Author Topic: Marjory Sheach (1918-1990) Died -Dufftown (Other assoicated names Fox/Cooper)  (Read 8290 times)

Offline Scotsquinne

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marjory Sheach (1918-1990) Died -Dufftown (Other assoicated names Fox/Cooper)
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 10 May 15 22:50 BST (UK) »
Just going back to your original query

Thanks for that.  Her name is added to a gravestone that one of my Family 'Shaw' is on (at Moy) so just trying to figure out the connection to him.

So we have a gravestone with the names of Marjory Sheach born England died 1990 Dufftown, her son Ronald Fox who died in 1970 in England and Donald John Shaw who also died 1970 in England.

Are they the only 3 names on the memorial?

Clearly there is no problem explaining Donald's name on the memorial given he was born Scotland etc etc. 

Ronald's name can be explained as per previous reply

BUT - what was Marjory's connection to the Shaw/MacKay family?

My theory is that her 3rd (and hopefully) her final husband, Alexander Sheach, was Scottish and that sometime between 1974-1990 the pair of them went off to live in Scotland.  So I think the connection is via Sheach rather than Marjory herself

The gravestone is one of those little open book types, and really looked complete with Ronald Fox on one side and Donald Shaw on the other.... Marjory's name is filling up the small amount of space under her sons name, not as if it was planned to be there.  There is also the question as to why the Ronald Fox is not buried with his Father? Or in the case of this being a memorial only, rather than Ronalds burial place, why Donald's name is added to the stone?  Only coincidences is they both died in the Welshpool area in 1970 approx 4 months apart? 
Shaw & McGillivray (Daviot & Dunlichity, Dores, Inverness & Nairn)
McTavish (Inverness-shire)

Offline Scotsquinne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Marjory Sheach (1918-1990) Died -Dufftown (Other assoicated names Fox/Cooper)
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 10 May 15 22:52 BST (UK) »
Back to the drawing board then  ;D

That made me laugh..... Yep, answers on a postcard... ;-)

Offline Scotsquinne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 10 May 15 22:57 BST (UK) »
I think I will have to order a copy of Donalds Death Cert in the hope that the informant is Marjory, and it states the relationship between them? 

Offline Scotsquinne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 10 May 15 23:00 BST (UK) »
Or the possible theory they were all living together as a Family, and never got the chance to marry?  When her son died before Donald, she took the opportunity of adding his name to the memorial knowing that Donalds ashes were to be interred in his hometown of Moy? 

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 10 May 15 23:12 BST (UK) »
Ronald George Fox b 26.5.1954 also died in Welshpool Montgomeryshire in 1970 which is a bit of a coincidence isn't it??

His death cert will show his address at the time of death which possibly may be the same as Donald's but we know Marjory was his mother.  His birth registration shows mothers maiden name as Cooper

Ronald was born 7yrs after she married George Fox so you may want to consider getting his birth cert as well.   
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Scotsquinne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 10 May 15 23:23 BST (UK) »
Ronald George Fox b 26.5.1954 also died in Welshpool Montgomeryshire in 1970 which is a bit of a coincidence isn't it??

His death cert will show his address at the time of death which possibly may be the same as Donald's but we know Marjory was his mother.  His birth registration shows mothers maiden name as Cooper

Ronald was born 7yrs after she married George Fox so you may want to consider getting his birth cert as well.   

Yes, think I will need to order both Donald's & Ronald's death certificates to try and solve this! 

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 10 May 15 23:54 BST (UK) »
Perhaps something and nothing here

Donald Shaw's death was registered in Shrewsbury

There is a death in Shrewsbury for a Duncan James Sheach born 1926 died 23.12.2003 (see probate link)

SP has his birth in Inverness but no birth in Inverness for an Alexander Sheach (and no mention of Alexander on that headstone)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline highlandgal

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 11 October 15 16:01 BST (UK) »
Marjory was married to my grandfather Alexander (his second wife) when she died.

She became his housekeeper following the death of his first wife and they lived mostly in Meikle Wartle.

Alexander is from the Dufftown area hence the family stones there - although I don't know why Marjory's family would have been buried there.

I'm pretty certain she had more than one child - perhaps even two more who were certainly alive in the late 80s.

Offline Scotsquinne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 11 October 15 17:16 BST (UK) »
Marjory was married to my grandfather Alexander (his second wife) when she died.

She became his housekeeper following the death of his first wife and they lived mostly in Meikle Wartle.

Alexander is from the Dufftown area hence the family stones there - although I don't know why Marjory's family would have been buried there.

I'm pretty certain she had more than one child - perhaps even two more who were certainly alive in the late 80s.

Ah I see.  I still havent figured out the connection to Donald Shaw, apart from the fact her son & Donald both died in the Welshpool area in the same year?  Donald was born in Moy so can understand why he is there, but havent solved the mystery yet... :-)