a talk, please
« Reply #18 on: Friday 08 May 15 09:24 BST (UK) »
Hi SMG

Voice recordings might be less intimidating than video. More like a natural conversation. And they wouldn't have to write it down. Someone else could transcribe it.

Venelow
This would have been my suggestion as well.

Make it as natural a setting as possible and look to ask leading questions ie are they of an age when a parent may have had some involvement in either war. What major event do they remember themselves ie coronation, general strike , trouble down't mill , rationing and the like. This can be  in a group setting so they can bounce memories off of each other or one on one for the more personal memories
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline confused73

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 08 May 15 09:51 BST (UK) »
Recording on a tape can be daunting, for anyone, I tried to write about a village I had moved to, I  invited an elderly villager to tell me about the  village, over tea we chatted and I asked if I could make notes or use my tape as what she told me was so interesting, this seemed to work and she told me so much. A lot of older people do not realise what they remember is so interesting but once they understand they are a minefield of historical details .
Bottle,Wheatley Marsh, Williams, Dowling,    Penrose, Gilbert

Offline relatedtoturnips

• --
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 08 May 15 12:27 BST (UK) »

Just a tip for Video work. The camera does not have to be right in front of the persons face, as this can be a bit much for people.

You can place the camera in a corner of the room, and sit away from it. Make sure the camera is zoomed in correctly. Obviously tell the people the camera is there.

After a very short time, they will forget the camera exists and talk as normal.

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 08 May 15 12:33 BST (UK) »
Unless it's me who is mistaken, I think some people are confused as to what STG wants. As I understand it, she is giving a talk, during which she is will suggest that the audience goes home and records their own memories and experiences in some form or other.  I don't think she is planning to do the interviewing and recording as part of the talk itself.

It sounds a very good idea for your talk, by the way, especially if you can show examples of how easily family information can get lost.

Mike

Offline relatedtoturnips

• --
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 08 May 15 12:39 BST (UK) »
Unless it's me who is mistaken, I think some people are confused as to what STG wants. As I understand it, she is giving a talk, during which she is will suggest that the audience goes home and records their own memories and experiences in some form or other.  I don't think she is planning to do the interviewing and recording as part of the talk itself.

It sounds a very good idea for your talk, by the way, especially if you can show examples of how easily family information can get lost.

Mike

Good point. But as a video fan I feel the camera is nothing to be afraid of, for people thinking of recording family and friends.

The facial reactions and emotional nuance the camera picks up, can add so much more to a story. Ultimately I suppose as long as the information is recorded, its all good.

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 08 May 15 13:15 BST (UK) »
Mike has sorted through the chaff and has found the heart of the problem. People don't read so well  ;D

On the basis of reading the question properly I will add this

Communication is the most important aspect of family history...whether it be myth or truth. We seem to be limited to the communication styles we take for granted. Writing, taping=oral or pictures/videoing=visual. Yet there are a few other ways to present a family story

Find out what each can do in the way of skill sets ie knitting or crocheting and getting them to knit/crochet a rug of the people that have populated their lives. Others may have favourite recipes they attach to certain family members. So get them to do a recipe with a background story of the person who first gave it to them.

Some may have craft skills or painting. These are all means of communication. The secret is to find what each individual will do without thinking it is work  :)
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 09 May 15 13:15 BST (UK) »
Mike has sorted through the chaff and has found the heart of the problem. People don't read so well  ;D

Ohh, I think people read very well really. They just try to help in their own way, from different aspects, views and experiences.

Monica  ;)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 09 May 15 15:13 BST (UK) »
It sounds a very good idea to me, I wish someone had suggested it to my elderly relatives before it was too late. I think as long as the title of the talk is along the lines that STG suggested eg "Saving Your Family's Stories/Memories," people will know exactly what the talk is going to be about and wont go expecting to be shown how to draw up their family tree.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 09 May 15 19:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone.  Lots of excellent ideas here.

STG
Always looking for GOODWINS in Berkshire :)