Author Topic: Ruiton Travellers  (Read 4741 times)

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Can't see the wood for the !!!
    • View Profile
Ruiton Travellers
« on: Friday 08 May 15 14:32 BST (UK) »
Hi does anyone know anything about the "Ruiton Travellers" of Staffordshire, mainly metal dealers some sand men and Salt dealers and some hawkers..
I am particularly interested in the mid 1800s
thank you
Trees
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

For details of my research interests please see
mcmullin.me.uk
Also read the children a story from Story Time at the same web site.

Offline jacquelineve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Ruiton Travellers
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 May 15 10:24 BST (UK) »
Hello Trees
                   Names?

My Dad can remember  salt sellers from Gornal.

Jackie
Dudley Worcs:Ellis Durkin Oakley Rich Smith
Baggot Saunders Turner Williams Hobbs
Harts Hill: Baggot Wright

Tipton:Whitehouse (boatman) Timmins
Yorkshire:Littlewood Wilcockson
Derbyshire:Wilcockson

Derby Belper:Spencer
Herefordshire Brampton Bryan:-Turner

Worcs. Hereford. Gloucs.
Hodgetts

Radnorshire: Meredith
Bristol Somerset: Box

Census Information is Crown Copyright from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 May 15 11:25 BST (UK) »
Ok her we go
FLAVELL Benjamin born 1811 in Gornal son of a nailer married to Jane LEWIS born 1815 in Gornal  daughter of Joseph LEWIS (a sand dealer) and Sarah STANLEY.
Benjamin and Jane FLAVELL were hawkers, metal dealers, found on various censuses in Blakeland St Little Bromwich
Their children all said to be from Gornal /Sedgley or Ruiton were
James,Sarah, Elizabeth ,Joseph, Benjamin,Emma ,Hannah, Mary,Ann,Jane, Ellen Eliza and Charles Henry.
Sarah FLAVELL married George GINDER. 
Benjamin FLAVELL (born 1845 Gornal)like his dad a metal Dealer married Hannah WILLIAMS daughter of John WILLIAMS a metal dealer They had six children one daughter had the unusual name Parthena.

Joseph LEWIS and Sarah STANLEY had 10 children of which I know
Joseph married Mary Millward and was a metal dealer
Jane I have already mentioned married Benjamin FLAVELL
Ann married Richard WATTON
John married Mary STANLEY

I would like any information about the life they lived I find them on different censuses in Blakeland St and wondered if they all settled in that street or was there a camp on the street and they lived in caravans? I have found a site that suggests they used donkey carts to sell sand and salt if so what did they live in?
Grateful for any information
Trees

mcmullin.me.uk

Offline rob g

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 May 15 08:32 BST (UK) »
Just visited your site. Very good. I am related to nearly all the oldest Romany traveller community. Allways happy to share stories crack etc. You will probably know that most travellers had rented houses/rooms. In winter months. My own family lived in 9×9 tents. Dad getting his first trailer. a whopper.in early 1950s. We used horse's. / Vehicles. etc to hawk goods. All over the country. were earthenware pottery hawkers. Horse and general dealers. although settled. My son's still live the Romany lifestyle. In trailers. a rich lifestyle sadly nearly at a end.  rootschat. is a fantastic site for all research. nice to see yours. cushty bokt. rob
romany history, mitchell family history. Earthenware. general . And horse. I dealers/hawkers. market trading.  lancashire. cumbria. staffordshire.scotland. paternal, side. wilson. lee. burton. miller .burnside. Smith. varey. howard. Jones. Lowther. Evens. Ward. Dale.maternal, side. miller cumbria, stewert. mitchell. allan. Ireland. donaghue, Kelly. Murphy. Young. Plus many others. .

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 10 May 15 09:33 BST (UK) »
Thank you rob just what I needed to get a better idea of the life. Did families ever leave children with family members while they were travelling?  i seem to have some older ladies on censuses as married no husband home and severl children all with different surnames as lodgers the surnames look like those I have managed to link with the Flavell family. Were they left so they could attend school?

mcmullin.me.uk

Offline rob g

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 10 May 15 13:36 BST (UK) »
Hi. Again. Yes lots of Romany families were large and left children with. Family members. I myself had cousin's who stayed with us for months till we met or camped together again. More like siblings really. And no not for schooling. Just made thing's easier. Ever tried getting 2 adults.10 children. 2 dogs and all the paraphernalia.of life into a livingwagon van or cart.? Was better for all to let some of the children stay. I never went to school.self educated.I had over 50 1st cousins. Only a handful were literate. But all were successful in life. Many becoming millionaires.! Anyway nice to chat. Yours rob..
romany history, mitchell family history. Earthenware. general . And horse. I dealers/hawkers. market trading.  lancashire. cumbria. staffordshire.scotland. paternal, side. wilson. lee. burton. miller .burnside. Smith. varey. howard. Jones. Lowther. Evens. Ward. Dale.maternal, side. miller cumbria, stewert. mitchell. allan. Ireland. donaghue, Kelly. Murphy. Young. Plus many others. .

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 12 May 15 14:27 BST (UK) »
Just back from a short trip in our motorcaravan and already planing to go off again on Friday, so sorry for not replying to your interesting post Rob. Do present day traveller children still evade the school master? Yes I can imagine it would be difficult to find a place for everyone especially in wet weather. But I woundered how my grandparents managed with 15 children and a elderly widowed mother in a two bedroomed back to back house in Aston. I did think overcrowding was restricted to city folk untill I read about cottage life in the 1830s they were just as crammed it aided the cholera to spread so fast. Daughters were sent to service at 13 to free up space and encouraged to marry very young my gran was only 16 marrying told the priest she was 18 mind.
I think every thing had to be neat and tidy there was no room for anything to be out of place and Gran used to say soap cost little and woe betide her children be seen in dirty clothes
With your help I am getting a greater understanding of these hard working famillies.
Many many thanks for sharing  your knowledge
Trees

mcmullin.me.uk

Offline Heather McWilliam Rawles

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 20 January 18 16:13 GMT (UK) »
Interested in the information shared here, my great great grandmother was Betsy Fullard, born in Sedgley, Ruiton in 1843, and her family settled in Blakeland Street, Small Heath. Several houses in that street were listed in various census as being occupied by Fullards, and they were frequently listed as Metal Dealers, Hawkers or travelers. One of Betsy's brothers married Hannah Flavell, another family with similar background. Their mother was Hannah Baines, father John Fullard. Does anyone know if these names would be settled traveling/ romany families?