Author Topic: A RootsChat Database for British Home Children in Australia  (Read 27718 times)

Offline alanmack

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: A RootsChat Database for British Home Children in Australia
« Reply #9 on: Friday 15 May 15 16:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Debra,
         Karen beat me to it, so that's both of us Data Co-ordinators accounted for!  ;D

Thanks for those links. Great stuff and just what we need. Perhaps you should repeat the search one in a post to Australia Resources, assuming I've not missed one there already.

I had a good read of the document re the Benalla. As Karen says it's very good reading. From our point of view there is only one page (p.44 of 48) of major interest - the list of 40/41 Barnardo's Boys. It states 40 in several places in the document but there are 41 names on the list. The odd one is top of the list, a 9 yr old when all the rest are 14+. I'm puzzled by the frequent use of the term 'Nominee' which also applies to the 9yr old. but I'll put that query in a separate post.

Of that list of Benalla passengers 28 of the 41 Barnardo's Boys are already on the database so I feel the need to complete the task.

For other readers' benefit, anyone can transcribe such lists of Home Children (or as you might recognise them better, Child Migrants.) The only thing we ask is that you check the names against the database to avoid duplicate entries. The best way is to use Advanced Search and look for the ship, year and month only. Days of arrival sometimes vary with port of landing.

alanmack
Glamorgan - Carpenter, Chamberlain, Ellis, Watkins, Rees, Bevan
Wiltshire - Carpenter, Chamberlain, Ellis, Merrett
Essex - Burdon, Taylor, Menzies
Canada - Burdon, Parkinson
Australia - Carpenter, Burdon

Offline Beeonthebay

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 05 September 15 14:55 BST (UK) »
If you get the chance to get to Liverpool, England before the 4th of October 2015 there is a very interesting exhibition at the Liverpool Maritime Museum called "On Their Own", I went to see it yesterday and it was really moving.

http://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/maritime/exhibitions/child-migrants/
Williams, Owens, Pritchard, Povall, Banks, Brown.

Offline Bernie19

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 21 January 18 05:25 GMT (UK) »
Excellent resource, found information about my grandfather. Thank you

Offline Yonks Ago

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 21 January 18 08:29 GMT (UK) »
British Home Children was still coming to Australia into the 1970's. I know a number of these "children" some refused to find more on their British family and got on with their new life while others did find their family. Many was told that their parents had died and later found that this was not correct.

Yonks
Kilgallon Langdon Nicol Bolger Smith Carlisle Thomas Delahide Blackman Harley Amphlett Scarbourgh Murrish Oats Tonkin Aveyard Armitage Child Fox Bland Gomersal Mountain Gelder Harrison Armstrong Laws Steel Main Lambert Law Laws Christie Kirk Bell Black Amphlett Barclay Harley Dewar Rodger Fortune McCann Nealis Sutherland Rumgay

Offline Cats1723

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile

Offline Pinjarra1929

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 13 August 23 16:22 BST (UK) »
Hello Bob, :)

While it might be self explanatory for all those families involved directly from Britain, it may not suffice in Australia. Australia is made up with people from many, many Nations and some of those others and I will include myself as well, may need a bit more information on just what "British Home Children" are.

Is it possible to have that on the database, or here?

Hello Neil, incase this can help anyone who is unclear about who British Home Children are. According to my friend who is the chairman of the Olde Fairbridgians, British  Home Children is not really the description they wish to use, or be used I suppose, for the children who got emigrated to Australia without informed consent.
British children aged 3 to 18 ish were packed on ships in huge quantities constantly. 
It's difficult to believe this extraordinary miscarriage of justice was government sponsored children put to slave labour.  Estimate most have not had good ebecause those with power used their suffering to break them completely   by
were taken from their families usually because of an unforseen trauma, such as parental death. This traumatic transportation, or trafikking in reality - as uk government admits - of children without their families or a legal known guardian is hurting our broken  up families still. There is no justice in Britain   Australia,  Particularly.  Canada were last to have apology by the government.
Sorry this is not as well explained as I wish it. However serious anxieties were stamped into the brains of our relatives sent to Australia   Canada New Zealand  South Africa  Rhodesia etc. Empire building by filling with Good white stock.  and shares of profit from Child care keeps making these companies/charities richer day by day.
Please try to look at The Leaving of Liverpool film.
Oranges and Sunshine film.
Empty Cradles book by Social worker who found out and told the truth. Margaret Humphreys. Child Migrants Trust founder.  office in Perth Western Australia and Nottingham England.
Thank you for reading this. RiP the ignored British child Migrants and families who died with their identity still not given by the organisations.
a group of families and individuals Australia Fairbridge Farm School Pinjarra
justnre

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Jane ANDERSON nee DODD, 2 x g grandmother.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 18 August 23 09:16 BST (UK) »
The link to the original database doesn't seem to work anymore. Is there an update?

Gen in NBL UK
UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,
Sheffield: TURNER
Middlesex: RYDER
<br />Aberdeenshire: EDWARDS, BRODIE<br />Angus STEWART, DIXON, PETRIE

Offline Pinjarra1929

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 18 August 23 14:33 BST (UK) »
The link to the original database doesn't seem to work anymore. Is there an update?

Gen in NBL UK

Hello. I admit I only access the British Home Children database by difficulty, and sometimes I can't remember how to access the convoluted route I found works.  I try leave the database page constantly open on my gadget.
I'm unsure if there will be a reply with information that database is accessible a straightforward way. Hope so please. if not I can try explain my method of access? soon. thanks.

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Jane ANDERSON nee DODD, 2 x g grandmother.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 18 August 23 15:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks pinjarra1929
UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,
Sheffield: TURNER
Middlesex: RYDER
<br />Aberdeenshire: EDWARDS, BRODIE<br />Angus STEWART, DIXON, PETRIE