Author Topic: Derby Railway Servants Orphanage - death registered in West Derby, Liverpool  (Read 2893 times)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
There is unfortunately no legal requirement for inquest reports to be preserved; and usually they aren't. The most reliable source is the newspaper reports of the inquest; and I would get the death certificate first, as remember he was a railway worker, and it is quite likely that his death occurred anywhere that Liverpool train crews worked to; possibly even as far as London or Glasgow.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Derby Railway Servants Orphanage - death registered in West Derby, Liverpool
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 10 May 15 12:17 BST (UK) »
The death was recorded in the West Derby Registration District so we can assume that the death took place in the Liverpool or Bootle area. Bootle would come under the Coroner for South West Lancashire. I would think the inquest records for South West Lancashire like Liverpool have not survived. I can't find any mention at all of this death in any of the available online newspapers.

Blue 

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Derby Railway Servants Orphanage - death registered in West Derby, Liverpool
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 10 May 15 12:30 BST (UK) »
I would get the death certificate first, as remember he was a railway worker, and it is quite likely that his death occurred anywhere that Liverpool train crews worked to; possibly even as far as London or Glasgow.

I don't think that is likely,  as deaths had to be registered where they occurred. If he had died in London the death would have been recorded there.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 10 May 15 12:45 BST (UK) »
This is the death index I assume is the one for William:-

Name: William Hewitson
Registration Year: 1896
Registration Quarter: Jan-Feb-Mar
Age at Death: 44
Registration district: West Derby
Volume: 8b
Page: 235

Blue

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 10 May 15 13:00 BST (UK) »
Though that makes it look much more likely that the incident took place in the Liverpool area, there is still the possibility that he was critically injured away from Liverpool and returned home to die.
Just checked the Railway accident archive September 1895- March 1896 Nothing shown. You really ought to obtain the death certificate to proceed.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline michelew

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 10 May 15 13:09 BST (UK) »
I will purchase the death certificate -it should at least give me the name of the coroner and date of the inquest - I can take it from there

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 10 May 15 14:24 BST (UK) »
If the death was in Kirkdale or Walton the Coroner is likely to have been Liverpool Coroner Thomas Edward Sampson. If the death was in Bootle or the area around Bootle now under Sefton Borough Council the Coroner is likely to have been (Sir) Samuel Brighouse.

Blue