Author Topic: Marjory Sheach (1918-1990) Died -Dufftown (Other assoicated names Fox/Cooper)  (Read 8291 times)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Marjory Sheach (1918-1990) Died -Dufftown (Other assoicated names Fox/Cooper)
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 10 May 15 00:47 BST (UK) »
Where was Donald Shaw born and who were his parents?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Scotsquinne

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marjory Sheach (1918-1990) Died -Dufftown (Other assoicated names Fox/Cooper)
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 10 May 15 09:34 BST (UK) »
Where was Donald Shaw born and who were his parents?

He was born 'Donald John Shaw Mackay'  23/06/1909, his Father was Donald Mackay, his mother died one week after he was born due to complications at birth.  He was born at Moy, Inverness.  He was adopted by his neighbours (my Family) John Shaw & Margaret Shaw (a Shaw married a Shaw).  It was obviously decided before the birth was registered that he was going to be adopted by them, as his name had both his biological father & adoptive fathers names in it.  The birth certificate registered with his Surname as Mackay, but on later census records the Mackay part had been dropped, and he was noted down as Donald John Shaw.  His Death is also registered as Shaw (although I havent seen his death certificate so not sure if Mackay will be mentioned on it).  I have no trace of him after the 1911 Census at Moy, Inverness, but was told he (not his Adoptive Parents) went to Wales at some point, and died there in 1970 aged 61.  Also I think he was married twice.

There is a thread about Donald's adoptive Father, John Shaw here http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=708515.msg5517766#msg5517766
The little boy in the photo on the 1st page of that thread is Donald John Shaw Mackay :-)
Shaw & McGillivray (Daviot & Dunlichity, Dores, Inverness & Nairn)
McTavish (Inverness-shire)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 10 May 15 12:31 BST (UK) »
Donald's death was registered December qtr 1970 Shrewsbury Shropshire but there is a probate application here https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills

He died 15th Oct 1970 address The Gardens Leighton Hall Welshpool Montgomeryshire
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Scotsquinne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 10 May 15 13:10 BST (UK) »
Donald's death was registered December qtr 1970 Shrewsbury Shropshire but there is a probate application here https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills

He died 15th Oct 1970 address The Gardens Leighton Hall Welshpool Montgomeryshire

Thats great Carole.  Thanks.  Cant get that link to open at the mo, maybe as I'm on the ipad, will try via the laptop.  Would you presume that is his address, "The Gardens" rather than he died in the gardens of Leighton Hall?  Youve discovered more than me, I'm more aquaint with searching Scottish Records, not quite got to grips with England & beyond as yet. :-)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 10 May 15 14:18 BST (UK) »
Hi

I think that would be his home address as shown on the application for probate but it looks as though he actually died in Shropshire.  The probate was in Sheffield

Offline Scotsquinne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 10 May 15 14:22 BST (UK) »

Got the link to work, cheers.... it looks like his address right enough. Another small clue on the way to solving this one :-)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 10 May 15 22:17 BST (UK) »
Just going back to your original query

Thanks for that.  Her name is added to a gravestone that one of my Family 'Shaw' is on (at Moy) so just trying to figure out the connection to him.

So we have a gravestone with the names of Marjory Sheach born England died 1990 Dufftown, her son Ronald Fox who died in 1970 in England and Donald John Shaw who also died 1970 in England.

Are they the only 3 names on the memorial?

Clearly there is no problem explaining Donald's name on the memorial given he was born Scotland etc etc. 

Ronald's name can be explained as per previous reply

BUT - what was Marjory's connection to the Shaw/MacKay family?

My theory is that her 3rd (and hopefully) her final husband, Alexander Sheach, was Scottish and that sometime between 1974-1990 the pair of them went off to live in Scotland.  So I think the connection is via Sheach rather than Marjory herself

Offline Scotsquinne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 10 May 15 22:41 BST (UK) »
Just going back to your original query

Thanks for that.  Her name is added to a gravestone that one of my Family 'Shaw' is on (at Moy) so just trying to figure out the connection to him.

So we have a gravestone with the names of Marjory Sheach born England died 1990 Dufftown, her son Ronald Fox who died in 1970 in England and Donald John Shaw who also died 1970 in England.

Are they the only 3 names on the memorial?

Clearly there is no problem explaining Donald's name on the memorial given he was born Scotland etc etc. 

Ronald's name can be explained as per previous reply

BUT - what was Marjory's connection to the Shaw/MacKay family?

My theory is that her 3rd (and hopefully) her final husband, Alexander Sheach, was Scottish and that sometime between 1974-1990 the pair of them went off to live in Scotland.  So I think the connection is via Sheach rather than Marjory herself

Not sure that theory works as the stone looks like it was originally put up for the two 1970 deaths, while both Donald Shaw & Ronald Fox were in Welshpool, and before she married Sheach. 

Stone reads...

In Loving Memory of
Ronald Fox, died 8 June 1970, aged 16 years

Donald Shaw, late of Moy, died 15 Oct 1970, aged 61 years

Marjory Sheach 1919-1990

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 10 May 15 22:47 BST (UK) »
Back to the drawing board then  ;D